BvS Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is buttheart. Its more disappointment but regardless it did better than I expected since it came out with critics crucifying the movie from day one. Even with 29% RT the movie continue to truck along to over 700 million in two weeks. I'm sure some haters are relief that this moving isn't going to break Marvel's Avengers record. Being that it's the second DCEU film once WB gets it right I expect DC CBM to take the crown of highest grossing CBM all time.

Well, I certainly wouldn't have liked it if a bad movie broke the record of a good movie. :oldrazz:

Yeah 2 films last year out of how many films last year were at a billion by this time? Again spoiled fans thinking every film should make a billion opening weekend or its a bomb.

A. No movie has made $1 billion opening weekend

B. No one has called this movie a bomb except you and others with your agenda

C. You're just throwing insults and picking fights for no reason

Which was exactly the plan when they buried yesterday's poor showing until after the market closed, then put out a release ignoring the Monday total of $698 million and instead touting the (unofficial) $700 million number for Tuesday. Result: epic drop on Monday is ignored while a future goal they technically haven't hit yet is celebrated. PR strategy worked like a charm.

WB's PR team need a raise for being able to manage this films box office blunder, lol.

No one is buttheart. Its more disappointment but regardless it did better than I expected since it came out with critics crucifying the movie from day one. Even with 29% RT the movie continue to truck along to over 700 million in two weeks. I'm sure some haters are relief that this moving isn't going to break Marvel's Avengers record. Being that it's the second DCEU film once WB gets it right I expect DC CBM to take the crown of highest grossing CBM all time.

Dude, stop. Think about what you type.

You're 100% correct they really can't afford to be bad. Not even one at this point. They need to get Marvel-esque solo critical reception and box office returns without trying to be Marvel.

I'd be more concerned about the critical reception than I would BO totals. After a misstep, it often takes a movie or two before trust builds up. Sort of like when Fox released X:FC. It was clearly better than Last Stand or Origins, but didn't do the box office they did. Some people lost trust (or whatever you want to call it) after Last Stand and even more did after Origins. FC put X-Men back on the right track and DoFP cashed in. I think something like that could work for DC/WB.

From a BO perspective, BvS did (maybe) sort of okay, but a LOT of trust has been lost and MoS before it sure didn't help matters. They NEED another FC to get them back on track and another DoFP to cash in. That IMO gets them to about where Fox is now. If Apocalypse is bad, the X-Men franchise could be in trouble.

I think Marvel is the only group (other than Fox Deadpool) that has much capital built up. Take Thor for example. 1 and 2 are often held up as couple of Marvel's weaker efforts (Liked Thor 1 a lot myself, but think that's a character that is very difficult to get right), but I don't think Ragnarok will suffer because Marvel has had a lot of critically accepted movies and even most of the people who didn't particularly like TDW can still see it as a one off and not a trend.

Are we expecting today's actuals to come in after NYSE closing again?

Obviously no movie has made a billion opening weekend, its called figure of speech or jokingly peoples expectations.

Oh please people having been throwing bomb and failure in these threads since the negative reviews broke. Im a full supporter of this movie by the way and had to listen to it repeatedly. Having a discussion really, if thats picking a fight then just ignore me if you cant handle it.

This movie did not bomb nor is it a failure. Disappoint is more of the word for this movie. We all knew coming in to this movie that if it was a hit with critics and all fans that this movie would easily have been the highest or second highest grossing CBM all-time. Since it drop the ball with critics and some fans this movie stagger and failed to achieve what it could have achieved. It is now simply a movie that starts the DCEU instead of a movie that changes the CBM industry. At this point I think WB is just happen to see that the movie wasn't a BO failure.

Im a full supporter of this movie by the way

No **** Sherlock. Take it somewhere else. This is a box office thread and you're obviously not interested in talking box office.

Wait doesn't WB's upcoming Tarzan movie have a ridiculously big price tag? That could potentially set them back even further.

Not true. Tons of people have called this movie a failure or bomb in this thread. There's always going to be the hater and the one that defend the movie. Than you have the so call BO expert follow by the casual lurker.

Not true. Tons of people have called this movie a failure or bomb in this thread. There's always going to be the hater and the one that define the movie. Than you have the so call BO expert follow by the casual lurker.

Who have yet to be proven wrong. If this movie makes a billion at the box office, I will happily eat crow.

Not true. Tons of people have called this movie a failure or bomb in this thread.

Links please. No need for a ton, three will do.

FYI failure =\= bomb. Is it that you don't like hearing the word failure? Because sadly BvS is more than likely going to be considered one. That's not fans' fault.

Bomb= film that loses a lot of money.

Disappointing= film that loses a little, breaks even, or earns a much smaller profit than expected or desired.

Hit: film that earns big profits.

Most here would see BVS falls under disappointing.

I've asked this of someone else, but don't think I got an answer. What did you think it would do before it came out? Did you have a prediction? I thought maybe IM3 numbers (400 DOM and 1.2B WW), but the more important thing IMO is that it WAS PRETTY MUCH PANNED across the board. Now I don't listen much to critics and I sort of liked BvS (maybe the giant screwdriver I walked in with helped??? :woot: ). There are clearly a lot of people out there who don't think it was a good movie and not all of them are critics. While I thought BvS was fine, I can certainly see why people wouldn't like it. It was a step up from MoS, but not on the level of Nolan's work and a lot of MCU movies.

WB has to pick up the pace. If they don't (and SOON and CONSISTENTLY), the DCEU is in serious, serious trouble.

Wait doesn't WB's upcoming Tarzan movie have a ridiculously big price tag? That could potentially set them back even further.

Yep. I don't see that movie making much profit if any. WB is way too liberal with their check book.

For those wondering what kind of effect this poor BO performance will have:

Warner Bros. Mulls Releasing Fewer Films as 'Batman v. Superman' Stalls

CEO Kevin  Tsujihara is said to want to reduce releases and focus on his trio of potential hitmaker silos (sound familiar?)

After an abysmal run of expensive underperformers including Jupiter Ascending, Pan and In the Heart of the Sea, the studio launched its effort at a Marvel-style film universe with the DC Comics movie that had been touted as proof the regime installed in 2013 and headed by chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara was getting on track. But a dizzying 69 percent plunge that followed its March-record $166.1 million domestic opening ($422.5 million worldwide) means Batman is not a clear win.

Some competitors say the film may turn a profit but hardly will be the money gusher studios hope for when they pour massive resources into making a giant tentpole with a big star — with a budget in this case said to be in excess of $300 million, and Ben Affleck. "The biggest problem," says the head of a rival studio, "is that it is not turning [DC] into Marvel. The audience has communicated, as have the critics." One agent notes BvS likely won't get to $1 billion despite launching the universe with "two of the most iconic characters in history." Pointing out that Jurassic World pulled in $1.67 billion globally, he continues, "you can't tell me Batman v. Superman is so much less valuable."

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in. Now, with DC movies dated through 2020, the outcome has led to a flurry of rumors that the studio will make adjustments — maybe add a new producer? — rather than allow BvS director Zack Snyder to proceed with the two-part Justice League. But sources with firsthand knowledge of the situation say the studio has no such plans. One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

Basically this implies that WB expected BvS to make at least 1 billion at the box office

No **** Sherlock. Take it somewhere else. This is a box office thread and you're obviously not interested in talking box office.

I am talking box office and if your resorting to name calling and cursing as well as acting like a child because I liked the film and support what its made then I have nothing else to say to you

I've asked this of someone else, but don't think I got an answer. What did you think it would do before it came out? Did you have a prediction? I thought maybe IM3 numbers (400 DOM and 1.2B WW), but the more important thing IMO is that it WAS PRETTY MUCH PANNED across the board. Now I don't listen much to critics and I sort of liked BvS (maybe the giant screwdriver I walked in with helped??? :woot: ). There are clearly a lot of people out there who don't think it was a good movie and not all of them are critics. While I thought BvS was fine, I can certainly see why people wouldn't like it. It was a step up from MoS, but not on the level of Nolan's work and a lot of MCU movies.

WB has to pick up the pace. If they don't (and SOON and CONSISTENTLY), the DCEU is in serious, serious trouble.

I expected the movie to be awful, because Snyder is awful. I also expected it to make over a billion dollars at the Box Office because it's Batman and Superman. Also because Michael Bay's terrible Transformers movies make bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"