BvS Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not making deadpool's number in the domestic box office. I don't see BvS making another 100million

That's the fault of marketing.

Imagine if this movie had shown the first trailer, and a cut down version of trailer 2. Then did the rest in world building pieces like Clark Kent reading back a story he wrote about Batman, Lex doing a presser about rebuilding Metropolis, or sitting in a room studying footage of Superman and Batman, Batman building the mech suit. Stuff not in the movie that is purely world building. No WW, no Doomsday. The reception and critic reviews would be turned on their head.

Deadpool made it's money off marketing smart, it's not a funny movie after the first 30 minutes, in fact it gets boring in Act 2 and then the s*** effects and poor fight at the end are lame.

I don't think so. If anything the huge opening proves that the marketing nailed it completely; it was everything else that was the problem once the film was out and the embargo was lifted.

:whatever: at comparing BvS to Ant-Man.

I think even if you ignore Antman and just look at other heroes, the argument still stands. What people forget is that before the MCU, the public at large didn't really know any of the Avengers.

Marvels "trinity" has always been Spiderman, Hulk and (within the past decades) Wolverine. Comic fans, and people who had seen the Marvel cartoons had seen the Avengers but the general public MAYBE might recognise a member or so in passing.

DCs trinity are different. Children in the most remote places on earth know who Batman and Superman are and their symbols and merchandise are so iconic they've grown WAY WAAAY beyond the characters, comics and movies.

Marvels made the Avengers and other characters in its universe big (especially iron man and cap) just from making great movies and building the character brands, but they're still NOTHING on the DC Trinity.

This movie was a pop-culture event as much as it was a CBM. Even arguing that it's done better than "most" Marvel movies, isn't good. This is why, before it was out, even the films biggest detractors couldn't see how this film could NOT make a billion, even if it was bad.

Last edited:
So Deadpool will gross more than this in the US... lol

Imagine if this movie had shown the first trailer, and a cut down version of trailer 2. Then did the rest in world building pieces like Clark Kent reading back a story he wrote about Batman, Lex doing a presser about rebuilding Metropolis, or sitting in a room studying footage of Superman and Batman, Batman building the mech suit. Stuff not in the movie that is purely world building. No WW, no Doomsday. The reception and critic reviews would be turned on their head.

Deadpool made it's money off marketing smart, it's not a funny movie after the first 30 minutes, in fact it gets boring in Act 2 and then the s*** effects and poor fight at the end are lame.

:dry:

Marketing is the reason both Batman v Superman and Deadpool had great opening weekends.

After that though quality is what ensures legs, something which Deadpool has and BvS sorely lacked, hence the huge drop.

So you should be thanking the great marketing team WB has for allowing BvS that great opening weekend, not blaming it for this films terrible legs.

Deadpool made money because it had a lot of repeat viewings because people loved it. The marketing helps opening weekend... doesn't explain it's legs.

Deadpool grossed more than alot of movies. Movies with bigger and more known heroes, and 50 - 60% larger budgets(alot of them). Success isn't measured by how runaway hits otherwise a completely unknown property like Avatar has ruined hollywood profiting forever.

Deadpool grossed more than alot of movies. Movies with bigger and more known heroes, and 50 - 60% larger budgets(alot of them). Success isn't measured by how runaway hits otherwise a completely unknown property like Avatar has ruined hollywood profiting forever.
Never mind Deadpool, it's not even going to catch the US audience of the last two solo Batman films.

I can't even fathom how we reached that possibility. A concept film 70 years in the making and it arrives with a murmur. I liked the film a lot and this only mounts onto my crushing disappointment post-release.

Deadpool made money because it had a lot of repeat viewings because people loved it. The marketing helps opening weekend... doesn't explain it's legs.

Deadpool only showed a bit of Act 1 in it's marketing and then marketed around that.

BvS showed all 3 acts so there were no surprises. It's the surprises that make the difference and the movie would have received significantly better reviews if we didn't know of WW or Doomsday going in to it, and seen much less of the fight, the warehouse scene etc

Studios get about 50% of the domestic box office and less than 40% of the international box office. So, they have quite a bit of ways to go to be "just fine".

If it takes them 6 years to see profit off the movie, then that is not good.

Fact of the matter is, WB was expecting this to be a sure fire box office money machine. As it should be. But it's not. Even if they do see profit, it still grossly underperformed expectations. And the studio will see that as a very serious problem, as they should.

Also, given the horrible legs for this film, things are far more likely to get worse before they get better in terms of box office.

So, how much money should it have made by now (i.e. ten days into its theatrical run) in order for it to not be considered a failure?

After 10 days the total it has now would be fine, if the 1st weekend not been so high. The problem with the steep drop is that indicates it's not going to make a vast amount more for its full run. Steep drops, bad legs. Lower drops, good legs.

So in terms of raw numbers, the current total is good. But the downward trend is not, and that's what will be of concern to WB.

Last edited:
Never mind Deadpool, it's not even going to catch the US audience of the last two solo Batman films.

I can't even fathom how we reached that possibility. A concept film 70 years in the making and it arrives with a murmur. I liked the film a lot and this only mounts onto my crushing disappointment post-release.

It's definitely disappointing.

However there is no precedent on reboots. They are their own thing in many ways. If Bale was in this we'd have a more clear idea of the failure. But realistically The last batman reboot along with the last spiderman one..I'd imagine even if Furious 9 arrived as a reboot(no Vin) or Harry Potter no original cast there would be a no precedent. Could be bigger could be smaller but the idea remains. The bat films mind you were on a steep domestic decline on the way out. As for murmur, it definitely arrived big enough, the holds and people being turned away is definitely a problem and one WB needs to address/plan around.

But this Deadpool thing is increasingly off base and can be used to argue just about every bigger cbm a failure.

The film's 2nd-weekend drop is only 62% when rightfully leaving out the Thursday previews of its 1st week, which isn't that bad. Also, once again, it's been out for only ten days. By the end of its run, it will have turned a profit.

The 800 million dollar worldwide box office for this film will be widely regarded as a failure.

Yeah ASM2 made 700million and that was regarded as a financial failure. What more for a movie with both batman and superman? It's a disaster!

The film's 2nd-weekend drop is only 62% when rightfully leaving out the Thursday previews of its 1st week, which isn't that bad. Also, once again, it's been out for only ten days. By the end of its run, it will have turned a profit.

I am sorry but a 50 odd million profit on an investment of 400 mil is not acceptable

Bvs has already made $682 Mil in its second week and has made more than Man of Steel in its entire theatrical run with at complete total of 668 Mil. BvS is a hit. Nothing to worry about.

The 800 million dollar worldwide box office for this film will be widely regarded as a failure.

Man of Steel went on to earn an additional $90,000,000 domestically after its 2nd weekend drop of 64.6%. Hence, I believe that BvS will earn at least that much more domestically but most likely more. So, we're looking at a domestic return of $360,000,000. As for its foreign return, I'm predicting at least another $100,000,000, which will result in a final foreign total of ~$530,000,000 and worldwide total of $900,000,000.

MoS made less than Guardians of the Galaxy

Batman vs Superman will make less than Deadpool

Looks like WB just needs to make sure JL doesn't open the same year than a Franklin Richards Son of a Genius movie, and it will be fine.

Bvs has already made $682 Mil in its second week and has made more than Man of Steel in its entire theatrical run with at complete total of 668 Mil. BvS is a hit. Nothing to worry about.

I could say the same about most comic-book movies.

Man of Steel went on to earn an additional $90,000,000 domestically after its 2nd weekend drop of 64.6%. Hence, I believe that BvS will earn at least that much more domestically but most likely more. So, we're looking at a domestic return of $360,000,000. As for its foreign return, I'm predicting at least another $100,000,000, which will result in a final foreign total of ~$530,000,000 and worldwide total of $900,000,000.

Which is still completely unacceptable and the most meagre of profits, if that. WB will be gutted that it limps its way to $900M.

Heck, some box office analysts were projecting that this needs to hit over $900M to break even and they haven't pulled that figure out of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"