BvS Batman V Superman Box Office Prediction - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
This film making $700 million in less then 2 weeks amongst all the negative reviews and internet hate is impressive. Clearly people are going to see it regardless. I have yet to meet anyone in my day to day travels that didnt
Like it as ussual the only loud negative voices are confined to the internets.

The massive BO drops say otherwise.

This film making $700 million in less then 2 weeks amongst all the negative reviews and internet hate is impressive. Clearly people are going to see it regardless. I have yet to meet anyone in my day to day travels that didnt

It's not that impressive given that a very large chunk of that was made opening weekend, which is where the movie's hype is in play and not it's quality. Once the WOM started there was one of the worst drops a superhero movie has had, and that's without any relevant competition whatsoever.

BvS was always set to make a lot of money in general terms (meaning much more than the average movie), but it's also forced to make a lot due to it's budget and I don't think anyone foresaw it being able to make as little as the trend is currently indicating.

As for "hate" (a pretty ridiculous word in this context imo), anecdotal experiences never really matter for big issues like these. I've met people that disliked the movie so much that they left the theater before it was over, but I know better than to think they represent a relevant part of the audience.

Last edited:

Some people, not most, and certainly not all, are seeing it regardless.

And that can be said of any film.

Unfortunately the rapidly diminishing returns are not enough to make $700mil ww at 12 days impressive, when about $420mil of that came from the 1st weekend and there has been no competition at all to contend with. It's legs are terrible, and that is never impressive.

Last edited:
Some people, not most, and certainly not all, are seeing it regardless.

And that can be said of any film.

Unfortunately the rapidly diminishing returns are not enough to make $700mil ww at 12 days impressive, when about $410mil of that came from the 1st weekend and there has been no competition at all to contend with. It's legs are terrible, and that is never impressive.

Imagine how remarkably lower that figure would be if the release had been staggered worldwide? This could have been WB's version of Heavens Gate. This film is a textbook example of what a front-loaded film acts like.

Yeah, I think 3.9 is the more likely of the possible solutions. 2.7 does seem too low, and doesn't take much thinking to work out at all as that's the obvious answer.

3.9 makes a lot more sense.

Never mind. Got that wrong.

I remember when I expect BvS to be one of the top 3 highest grossing movies in 2016.

Now I don't think it'll even reach the top 10 this year, seriously Suicide Squad has a higher chance at beating BvS at the box office this year if it's good.

I think everyone did. I also think NO ONE prior to the terrible reviews predicted that it would barely break even and then some.

But the reviews clearly hurt the film which led to poor WOM. It is what it is.

The question now is: does it make "enough" for WB to feel confident in the current game plan? As someone here suggested, perhaps changing the schedule to have a WW and Batman solo film preclude the current Justice League 1 might be a smart move to drum up a bit more buzz and right a few wrongs.

I enjoyed BVS and am excited to see Batman recruit the JL. But I can also admit that moving forward with the plan before BVS might not be in WB and DCEU best interest.

I think everyone did. I also think NO ONE prior to the terrible reviews predicted that it would barely break even and then some.

Hi. I did. And a lot of other writers who got advance screenings. This is why press are still relevant :yay:

Hi. I did. :yay:

I stand corrected. Perhaps you and maybe only a few anywhere did.

EDIT: I see you mentioned those who saw advanced screenings...In my post I really meant say 6 months prior to its opening that everyone expected a huge win.

I remember when I expect BvS to be one of the top 3 highest grossing movies in 2016.

Now I don't think it'll even reach the top 10 this year, seriously Suicide Squad has a higher chance at beating BvS at the box office this year if it's good.

I think it'll make the top 10, but am not really up on the broad range of movies. For example, I know nothing about the animated movies and almost never go to see them because my kids are, thankfully, old enough to not want to watch Shrek 8 million times.

Where do people think BvS will end up on the 2016 BO and what movies do you think will best it?

I was just eyeballing the numbers and if BvS takes a yuge hit this weekend, I'm not sure it'll pass Zootopia. If it does drop again, I could see the theater count dropping well below Zootopia. If they are within, say, 3M of each other this weekend, what then?

I have to say, I don't really WANT BvS to tank, but I have a morbid fascination about it.

But the reviews clearly hurt the film which led to poor WOM. It is what it is.

The question now is: does it make "enough" for WB to feel confident in the current game plan? As someone here suggested, perhaps changing the schedule to have a WW and Batman solo film preclude the current Justice League 1 might be a smart move to drum up a bit more buzz and right a few wrongs.

I enjoyed BVS and am excited to see Batman recruit the JL. But I can also admit that moving forward with the plan before BVS might not be in WB and DCEU best interest.

given the reception, I think a reshuffling of releases would be smart, but THOSE movies HAVE to be good for it to work. They don't have to make major bank, but they need to have good reviews and WOM.

For those wondering what kind of effect this poor BO performance will have:

Warner Bros. Mulls Releasing Fewer Films as 'Batman v. Superman' Stalls

CEO Kevin  Tsujihara is said to want to reduce releases and focus on his trio of potential hitmaker silos (sound familiar?)

After an abysmal run of expensive underperformers including Jupiter Ascending, Pan and In the Heart of the Sea, the studio launched its effort at a Marvel-style film universe with the DC Comics movie that had been touted as proof the regime installed in 2013 and headed by chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara was getting on track. But a dizzying 69 percent plunge that followed its March-record $166.1 million domestic opening ($422.5 million worldwide) means Batman is not a clear win.

Some competitors say the film may turn a profit but hardly will be the money gusher studios hope for when they pour massive resources into making a giant tentpole with a big star — with a budget in this case said to be in excess of $300 million, and Ben Affleck. "The biggest problem," says the head of a rival studio, "is that it is not turning [DC] into Marvel. The audience has communicated, as have the critics." One agent notes BvS likely won't get to $1 billion despite launching the universe with "two of the most iconic characters in history." Pointing out that Jurassic World pulled in $1.67 billion globally, he continues, "you can't tell me Batman v. Superman is so much less valuable."

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in. Now, with DC movies dated through 2020, the outcome has led to a flurry of rumors that the studio will make adjustments — maybe add a new producer? — rather than allow BvS director Zack Snyder to proceed with the two-part Justice League. But sources with firsthand knowledge of the situation say the studio has no such plans. One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

For those wondering what kind of effect this poor BO performance will have:

Warner Bros. Mulls Releasing Fewer Films as 'Batman v. Superman' Stalls

CEO Kevin  Tsujihara is said to want to reduce releases and focus on his trio of potential hitmaker silos (sound familiar?)

After an abysmal run of expensive underperformers including Jupiter Ascending, Pan and In the Heart of the Sea, the studio launched its effort at a Marvel-style film universe with the DC Comics movie that had been touted as proof the regime installed in 2013 and headed by chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara was getting on track. But a dizzying 69 percent plunge that followed its March-record $166.1 million domestic opening ($422.5 million worldwide) means Batman is not a clear win.

Some competitors say the film may turn a profit but hardly will be the money gusher studios hope for when they pour massive resources into making a giant tentpole with a big star — with a budget in this case said to be in excess of $300 million, and Ben Affleck. "The biggest problem," says the head of a rival studio, "is that it is not turning [DC] into Marvel. The audience has communicated, as have the critics." One agent notes BvS likely won't get to $1 billion despite launching the universe with "two of the most iconic characters in history." Pointing out that Jurassic World pulled in $1.67 billion globally, he continues, "you can't tell me Batman v. Superman is so much less valuable."

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in. Now, with DC movies dated through 2020, the outcome has led to a flurry of rumors that the studio will make adjustments — maybe add a new producer? — rather than allow BvS director Zack Snyder to proceed with the two-part Justice League. But sources with firsthand knowledge of the situation say the studio has no such plans. One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

Hmmm...

I think we may see a similar situation turn out. I can see movies being delayed or shuffled but not canceled...least of all JL1. I can't see ANY good coming from delayed or canceling JL1 just a week out from commencement of filming. At least from a perception/PR standpoint.

That said, WB can still save face but shuffling or changing the current schedule. IMO, they should bump up a solo Batman film and have it deal with BVS aftermath to some degree and maybe also hurry up Green Lantern Corps while also fast tracking Shazam since The Rock had so much mojo right now with the GA.

given the reception, I think a reshuffling of releases would be smart, but THOSE movies HAVE to be good for it to work. They don't have to make major bank, but they need to have good reviews and WOM.

You're 100% correct they really can't afford to be bad. Not even one at this point. They need to get Marvel-esque solo critical reception and box office returns without trying to be Marvel.

This just shows that WB have no clue what theyre doing. This is clear proof of this. As to why in HELL any exec at warners could think that BvS "had the goods" clearly shows just how out of touch they are with.. Well.. Everyone.

They have golden talent working for them in the form of Dini and Timm. I'm not saying these guys should be directing but have them in producer roles or Kevin Feige type roles. WB clearly have no idea of what they are doing with these beloved characters. The response is quite clear from both the majority of critics and audiences

Last edited:
This just shows that WB have no clue what theyre doing. This is clear proof of this. As to why in HELL no exec at warners could think that BvS "had the goods" clearly shows just how out of touch they are with.. Well.. Everyone.

They have golden talent working for them in the form of Dini and Timm. I'm not saying these guys should be directing but have them in producer roles or Kevin Feige type roles. WB clearly have no idea of what they are doing with these beloved characters. The response is quite clear from both the majority of critics and audiences

I think that would certainly help. It's good to have directors and writers who are at least somewhat familiar with the characters but even better when you have someone or someones* who have an on-going and deep understanding of the chapters and many - not just one - story or story arcs.

WB should just give Bruce Timm whatever he wants and get him on board as a producer.

Arya and lukebrodyg, do you think they should be hired to write as well? I think it would be an interesting idea and I'd love to see them take ancrack at it!!

Box Office thread, guys. Gotta be talking about something related to the box office. Mods are getting fed up.

"The biggest problem," says the head of a rival studio, "is that it is not turning [DC] into Marvel.

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in.

These two statements are why the DCU can't get off the ground. The MCU didn't just happen, Fiege planned and built it brick by brick, DC really thought they could catch up by throwing together a signle patchwork movie?

And the fact that the execs thought that this movie was actually good tells you all you need to know about the ability of the people in charge. Good luck DCU, you sure as F are gonna need it.

Arya and lukebrodyg, do you think they should be hired to write as well? I think it would be an interesting idea and I'd love to see them take ancrack at it!!

Certainly it would be worth it.

I thin the important thing is that they of someone else make sure that the GA can enjoy the film without comics knowledge. Not that you can't pepper things in but somethings were too far out for people in BVS. I loved the desert sequence but I knew what I was looking at. One of my friends looked at me and said "is this the same movie?" in that scene.

EDIT: With respect to this thread title, what I suggested above would most likely translate into better box office returns if it generated a stronger WOM and reception.

It's interesting to bring up Jurassic Worlds box office and compare it to this. There's no way anyone could sensibly make the argument that JP is the bigger, more valuable IP than either Batman or Superman, never mind them together, yet BvS' box office will be around half of what JW made. That's truly shameful.

Predictions for yesterdays box office as well as todays?

It went DOWN on Tuesday? These films never go down on their second Tuesday.

Nah, looks like the $3.9 million was the right number. Dollar-wise that would be about the same boost that Deadpool got on its second Tuesday, and a somewhat larger jump %-wise since BvS Monday was smaller than Deadpool's Monday. May be a sign that the drops are finally moderating. Or it could just mean that people are only willing to see it if they can see it cheap (which would be consistent with the fact my Sunday half-price matinee showing was pretty well-attended, but that's purely anecdotal).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"