Batsuit Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight' started by Wams, Apr 12, 2006.

?

Do you like the idea of a new Batsuit in TDK?

1. Yes, I like the idea of a change to a greyish, lighter & more streamlined suit.

2. No, I would rather Batman stay in the black, body armour type suit from BB.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Socko Registered

Exactly, I have no problem with them as long as they don't make you stop during the middle of the movie and think "wait, wait, that isn't right."

2. Crook Registered

Yes.

P.S. I personally loved the line. Kinda makes you wonder what the hell it means. Still does actually, lol.

3. Sandouras Registered

thats why i didnt like it. Because its crazy. Not joker -playfull, joking, rhyming- crazy. But serious crazy. Like how serious he was as napier. And actually, the joker shouldnt have a catchphrase. He should be making stuff up all the time.

4. SheldonLevene The Machine

Although we haven't seen TDK many would argue that Heath's Joker has a tagline.

5. SheldonLevene The Machine

Catchphrase rather.

6. Mr. Socko Registered

Why So Serioussssssssss?

[​IMG]

7. BatSpider Not an S

Why So Many Extra S's? :oldrazz:

8. Sandouras Registered

lets see how much its used in the film. Maybe its only used once. But then again its something the joker would say. Its not funny, but its what he always asks, particularly of batsy.

"Have you ever danced with my granny under pale moonlight" only brings to mind that werewolf movie that jack made. And it makes no sense whatsoever. He might as well say Pacino's "Hooha".

9. Saint Registered

The identity revelation in Begins annoyed me because it seemed like an afterthought--Bruce says "Oh, I'm Batman," and then they talk about it for a minute at the end. It was used as a vehicle expose Batman as the dominant personality in Bruce's mind, but that had already been done, and could have been solidified in a better way. Rachel discovering his identity was mostly pointless.

In Batman Returns, the relationship was not only far more interesting, by the revelation of their identities was much better, with more honest and interesting reactions.

Selena was a kindred spirit, as much damaged goods as Bruce himself, and they were both aware of this long before they knew each other's identities. They fit together nicely. The line-repeating wasn't what made their discovery work, but rather the reactions they had when they figured it out. Selena's "Do we have to start fighting" line sounds a little childish, but it's an honest reaction. Bruce's suggestion of moving outside to talk about this rang true, too. More importantly, though, was when they met again in the sewers. Batman Returns is about the price of vengeance, and Bruce is appealing to Selena to leave vengeance behind, because it's something he's struggled with, himself. The difference, of course, is that Bruce wants to dig himself out of that hole, and Selena doesn't.

In Begins, what reaction did Bruce and Rachel have? Bruce just says "Oh, I'm Batman" and jumps off a roof. Then, later, they have a little talk, and even though they're dealing with some major issues, neither seems very affected. Also, the conversation was backwards: Bruce should have been the one telling Rachel they couldn't have a relationship. In the film, Bruce's admittance of being Batman feels almost as if he's trying to impress her because her low opinion of him hurt his feelings. The real reason should have been that Bruce wanted to show her why they couldn't be together, a moment of honesty to respect the relationship they used to have. It should have been a moment where he decided she deserved more than lies, and an honest explanation of why there was no future for them, rather than a moment where he tried to prove his own worth.

Both B89 and BB deal with this idea of Bruce discovering that he can't have relationships with normal women while being Batman. I think B89 handled in a much more natural, truthful way, where as in Begins it seemed kind of forced. Even though in B89 they tried to make it work, the obvious implication when they spoke in the cave (before Bruce suits up) is that it's not going to work, and they're fooling themselves by trying.

Begins is the superior film, but Returns had easily the best relationship dynamic of any Batman film (except maybe Phantasm), and I'd say B89's relationship dynamic was better than BB's, too.

I would have loved to see Burton's "Batman Forever." Everything is so miserable at the end of Returns; Bruce's life as Batman has brought him to the absolute rock bottom. He's seen the what an obsession with vengeance did to Selena--and more importantly, the Penguin--and I expect a Burton-driven third film would have dealt with Bruce dealing with that obsessions in himself; leaving behind the killing and darker motivations we see in B89/BR. Schumacher's BF touched on this somewhat (With Bruce trying to teach Dick the consequences of murder), but it was marginalized and ruined by Bruce killing Dent at the end of the film (and also ruined by the sheer craptitude of the film).

10. Reflectionist Registered

I don't know, i think I'd prefer it if he just skatted randomly. I could see him doing it. "Hello BATman.... I'm..... I'm.....--- 'I'm a Skat Man!' *cue music*"

11. Mr. Socko Registered

But your original retort finished with: "And actually, the joker shouldnt have a catchphrase."

But hey, at least the "granny moonlight" 'catchphrase' was not on the official website, stated in the trailer, and plastered all over the posters:wow:

12. gwynplaine L'homme qui rit.

Maybe becausssse he isss Judge Death:woot: .

13. SheldonLevene The Machine

Before it's said by someone else. B89 didn't have an official website Socko....DUH!!!:funny:

14. Mr. Socko Registered

[​IMG]

15. Sandouras Registered

Saint, Rachel spills it all out to the joker in TDK but somehow bruce keeps his identity secret in the end. Probably got to do something with the batmen imposters.

So i guess it is important she found out. Most people wanted that to happen anyway. Maybe Batman is to realise that the path he chose is one of loneliness

16. Mr. Socko Registered

I thought the love interests were handled excellently in BR and BF. The others I didn't particularly care for. I thought Vale, like Rachel, came off as a rather boring character. She was okay but didn't have the wit or charm of her red headed comic book counterpart. But I'd put Vale above Rachel simply because Kim is a better actress than Katie and her character wasn't so 'in your face.'

17. Sandouras Registered

Judging by the pattern a third movie about batman by burton would explore burton's character even more! there would be dwarfs and chocolate factorys and when inserting the theatre they would be giving you 3-d glasses and crack!

Obviously burton's romances were better because they were the story. In begins rachel only acts as some sort of wise friend helping bruce with advice to find his way. The story isnt about the romance, but about bruce becoming batman and not a killer. Also, it almost seems like out of the blue that she suddenly goes romantic at the end. True bruce should have been the one to tell her, but he still doesnt know the consequences of his path. That he might hurt her, or become a d1ck/scarred/psycho fighting crime, or that he might get killed.

And i dont think that he wanted to rub it in her face, rather to tell his friend what he is doing, like he tried to do in the hotel, but couldnt in front of all those people.

18. Sandouras Registered

why is that bad?
    If i was making a film about the joker i would put something like that on the posters. Like in a movie about superman fighting bizzaro i would put "bizarro likes superman" on the poster.

19. gwynplaine L'homme qui rit.

Batzarro, world's worst detective FTW !

20. Mr. Socko Registered

Indeed, Burton's Batman 3 would have been an acid trip soaring to the netherworld. But as much as I'd have enjoyed that acid, I'm glad I got Batman Forever, I really liked it. It's what followed that ruined the row-boats. Fortunately Nolan reconstructed and we're back to wizzing through the river while the fires a-glowing.

I never said it was bad, hint my very next post following which can be applied to all of the first aforementioned.

21. bunk superhero fan

The facial expression is incredibly amusing to me. I can't not laugh when I look at it. :funny:

22. Sandouras Registered

Teehee + Lol = Teol:lmao:

23. lixdexia Registered

DAS TEOL FOR LIFE!!!!!!!:cmad:

24. Conebone69 The Legend Ends

I think he'll use it more then once in the film because basically the tagline of the movie already is "why so serious" and its on two posters, plus joker said it in the trailer. So I don think they would make that big of a deal about it if he only said it once. It'll probably be his catchphrase, similar to alfred's "Nevah!"

25. Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

Even if I found the "It's not who I am" line forced/bad/whatever at that point, the sheer fact that he utters it and jumps off to save Gotham would make up in pure bad-assery (like the moment where Bruce tells Vicki he'd like to try a relationship with her in B89 and the we get that FANTASTIC suiting up moment. Still gives me shivers).
    Of course, I like its purpose AND the bad-assery, so I got the whole package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.