Black Panther The Official News and Speculation Thread - - Part 11

uh...okay.

But cynicism aside, it's still not a Best Picture-worthy movie. Was it culturally significant? Hell yeah, no doubt about it. But that shouldn't be conflated with being one of the best movies of the year.

That's just your opinion which obviously by the amount of crying going on many people share. However, on the flip side many people DO believe it's Oscar worthy for reasons they've satisfied themselves with. It's got the nomination, doesn't mean it will win but its got the nomination regardless so I guess the whinging of those crying about it really doesn't matter.

serious question has a film ever been nominated for best picture but got zero noms for acting,screenplay,film editing,and director

i like bp but it does seem weird to be viewed as one of the 8 best films of the year by the academy yet not deemed worthy enough for those noms

serious question has a film ever been nominated for best picture but got zero noms for acting,screenplay,film editing,and director

i like bp but it does seem weird to be viewed as one of the 8 best films of the year by the academy yet not deemed worthy enough for those noms

According to a couple of articles I read, this has happened before. For one thing, the lack of a Best Director nod is shared by six of the eight Best Picture nominees. Only Spike Lee and Alfonso Cuaron were nominated, with the rest of the BP directors snubbed, as they say. That seems odd but it's definitely not unprecedented.

In terms of acting nominations, I seem to recall that two of the three LOTR films received no acting noms at all, while Fellowship received one, Ian McKellan for Best Supporting Actor. The studio made a serious push for acting nominations across the board but the Academy was having none of it for some reason. Avatar also failed to secure any acting nominations out of the nine it received. One has to wonder whether the performers in genre films aren't sometimes overlooked by Academy voters out of bias against the material.

It’s definitely one of the best reviewed of the year by critics for sure. It wouldn’t be that difficult to make a case against any of the nominations — this is something subjective not scientific. It’s totally swayed by personal bias for and against. It’s called human arts.

People mad at BP getting a best picture nom

giphy.gif
I get what that’s about but isn’t that a bit sexist, though.

People on the internet are already losing their minds over this:

“TDK didn’t get a nom but this did!?!?”

“What’s so special about it!?!?”

“It’s because they’re black!”

Yeah, remind me to never go online during these days.

Ok, I loved the movie, but let's not kid ourselves and act like it's not the only reason it got the nom. To say it's well deserved is just wrong. It's just as "well deserved" as Moonlight winning 2 years ago. It's not like it's the first stupid thing for Oscars to do (as you can see, BR got nominated as well). It's not it's the sign of Oscars finally starting to take cbms seriously, it's more like their attempt to avoid the backlash and shut people up. People will whine when it loses (and most likely, it will), could you imagine the amount of hate they would've got if they didn't give it a nomination?

Once again, I loved Black Panther. I do have some issues with it, such as Boseman's performance, bad CGI and action, but it's in my top-5 MCU and overall it's a very good strong film. But Best Picture worthy? Lol no. Comic book films are still not taken seriously as was made evident by the last year's Logan, a movie that didn't deserve a BP nom too but sure as hell it did deserve a nomination for Jackman's and Stewart's performances. And somehow, it didn't get it.

The reason I'm typing this is not because I'm "raging" because it got nominated. I'm happy it did, if anything. My problem is some people acting like those who don't agree with the nomination being deserved are some racists and not because they don't think the movie is just not THAT good and only being nominated cause of it cultural impact (which it is).But if you choose to believe that nom is well deserved and not because of the racial factor - it's your choice. You probably think it's the highest rated cbm of all time not because of that reason as well.

Super happy to see Black Panther nominated for Best Picture and snatching 6 more nominations. I get that the best picture nomination is mostly here to acknowledge its cultural significance (btw I think is absolutely fair to nominate a movie on this ground) and I for one think it’s the right message to send as it celebrates both the need for more diverse representation in entertainment and the great strides made by the genre in the last ten years. So yeah, super happy despite the legions of people who apparently still lose sleep over award nominations.

Now here’s hoping it wins best costume design and production design to tie everything up with a bow.

Last edited:
I want to say that I am very disappointed by all of you for the comments and reactions to Black Panther getting a Best Picture nom. It’s the first CBM to get that distinction. It legitimizes a genre we all love when everyone looks down on it. And was there excitement? No. Just arguing, hate, dismiss, ignoring, and worst of all, racism. It was the majority of the comments, “it got a nom because of politics!”, “SJW propaganda!”, “The Dark Knight should’ve been the first!”, etc. It was very disheartening to read such comments on a site I’ve loved for the past 8 years. We were supposed to be all in this together, celebrating, not only a CBM being worthy for the biggest prize in film history but also a film made for an oppressed minority that desperately needed light for their dark world. We were all absolutely terrible yesterday. It broke my heart and drained my soul. Shame on you.

I don't see the same antipathetic energy people have towards BP on Bohemian Rhapsody even with the new allegations on Bryan Singer at the moment.

Ok, I loved the movie, but let's not kid ourselves and act like it's not the only reason it got the nom. To say it's well deserved is just wrong. It's just as "well deserved" as Moonlight winning 2 years ago. It's not like it's the first stupid thing for Oscars to do (as you can see, BR got nominated as well). It's not it's the sign of Oscars finally starting to take cbms seriously, it's more like their attempt to avoid the backlash and shut people up. People will whine when it loses (and most likely, it will), could you imagine the amount of hate they would've got if they didn't give it a nomination?

Once again, I loved Black Panther. I do have some issues with it, such as Boseman's performance, bad CGI and action, but it's in my top-5 MCU and overall it's a very good strong film. But Best Picture worthy? Lol no. Comic book films are still not taken seriously as was made evident by the last year's Logan, a movie that didn't deserve a BP nom too but sure as hell it did deserve a nomination for Jackman's and Stewart's performances. And somehow, it didn't get it.

The reason I'm typing this is not because I'm "raging" because it got nominated. I'm happy it did, if anything. My problem is some people acting like those who don't agree with the nomination being deserved are some racists and not because they don't think the movie is just not THAT good and only being nominated cause of it cultural impact (which it is).But if you choose to believe that nom is well deserved and not because of the racial factor - it's your choice. You probably think it's the highest rated cbm of all time not because of that reason as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This isn't The People's Choice Awards. I've longed raise eyebrows over movies that won Best Picture, Best Costumes, Best Screenplay, Best Actors, etc. You should take your complaint up to the Academy which are comprised of people of various talents in the various field of the industry.

Or if you know people who are a part of the Academy... give them an earful.

The Academy simply could have nominated The Dark Knight a decade ago. They missed out.

For me; it's without a doubt the best superhero/comic book film of all time. Probably 1 of the top 20 best films of last decade.

Black Panther is among the best superhero films. Next to TDK; i'd say its a weaker film, but still pretty damn good. i'd rank it among the top 12/15 films of the year.

Still happy to see it nominated. Folks can critique it and mock its nomination; though too many seem to have a personal motive (usually racist) to do this.

It is definitely an also run in best picture. Lady Gaga will win best song to bag another one for her eventual EGOT. Luckily A Star is Born isn’t in original score so it might have a chance and the rest is anyone’s guess.

Could get 2-3 design, costume and possibly score.
She won a Golden Globe, not an Emmy. (at least not for American Horror Story season 5).

I really dislike the "cultural significance" angle people are running with. It undercuts just how good a film it was. The truth is that a lot of non comic book film fans saw it as a Ryan Coogler film and not just another Marvel film.

My only hope is that it hopefully lets them get even further away from the comicbook "style" with the sequel.

I hope Coogler gets more pull for the sequel.

I don't think the CGI is bad. Just not up to standard or great in the 3rd act.

Unfortunately that cost Coogler a best director nod and maybe a best picture win.

As of now the "nod is the win"

Has there been any word of a rerelease of Black Panther to coincide with the Oscars? I'm asking because showtimes for the weekend of February 16th here in Maryland just popped up on Google. Most Best Picture nominees either expand their theater counts or rerelease after nominations are announced, so this isn't unusual. Perhaps Disney will make an official announcement of it soon.

Right now there don't seem to be any showtimes near me, but I expect that will change. The film was so popular here that it sold out for weeks. Plenty of people would love to see it again in theaters.

Has there been any word of a rerelease of Black Panther to coincide with the Oscars? I'm asking because showtimes for the weekend of February 16th here in Maryland just popped up on Google. Most Best Picture nominees either expand their theater counts or rerelease after nominations are announced, so this isn't unusual. Perhaps Disney will make an official announcement of it soon.

Right now there don't seem to be any showtimes near me, but I expect that will change. The film was so popular here that it sold out for weeks. Plenty of people would love to see it again in theaters.
Regal and AMC do their Best Picture Showcases every year, so I'm sure that will include Black Panther. Though sadly not Roma.

Regal and AMC do their Best Picture Showcases every year, so I'm sure that will include Black Panther. Though sadly not Roma.

Ah, that explains it. Regal and United Artists are the theaters listed now. They don't have many (any?) locations in the Baltimore Metro area, but AMC does. They will probably come up on Fandango soon so we can buy tickets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"