Bought/Thought 11/07/07

laugh.gif

I like how you just gave him starkly incorrect continuity when you're griping about him griping without knowing continuity. It's really ironic. It's as if you're drunk like an alcoholic or something.

Jim Rhodes was iron man in Secret Wars.

Oh don't you look silly now.

On the plus though nice punnery.

Dread, I love your reviews to pieces, but I implore you...use paragraphs ;)

No, my shop FINALLY got issue 2 after Diamond shorted them weeks ago. Sorry, my bad.

I wish they'd kind of clarified that in the issue. The Gathering mini was pretty self-contained and required no real knowledge outside of Beast Wars, so it kind of disturbs me to see Furman catering so much to fans with an intimate knowledge of the Japanese cartoons. Hopefully this will be rectified next issue.

I'd really love a mini series bridging the gap between G1 and Beast Wars. Dreamwave never would've done it, because they tried making their continuity the one to sync with Beast Wars, but with IDW, that's clearly not the intention, so I think it'd be a good idea.
Given the amount of G1 characters Furman seems to be injecting into BW now, I imagine a G1-to-BW series would basically be about the G1 characters getting new, smaller bodies and not much else. Apparently everyone and their mother from the G1 era is still alive, or at least that's how it feels to me. Ravage and Starscream should've been it. Even Grimlock's presence annoys me, but I hear Furman has a huge fanboy crush on him, so he includes him everywhere he can.

And yeah, the introduction of a bunch of Japanese characters into the Beast Wars comics is a bit offputting. I, for one, find myself desperately hoping that Lio Convoy doesn't suddenly take over for Razorbeast as leader of the Maximals simply because he looks like Optimus Prime. Optimus Primal is the Prime of the BW era; everyone else ought to be just some other dude.

Iron Man #23 - Gorgeous art.The Knaufs are doing a hell of a job on this book.I love all the politics and grown up talk in here.The unraveling of Tony has been building up for a while and you can't help but sympathize for the guy under the Knaufs direction.Doc Samson once again makes a well written appearance,speaking to Tony as a friend as well as a shrink.I look forward to the rest of their run,a la Bru's Cap,this is how you do a long term story arc properly.More people should be reading this.Oh yea,and with Tony unable to access his Extremis and any other tech all over the world,it looks like he's resorting to the old school armor.Can't wait. 10/10

Iron Fist #10 - After reading this and the last 2 issues straight of this Capital City arc,I think it's pretty clear that Steranko is a HUGE influence on David Aja.Has he ever mentioned it?Darth would know.But anyways,the layout and dividing up of his panels with separate coloring and all that is just a beauty to look at.Wished the Dog Brother fight was at least a page longer,hopefully the Battle Royale has special move names running all the way down the sides of each page. 8.5/10

JSA #10 - Good setup issue.Dave's art continues to impress,his Earth 22 Supes is really well drawn.I think it's obvious what the GO stands for and who the "God" at the end is,but it should be interesting seeing how this all plays out.Should be interesting if KC Supes becomes a regular member.
8/10

The Order #4
- Maggie and Becs are my fav of the characters introduced so far.I wonder if this MAN from SHADOW thing will spill into any other books,seems like a big deal.Each issue so far has been pure mayhem.There's so much packed into each issue,origin stories,press conferences and board meetings,epic action scenes,etc. 8/10

Green Arrow:The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell - yet to read

Iron Man #23 - Gorgeous art.The Knaufs are doing a hell of a job on this book.I love all the politics and grown up talk in here.The unraveling of Tony has been building up for a while and you can't help but sympathize for the guy under the Knaufs direction.Doc Samson once again makes a well written appearance,speaking to Tony as a friend as well as a shrink.I look forward to the rest of their run,a la Bru's Cap,this is how you do a long term story arc properly.More people should be reading this. 10/10

I plan on reading the whole run from start to current in the near future. From what I have read, it's a good, solid political thriller.

I plan on reading the whole run from start to current in the near future. From what I have read, it's a good, solid political thriller.

I wouldn't recommend the Execute Program arc the Knaufs did pre-CW.Lots of inconsistencies like Fury still being there and the NA already formed with him around.Start with the Director of SHIELD arc (#15 onwards).I skipped the Planet Hulk issues as well.

You skipped Butch Guice drawn issues? For shame. :o

I think I may have ... enjoyed Illuminati. :/

I quite like the idea of Secret Invasion, I think it is a really nice idea that actually has scope.

However, what I don't like is that it will just end up as Marvel's retcon punch. With stupid notions like Jarvis being a Skrull since Onslaught or the last time Hawkeye was actually himself was when he was Goliath. Taking out massive chunks of stories and continuity in favor of shock moments. Which is bad, bad form.

Countdown was saved by Piper and Trickster - everything else could probably have been done in a couple of pages.

Search for Ray Plamer was stupid. They stopped Dick from killing Bat-Man, and then said, oh wait we shouldn't interfere and left Dick to be "killed".

MODOK'S 11 was really good. I loved the twist at the end so much - "Screw Monica". Also really want to know what is up with Living Laser now.

That's all I've read so far.

I enjoy writing tiny reviews. :D

Given the amount of G1 characters Furman seems to be injecting into BW now, I imagine a G1-to-BW series would basically be about the G1 characters getting new, smaller bodies and not much else. Apparently everyone and their mother from the G1 era is still alive, or at least that's how it feels to me. Ravage and Starscream should've been it. Even Grimlock's presence annoys me, but I hear Furman has a huge fanboy crush on him, so he includes him everywhere he can.

And yeah, the introduction of a bunch of Japanese characters into the Beast Wars comics is a bit offputting. I, for one, find myself desperately hoping that Lio Convoy doesn't suddenly take over for Razorbeast as leader of the Maximals simply because he looks like Optimus Prime. Optimus Primal is the Prime of the BW era; everyone else ought to be just some other dude.

So far, we're at 4, right? Unicron, Ravage, Starscream and Grimlock. All 4 either had a toy, or appeared in the show, so that's no problem for me. These are a race of robots, eventually we gotta find out what happened to the originals.

Now, the Magnaboss council... are they supposed to be the original Silverbolt, Ironhide and Prowl? And aren't there 3 Beast Wars Silverbolts? That's kinda driving me crazy.

Iron Man #23 - Gorgeous art.The Knaufs are doing a hell of a job on this book.I love all the politics and grown up talk in here.The unraveling of Tony has been building up for a while and you can't help but sympathize for the guy under the Knaufs direction.Doc Samson once again makes a well written appearance,speaking to Tony as a friend as well as a shrink.I look forward to the rest of their run,a la Bru's Cap,this is how you do a long term story arc properly.More people should be reading this.Oh yea,and with Tony unable to access his Extremis and any other tech all over the world,it looks like he's resorting to the old school armor.Can't wait. 10/10

Iron Fist #10 - After reading this and the last 2 issues straight of this Capital City arc,I think it's pretty clear that Steranko is a HUGE influence on David Aja.Has he ever mentioned it?Darth would know.But anyways,the layout and dividing up of his panels with separate coloring and all that is just a beauty to look at.Wished the Dog Brother fight was at least a page longer,hopefully the Battle Royale has special move names running all the way down the sides of each page. 8.5/10

JSA #10 - Good setup issue.Dave's art continues to impress,his Earth 22 Supes is really well drawn.I think it's obvious what the GO stands for and who the "God" at the end is,but it should be interesting seeing how this all plays out.Should be interesting if KC Supes becomes a regular member.
8/10

The Order #4
- Maggie and Becs are my fav of the characters introduced so far.I wonder if this MAN from SHADOW thing will spill into any other books,seems like a big deal.Each issue so far has been pure mayhem.There's so much packed into each issue,origin stories,press conferences and board meetings,epic action scenes,etc. 8/10

Green Arrow:The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell - yet to read

I also picked up The Mighty Thor:Ragnarok by Oeming and DeVitto,I loved Blood Oath and Ares

:hyper:

Darth said he hated mine. Anything is better than PWN3R though. Ugh.

This is getting confusing.

I thought they were only doing numbers and capitalization changes. :confused:

They are. I had to do....things. I...I'm quite ashamed frankly. I didn't know the human body could bend that way.

I was told to say I love DOG LIPS. I do I do.

It doesn't matter. Dr. Strangelove sucks as bad as PWN3R RANGER. :o

Not Jake is right, dude. Your posts are now as bad your name. :down

Everyone knows cheesy acronyms are instantly gratifying.:(

Annihilation Conquest: Star Lord #4

The title of Star Lord is a bit incorrect really. This book really hasn't been so much about Star Lord, individually, as it has been about his crew as a whole. That said, this book has been f'n amazing.

Chances are we'll never see Star Lord as an ongoing and that's a shame because I'd certainly love to see the adventures of Peter and co. month in and month out.

Mantis and Gabe stood out this month. Mantis gets some downright hilarious bits: "Use the Force, Luke" and Gabe as Captain Universe kicked some serious Phalanx ass.

5/5

Annihilation Conquest #1

Some people are unhappy about the reveal of Ultron as the big bad, but personally I'm loving it. It makes sense, as Dread pointed out in his review, and he is honestly bad-ass enough to carry this event.

Is it as good a first issue as its predecessor Annihilation #1? No. But I don't think anything really could have been. That being said Conquest is off to a good start. In a bit of a surprise the High Evolutionary shows up, explaining why he couldn't speak to Beast in person some time ago. Star Lord doesn't show up but with Star Lord having just ended I suspect they didn't want to give away the ending for people who might read Conquest first (why someone would do that I don't know). In any case, a solid start to the main event.

5/5

Astonishing X-Men #23

Cyclops isn't dead (like its some big surprise) and at the end manages to turn the tables, apparently in control of his optic beams (in what was a big surprise). The delays have certainly hurt the momentum but all in all it was still a good read. Its not groundbreaking or anything, I certainly know the beats to this kind of story, but the execution is solid.

My only real complaint was the bit were they replaced the dialog with thought bubbles since I didn't remember what the hell they said last time, I had to go and take my comic out and read both to keep up.

In any case

4/5

Fearless #1

Picked this up on somewhat of an impulse, supported by some of the previews I had seen. The writing is sharp and the art is pretty good and it looks like we're in for what will be an intense ride.

5/5

Ms. Marvel #21

Carol fights Cru (who turns out to be a chick) and learns that there's been something of a misunderstanding. Turns out Cru was trying to save the Earth but she went after the wrong Brood ship (there were 2 vessels) and got set on the collision course with Ms. Marvel that nearly killed her all the way back in #3.

Cru drags Carol to Monster Island and they end up working together to try and get themselves fixed (Ms. Marvel can't activate her powers and Cru can't shapeshift). Defenseless, they're surrounded by an entire nest of Brood.

There's some good laughs this month, mainly for Machine Man. Wonder Man shows up and I think there's some reference to the events of Illuminati #5 (which I have not read yet). There's a showdown brewing with the Daily Bugle on the horizon to which everybody but Carol knows about. Oh and Agent Sum comes back from the dead.

4/5

Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash #1

I felt sort of bad about picking this up, but I couldn't help myself, I'm a horror fan, I admit it. Anyway, now that my shameful admission out of the way let's move on.

Will and Laurie, the heroes from Freddy vs. Jason get killed in the beginning in pretty gruesome ways. The art is solid and everybody looks like who they're supposed to, so that's a major plus for me. Some of my enjoyment of Army of Darkness vs Marvel Zombies was ruined by the use of two lesser artists near the end (to keep the book on schedule I assume).

Ash doesn't actually show up until the end but he's the narrator so his presence is heard if not seen. There's an especially funny bit where while mentioning the past, Ash refers to the "Romans and their pyramids". I lol'd.

Its Freddy who sets them all on a course for one another when he tricks Jason into searching for the Necronomicon (which I assume he wants to resurrect himself with), in what is a reference to the fact that the book showed up as a prop in Jason Goes to Hell. I wasn't expecting that but kudos to the writing team for using it to their advantage.

3/5

Annihilation Conquest: Star Lord #4

The title of Star Lord is a bit incorrect really. This book really hasn't been so much about Star Lord, individually, as it has been about his crew as a whole. That said, this book has been f'n amazing.

Chances are we'll never see Star Lord as an ongoing and that's a shame because I'd certainly love to see the adventures of Peter and co. month in and month out.

Mantis and Gabe stood out this month. Mantis gets some downright hilarious bits: "Use the Force, Luke" and Gabe as Captain Universe kicked some serious Phalanx ass.

5/5

:up:

Fearless #1

Picked this up on somewhat of an impulse, supported by some of the previews I had seen. The writing is sharp and the art is pretty good and it looks like we're in for what will be an intense ride.

5/5

You liked the art? It looked iffy from the previews I saw online. The premise sounded great, but the art kept me away.

Sometimes it was a little inconsistent from panel to panel (mainly with the protagonist's face, which is strange), but I didn't see anything really wrong with it.

It was certainly no Ramos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"