Box Office: A:AoU VS SW7

I think $400m/$1b is a reasonable starting point for expectations. Maybe even only $900m WW with the same $400m DOM. Below that then they'd start to get disappointed. If they want SW to get to where the MCU is at with AoU then they are just going to have to earn back people's trust and build themselves up to it. The idea that people are just going to roll over and give them a status as if the prequels never happened without some trust building is ludicrous.

Age of Ultron. I think at minimum it will match the Avengers. I'm unwavering in that belief. SW7 I have absolutely no feeling for so it's hard to predict. The prequels killed my interest in this series. Perhaps this film can recapture the magic that made me love the OT as a kid. I would think 400 DOM, 1.2 billion WW should be a realistic starting point based on the huge fan base across the globe.

This is a toss up but I'm inclined to say Star Wars.

How many people think Avengers 2 will break Avengers 1's box office haul?

If I were to venture a guess,I'd think Star Wars box office wise.But,I honestly have higher hopes for AOU content wise.

Avengers will win both domestic and overseas. At best I only see TDKR numbers for Star Wars which is still a lot.

I would say Avengers 2 takes it. It has much more recently established credit, whereas Star Wars is ultimately still coming off the prequels.

Now, if Force Awakened is genuinely good, this might become a toss-up when we come around to the *next* Star Wars movie.

At this point Avengers.

I'm going to be brutally honest here, and I am a huge SW fan. Those films were my childhood! But of the original cast only Harrison Ford has kept up his acting on screen (Hamill off screen) and from what happened with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a huge disappointment for many, and begs the question, "will we be disappointed by what we see?" There are way more expectations attached with SW7 than there are with Avengers AoU. We've seen all of the Avengers cast recently in their roles in different films. These are three actors who haven't played these roles in 30 years. They will be different people. On top of that we have huge unknowns with the newer members of the cast. Will we like what we see? Can they carry the torch forward, or like Hayden Christiansen will we be questioning their acting abilities.

Avengers right now is the known entity. It's contemporary, and has a huge demographic market, that Star Wars had 15-20 years ago, but not necessarily today.

I think SW7 is a billion dollar film, it's just that Avenger AoU is a 1.5 - 2.5 billion dollar film.

How many people think Avengers 2 will break Avengers 1's box office haul?

WW? Almost certainly. DOM? The odds are more against that happening than they are in favor of it I think but that's still just a 60/40 likelihood of it coming in less, IMO. If it does earn more DOM I won't be stunned out of my mind or anything like that. Just slightly surprised is all I'll be.

I think it's given that AOU will beat the original's gross. As for competing with Star Wars, it depends on the quality of Star Wars.

Very hard to predict but since SW is coming off really disappointing movies, even though they are quite distant now, and AoU comes off a recent, universally acclaimed juggernaut I'd say that AoU might have an edge.

The real money to be made off Star Wars should be Episode VIII if VII is good, because it's always good to have momentum.

in Japan, I think Star Wars 7 will beat Avengers 2...because for the record, Disney Japan now has released numerous images, teaser trailer, until official title for Star Wars Episode 7 (which the release date is still far ahead in December compared to Avengers' July release date....even they already released a poster for Cinderella) while yet hasn't release a single marketing for Avengers 2, not even the official logo ...This is why I pessimistic about Avengers 2 here (given its release date also come close with Shingeki no Kyojin live action movie this summer)...

Avengers made 1.5 Billion. Avengers: AoU will probably make a little bit more even if it isn't as good as the first one.

I know Star Wars has a huge following, but you don't go into any movie from any franchise expecting to make 1.5 Billion.

I think Age of Ultron will have the bigger opening weekend, but The Force Awakens will have a bigger worldwide gross. I do think that Star Wars is guaranteed to break the December opening weekend record.

I'd say Avengers: AOU. Usually sequels do a lot better which has been the case for every MCU movie so far, so I am expecting it to hit the 2 billion mark by the end of it's run.

I'm not expecting Avengers to make close to 2 billion, usually when films make more money the second time, it's because they are going from like 300 million to 500 million or something but to go from 1.5 billion to 2 billion would be insane. I'm not sure the market is there, only in China will the market have grown significantly.

And if the film is darker in nature, then perhaps families and children might not go for multiple viewings the same as in A1, or maybe might not go at all.

I think AoU will be 1.3-1.6billion, Star Wars is much more unpredictable, a billion at least I think but if it is really good, then it could make 1.5 billion, because it will just keep going through january and february.

Star Wars will most likely make a Billion, but unless it's able to convert people who could care less about it into SW fans, then i'm not sure it will surpass Avengers 2. SW will pretty much have to be sold to a whole new generation, the original trilogy was the biggest thing when it was coming out, but not anymore, even the Prequels had a losing battle with the 2000s new franchises like Harry Potter.

Episode 7 has a huge challenge in front of it, i think a Billion is a given, but it still has to be very impressive in order to beat Avengers, and an even bigger challenge if it wants to end up competing with Avatar, which has sequels coming out soon.

And the Avengers didn't have to convince people?

The previous best Box Office performance was IM2 with 623 million, there was millions and millions who saw A1 without seeing the previous MCU films.

The prequels lost out to the likes of Harry Potter because the prequels were terrible. If TFA is good then it will be huge. Not Avatar money, which is because people thought they were seeing a revolution in tech and you had to buy 3D tickets, which a lot of people don't do if they have the choice.

I didn't say The Avengers didn't have to convince people for one reason: It already did...this is the sequel, people already trust Marvel now, Avengers 2 has better chances right now.

I'm not saying Episode VII won't beat Avengers 2 easily if it explodes, but right now i don't think it has as many chances. I'm more excited for Episode VII myself, but right i see the general public more interested in Avengers, many times the "new things" has the advantage, i see many people around the 10-20s age that have watched the original films and don't realy care about the franchise, with Avengers you usualy have people liking in least one of the films in the MCU, it's simply the biggest film series right now, i have some problems with the MCU but i have to give credit where credit is due.

I think Star Wars even with the holiday season will dominate, if the money it will continue make in early 2016 counts.

The poll should be.. Disney or Everyone else... Whatever the opening weekend numbers are Disney wins. But to answer the post. I'm hoping Avengers takes it but there's too many Star Wars Nerds everywhere to they might get out of their basement to go watch it.

Close. but I think AoU gets it. But Disney is all

giphy.gif

skrilla3.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"