Breaking Bad - - Part 15

I like how Aaron Paul looks exactly the same as when this was on the air, but that beard makes Cranston look like about 25 years have passed.

Breaking Bad' Was 'Rigged,' Skyler Hate 'Troubled' Vince Gilligan - Variety

After a certain number of years, the spell wears off. Like, wait a minute, why was this guy so great? He was really sanctimonious, and he was really full of himself. He had an ego the size of California. And he always saw himself as a victim. He was constantly griping about how the world shortchanged him, how his brilliance was never given its due. When you take all of that into consideration, you wind up saying, “Why was I rooting for this guy?”

Back when the show first aired, Skyler was roundly disliked. I think that always troubled Anna Gunn [who played Skyler]. And I can tell you it always troubled me, because Skyler, the character, did nothing to deserve that. And Anna certainly did nothing to deserve that. She played the part beautifully. I realize in hindsight that the show was rigged, in the sense that the storytelling was solely through Walt’s eyes, even in scenes he wasn’t present for. Even Gus, his archenemy, didn’t suffer the animosity Skyler received. It’s a weird thing. I’m still thinking about it all these years later.

I mean… it’s true, but I think Gilligan owns a little bit of that response to Walt. The subtext of the finale was pretty much “Yeah, his choices wrecked his life and the lives of those near to him, but look at all the cool **** he can still manage to do on his way out the door.”

If Vince wanted to curb some of the “Based Heisenberg” **** online, an unequivocally unhappy ending for Walt was in order.

Rewatching the show for the first time since the finale, and knowing how it ends, Walt's ego is really the true thing that drives him and is his worst enemy. Every pivotal decision he makes in this show and how it effects those around him is driven by his ego.

In the finale when he says he did it for himself, it's true. Watching it for the first time, you're on his side because the key was this show started with a great empathy for Walt because of his life and cancer. But really, the guy was a prick from the get go and the cancer woke him up. It's like watching a different show and it's the thing that made this show so genius.

The cancer now almost feels like a trick to get us to feel like we're supposed to be on his side...for a while, at least. When I watch it now, knowing how it all goes, I find him impossible to root for at any moment. I see only an ego-driven villain, through and through. It's kind of amazing how dramatically my perception of his behavior in every scene has changed. I once saw this as a "villain origin story" -- the story of a how a generally good man became a villain, but as @DarthSkywalker has put it, it's really a story about a villain whose true colors are slowly unveiled. Like the cancer was just the catalyst to make him stop pretending to be a good guy.

I saw it after the series had ended but it has been a few years too since I saw it and I remember Walt starting off okay as a person but then he so rapidly descends into villiany. Like, he wasted almost no time in becoming the antihero then just vllianous. He went so far beyond just providing a future for his family, like that would excuse everything he did. That much was obvious well before the finale where he admits it.

As to Skylar, Anna Gunn definitely played her too well. Her personality and actions were at times annoying but she definitely did not deserve the hate. I never saw a reason to hate the character. She was a flawed person but she wasn't "ruining" anything, except apparently to the guys who thought Walt was a good guy.

Doing it for his family was always an excuse for him. He had the opportunity to stop in season 2 when he went into remission, but chose not to. If Walt wasn't the monster he always was, the show would have stopped there.

Even Gretchen and Elliot didn't seem to "steal" from him. In Walt's mind they did. They were decent people.

I always found Walt’s motivations a bit more nuanced than just “I’m doing it for the family”/“I did it for me.”

I mean, yes, he did go about things in the most selfish/destructive way possible, but he also wasn’t just cooking as a hobby. He wanted to leave them that money when he was gone. I would even argue that Jack and his guys taking the vast majority of that fortune, more than anything (even more than killing Hank), is what dug their own graves.

Well that’s what the blue stuff will do to you.

I saw the picture before reading the tweet and, God’s honest truth, I had the exact same thought.

You replace Gus with Chuck and it becomes a much scarier show. I don't think I can imagine anything more horrifying than Charles Entertainment Cheese carving up someone's throat with a box cutter.

You replace Gus with Chuck and it becomes a much scarier show. I don't think I can imagine anything more horrifying than Charles Entertainment Cheese carving up someone's throat with a box cutter.
I hate that you just had me Googling whether this mouse's middle name really was "Entertainment" this whole time. And that it actually was.

But you have to admit, a wheelchair-bound former capo having a blood feud with a guy whose entire business is ball pits and ****ty pizza… that would be extremely funny.

But you have to admit, a wheelchair-bound former capo having a blood feud with a guy whose entire business is ball pits and ****ty pizza… that would be extremely funny.
I mean, it's not like I WANT them to go back and reshoot every scene with Giancarlo Esposito in a Chuck E. Cheese costume...but I wouldn't say no to it.

Omg…

Chucky vs. Heisenberg would be a good time.

I just randomly remembered the “Look at me, Hector” meme with Obama and Stephen Hawking and I cackled.

Maybe next we'll see the cast of The Wire in a Snickers commercial.

I like how for Better Call Saul they were "this is the last time we're ever gonna play this characters".

And now is like "Oh Pop Corners? Sure, here's Jesse and Walter again".

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"