Days of Future Past Caleb Landry Jones cast as Banshee

His father is german and his mother is irish. He was born in Germany and raised in Ireland if you look at any of his interviews his natural accent is Irish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLso9PeSt1E

He does English accents really well too as he has lived in London since he was 19

I've not followed the man's personel life as close as others and Ive never seen him in an interview. All I remember reading was the German born Actor has may be cast inthe Ridley Scott film.

His father is german and his mother is irish. He was born in Germany and raised in Ireland if you look at any of his interviews his natural accent is Irish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLso9PeSt1E

He does English accents really well too as he has lived in London since he was 19

I maybe accent deaf but in the link I don't hear an accent at all. He sounds American.

I'm American and I'm also somewhat dissappointed in the homogeneity of the accents in the X-men movieverse because one of the things I love about X-men is the diversity, but I don't think the characters were deliberately "Americanized" with the the idea being that "Oh well we have to make everyone American or else the movie won't be marketable enough, or won't make enough money, etc."

If that was the case then why did we get an English actor playing Magneto with this his own accent and an English actor playing Xavier with his own accent and now we're getting an Irish actor and a Scottish actor faking English accents to play the younger versions of these characters, when neither character is English in the comics? Xavier's even supposed to be be American, so he got "De-Americanized". Why even bother trying (trying badly but still trying) to give Storm some kind of "African" accent in the first movie or getting an actor who could do Nightcrawler's German accent in X2? Both of them could've easily been Americanized(from the beginning in Storm's case), but they weren't.

I think they just didn't care...that much about the accents. I think they just hired actors that they liked and if the actors could do the accents of the characters, then that was just a bonus to them. Maybe, I'm just speculating. I'm not saying that's good either, I wish there was more effort in choosing actors who are good and either can do the right accents or already have them.

Last edited:
Couldn't have said it better myself, PsyJ!

I guess they feel like some characters are more important than others, that only select few should have their proper heritages. I know each movie can't take 15 minutes to dive into each characters past, but why not let a character like Colossus who only has three or so spoken lines say them in a Russian accent? would it really have hurt? That's all I'm sayin'.

Some of the characters heritages are very defining to who they are, a la Nightcrawler being German. I can't fathom him showing up speaking American, or Scottish on that fact due to the casting of Alan Cumming, I'm very happy he was able to keep his German roots.

Jones' interview is up on Facebook.

In the movie, will you wear the yellow-and-green uniform from the comics?
Yellow, blue and black.

What is your relationship with Moira in the film?
Strictly platonic.

In the comics Banshee is roughly the same age as Professor X - because there isn't much reference to a younger Banshee in the comics did you have more freedom to portray the character?
Not really. Only his motives should be less developed. Not yet the man he is to become.

What was the coolest part of your role in the film?
The character's appetite for a good party.

I was wondering if Banshee's powers will be limited to just the sonic scream, or will he be flying as well in this movie?
He learns to use most of his powers. This entails flight.

Will we see a connection between Banshee and Siryn, who appeared in the trilogy, in this film?
Not in the script but then again I haven't seen the completed film yet.

How did your audition for this role go?
I felt it went absolutely terrible.

Did you do your own stunts?
Most of them.

While filming or reading the script for Banshee did you ever feel a sort of connection with your own life or feelings?

Only that he has trouble fitting in.

What do you think makes Banshee such a cool character?
His naively destructive personality sprinkled with wit.

Well, least we can assume he won't be killed off early, not this early at least. I'm just hoping this kid can impress me as the character. Will have to see him in action before I cast a judgment. While I'm not happy he'll be American, at least I'm willing to give it a chance.

Why would he be killed off? Just because they are not in X1, X2 and X3, doesn't mean they're dead.

I hope they show us promo pics of Banshee soon!

Last edited:
Because Banshee as a character has had a very limited run in the comics. There's only so much of him before he goes smack into that plane pretty quickly and that's really the last you see of him. ..Cept for the part where he's seen gambling for his life. I doubt these films would take that kind of turn for now, but as Vaughn is pretty profound on being faithful to the characters in the comics he adapts, if he continues to stay in the x-men series, he'll probably eventually present Banshee's honorable sacrifice. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Banshee as much as I can, looking like that damn muppet from Dinosaurs and speaking American ... But eh, we'll see.

:huh: Very limited run? He first appeared in 1967 and has been around for decades.

Yeah I know, as he's my favorite character.. not that there's many different Irish characters to choose from xD Point being, he died to protect the others, and IF the character happens to die on screen, in a future sequel, I'd hope he goes out in the same or similar fashion. Instead of like, say, Scott and Xavier just randomly going 'splody.

So if the X-Jet of XFC crashed, Banshee is most likely to be the "casualty" and he tried to save someone before his death.

I don't think Banshee dies via the X-Jet crashing. The trailer appears to show him diving into water in his uniform, after they crash on the island.

That's my whole my point, though. I'm simply stating Banshee's comic fate here, in which he does bite it. It sucks, I know. Nightcrawler died recently too, imagine how upset I was about that bit.

All I'm saying is that as the character is presented younger in this film, it's unlikely he will meet his end yet. Not THIS early on, at least. If the films continue, however, it may become a bit more possible. And, if he does so bite it, I'd prefer to see it happen faithfully. Let our Irishman die with some honor xD

well, we do see his daughter in the original movies....

granted, they have been known to ignore family connections...
(so, they may not address the fact that shes his daughter)

Yeah, at this point I hate to admit I'm sort of doubting their connection. We'll see. Hopefully Vaughn is more faithful to family connections than Singer was. Though, with whatever they're doing for Havoc and Cyke, who knows.

He looks very cool in the trailer. I'm disappointed he is not included on the poster !

Banshee doesn't die in the movies. The kids have been signed for sequels. I guess that still doesn't mean anything.

Because Banshee as a character has had a very limited run in the comics. There's only so much of him before he goes smack into that plane pretty quickly and that's really the last you see of him. ..Cept for the part where he's seen gambling for his life. I doubt these films would take that kind of turn for now, but as Vaughn is pretty profound on being faithful to the characters in the comics he adapts, if he continues to stay in the x-men series, he'll probably eventually present Banshee's honorable sacrifice. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Banshee as much as I can, looking like that damn muppet from Dinosaurs and speaking American ... But eh, we'll see.

what the bad place comics have YOU been NOT reading? :dry:

anyway, I am wondering how his scream will sound?

will it be a human scream/shriek?
will it be more like an artificially produced sound?
a blend of the two???

Last edited:
I'm American and I'm also somewhat dissappointed in the homogeneity of the accents in the X-men movieverse because one of the things I love about X-men is the diversity, but I don't think the characters were deliberately "Americanized" with the the idea being that "Oh well we have to make everyone American or else the movie won't be marketable enough, or won't make enough money, etc."

If that was the case then why did we get an English actor playing Magneto with this his own accent and an English actor playing Xavier with his own accent and now we're getting an Irish actor and a Scottish actor faking English accents to play the younger versions of these characters, when neither character is English in the comics? Xavier's even supposed to be be American, so he got "De-Americanized". Why even bother trying (trying badly but still trying) to give Storm some kind of "African" accent in the first movie or getting an actor who could do Nightcrawler's German accent in X2? Both of them could've easily been Americanized(from the beginning in Storm's case), but they weren't.

I think they just didn't care...that much about the accents. I think they just hired actors that they liked and if the actors could do the accents of the characters, then that was just a bonus to them. Maybe, I'm just speculating. I'm not saying that's good either, I wish there was more effort in choosing actors who are good and either can do the right accents or already have them.

I'm actually wondering if that's also Bryan Singer's doing given the fact there was no authenticity in the accents on Valkyrie either. Tom Cruise playing a German with an American accent was a total travesty!!!! :nono:

what the bad place comics have YOU been NOT reading? :dry:

I don't know, I guess I've just somehow missed Banshee walking around with the other X-men in everything I've currently been reading after the unfortunate event of this:

689064-banshee33.jpg
122012-1225-marc-silvestri.jpg

... Or, did you guys want me to rephrase "very limited run" to something more along the lines of "the while he lasted in Eath 616 before he bit it..?"

I think my words are just being taken all wrong. It's not like I'm jumping up and down, cheering like about the fact that one of my top three favorite characters is dead or something. I'm just saying, it happens. It's his fate. It's as inevitable as Xavier going bald and ending up in a wheel chair. And I'm glad that, in THIS film, he's so young, that he WON'T be meeting this tragic end SO EARLY ON.

O_O!

I'm actually wondering if that's also Bryan Singer's doing given the fact there was no authenticity in the accents on Valkyrie either. Tom Cruise playing a German with an American accent was a total travesty!!!! :nono:
But it was ok when Schindler's List did it? Granted they still used accents, but I don't think it's fair to act as if historical movies should be judged on the such minute terms.

That comic took place after like 40 years of Banshee being in the comics, which is not something I would consider to be a limited run. Considering he was one of the oldest X-Men when he died with a fully grown daughter I doubt he's going to die in the First Class films as a teenager if you're going to talk about bringing comic accuracy into this. If they use any explanation for why he's absent in the original trilogy I wouldn't be surprised if it was because he was hanging out with Moira, who was also absent in the original trilogy aside from a brief cameo.

Last edited:
banshee also to me looks like he has some awesome cinematic powers just in the trailer i dont think fox wants to get rid of him

But it was ok when Schindler's List did it? Granted they still used accents, but I don't think it's fair to act as if historical movies should be judged on the such minute terms.

Agreed 100%. There really is no sense for American/ British actors to pretend to be German and speak English with a German accents. I don't know why that was such a complaint that the movie wasn't "authentic". If it was really authentic they'd be speaking GERMAN not English with German accents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"