Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

If Cap Marvel was cancelled nearly all the people here that are calm about the move back would be pissed along with those who are not. We aren't really all on different sides here. Some are suspicious of Marvel which is fair enough but this is still their first female-led attempt so we'll only know how seriously they're taking this side of things nearer the time and the true motives of any moves in release dates (as well as the adding of Wasp to the Ant Man sequel title) are just speculation.

2. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

There is no reason, none at all, to think that Marvel isn't going to go through with a Captain Marvel film, or that they are dragging their feet. They announced another movie, and postponed this ones release date by a few months. It's real simple. Cut and dried. There is absolutely no reason to think the lead characters gender played any role in this. Anyone assuming as much is hastily drawing their own conclusions.

Marvel postponed the first Avengers movie by a full year. Thor 2 and Guardians had their release dates shift as well. Not to mention Batman vs Superman's change in dates. It happens all the time, people.

Someone help me, I'm choking on irony.

#927 Flint Marko, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  3. Whiskey Tango Registered

[​IMG]

4. Whiskey Tango Registered

But serious, they better not pull this stunt with She-Hulk or I will :cmad:

5. SwiftFox Registered

Would rather they take the time to get Carol right than rush it. So the more I think about it the more I'm ok with Captain Marvel being pushed back.

6. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

I'm not pleased, her movie is delayed a second time for a movie that needed to be saved for phase 4.
    Sure it might give them more time to come up with a more tweaked script, but I also dread it might lead to further disappointment.

7. flickchick85 Admin of Might

The same company that didn't put Princess Leia action figures in their stores? That is until social media and eventually the actual media made a stink over it, of course. It seems like public outcry is almost REQUIRED for any of these people to change their ways.

This is honestly the main reason I'm not worried about Marvel following through with this film. It's very clear from the current state of the comics that they have big plans for this character. Hell, Kelly Sue DeConnick even said in her interviews that she was choosing leave the title now because she was told she'd otherwise have to dig in for another 3 years to help gear up the character for the movie.

8. Moridin Death Contagious Deity

It lends a little more weight to CM being important to the IW's. Markus & McFeely would only have started to write those a month or 2 ago (after Civil War finished filming), so maybe they wanted to wait to see how those started taking shape before starting CM.

They could have easily have put Ant Man 2 in at March 2019, kept CM where she was in Nov 2018 (or even moved her up to July 2018, where Ant Man 2 is now), and not lost any brownie points.

Well, no actually. Even in the previous spot BP would have started filming before Spder-Man was released.

Into Phase II? No, there's a reason they won't be making 3 films a year until 2017, and it's not sexism or racism.

9. Parker Wayne Two Brothers... in a Van

I'm not worried about them cancelling Captain Marvel at all. Marvel wouldn't have the balls to do that. Can you imagine the backlash they'd get for doing something like that? It would be immense. They'd risk pissing off more people from doing that than anything else they've done before. So yeah, I don't think there's any chance it gets cancelled.

Like I said, I'm annoyed with Captain Marvel's and Black Panther's dates because it reeks of condescending pandering, but it's an annoyance I'll get over.

10. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

To be fair March is not a bad time to release a blockbuster, national Woman's day or not. I am side eyeing that February release for Black Panther though.

11. Parker Wayne Two Brothers... in a Van

It's not a bad time, but it feels like a such an overt pandering move, especially when you realize that Captain Marvel gets released on International Women's Day.

Like I said, it's not a dealbreaker or anything like that. It's more of a mild annoyance that I'll get over.

12. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I don't see this date so much as pandering just because International Women's Day is barely a thing. In the media, at least. I don't think much if anything will be made of it. Now Black Panther during Black History month? That's a whole other story. I'm side-eying that one hard, and not just for the pandering. There's no way that film will do as well there as it would have in July, imo. So it's like they hurt its box office chances WHILE patronizing its audience in one fell swoop.

But oh well, like you said, it's just a mild annoyance. Seems like their treatment of these two properties has just been one mild annoyance after another, lol.

#937 flickchick85, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  13. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Thankyou for explaining it exactly as I was going to. I like most am not even familiar with International Woman's Day so I just don't see it as a huge deal that CM is released on that day in March. I'm actually willing to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt that the date is just a coincidence. The Black Panther in Black History month doesn't seem like a coincidence at all.

14. Mike Murdock Registered

First off, who is "us"? Second, what won't work?

Well, of course she was a sidekick in that movie. It was called "Ant-Man." The fact that she's in the name for the next one shows a deliberate change. It's signalling "now we can give her a more leading role."

15. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

If you didn't get my post, tough cookies.

16. Mike Murdock Registered

Thank you for your helpful reply. I enjoyed our discussion.

17. Parker Wayne Two Brothers... in a Van

I just don't think either are coincidences. The fact they put moved Captain Marvel to exactly that day along with Black Panther spells that both were done on purpose. Both of them are put on months (and for Captain Marvel, a day also) that's of significance to what stands out about their identity? If Captain Marvel was just moved alone, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt on that, but both makes it pretty hard to say its not a coincidence.

It's more of a "Really?" reaction than anything else. I still look forward to both, but it's a rather perplexing decision.

18. mclay18 Registered

Maybe LaFauve and Perlman's drafts for Captain Marvel will impress Feige so much he pushes the film up, like he did with BP. Studios have constantly shifted titles around, way before Marvel Studios was founded.

At this rate, WB's Wonder Woman will be airing on FX by the time CM hits theaters. I was wondering why Disney picked March 8 (when Marvel tends to pick first weekend of the month), but after hearing about IWD... yeah, that's pandering. At first I thought it was because March had a good track record for female-led blockbusters, which made sense too.

19. Loki882 Registered

-She should have had a more starring role the first time around. That whole thing was lame as Hell.
    -She's STILL more competent/qualified that he is. So no, she SHOULDN'T be his sidekick, and HER name is in the title as well.
    -People want to hold up that and say "see, it's ok. We're still getting a woman-led film." And I (and others) are pointing out that it's NOT the same thing.

20. Loki882 Registered

No, actually I didn't. I post my opinion, and people are free to respond and have a debate or not. What I DON'T do is accuse people of having "agenda's" or "pandering" or being stupid, or some other such nonsense.

But thank you for proving my point for me. It is, as you say, magnifique.

21. Loki882 Registered

Actually it is, because you CANNOT take sequels and teamups away (especially they they've been overwhelmingly white and male as well). So we really needed three Thor, IM, and Cap films before ANY female-led films. Two, ok maybe, but three each, yeah no not buying it.

And I'm sorry, but how is ZERO female-led film in over a decade NOT one-sided. Please explain that to me, I'd love to here it.

22. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

5 months......................

23. Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

Well, I doubt that Marvel will move either Captain Marvel or Black Panther again. Could you imagine the reaction if Black Panther loses Black History Month to Hulk or Captain Marvel loses International Women's Day to Iron Man? Maybe Feige has moved these projects for those dates so they wouldn't get moved again.

I just don't want to see Captain Marvel movie advertised in the media like "On International Women's Day." It would be too much. It would be Marvel telling people this character is awesome because she's a woman. Uh, no thank you.

24. Joined:
    Dec 27, 2012
    8 months, actually.

25. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

8 months..........:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.