Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Hawkingbird, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironfan72

Ironfan72 Golden Avenger

Of all the new characters Marvel announced yesterday, Captain Marvel has me the most excited as I have been a fan of Carol Danvers/Warbird/Mrs. Marvel since she had a major story in the Iron Man heroes return story.

2. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

wow, Im a fan of hers and never knew this. I thought her material was limited to Avengers v3

3. PelvicSorcery

PelvicSorcery Registered

After thinking about it I think Emily Blunt is the best realistic choice. I think they'll want a bigger star than some of the names being thrown around since the character isn't as well known and it's their first female driven film. A lot is hinging on its success. Since Emily Blunt was almost cast as Black Widow she's probably being considered and would probably be willing if it fit her schedule.

4. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I think it would be terrible if JLaw were Carol. I don't want her playing anymore superheroes. I remember people were convinced she should be Wonder Woman, and yet all the fan art just looked awful with her in it. She looked like JLaw in a WW costume, not the actual character.

She's overly ubiquitous and had too much over exposure (in more ways than one :p). It can't be that female-led franchises can only be sold to audiences with JLaw in the part. :doh: If that's the case, maybe Marvel will only greenlight a Black Widow movie if JLaw also plays her instead of Scarlett, IN ADDITION to playing Carol. :whatever:

I far prefer Yvonne Strahovski for the role, who seems made for the part.

5. PelvicSorcery

PelvicSorcery Registered

I despise JLaw with every fiber of my being, but I doubt she'll sign on to another action franchise so quickly. Who knows how many films they'd want her to commit to?

Carol Danvers will most likely show up in one or two films before her solo film so they might be casting sooner than they suggest anyway.

6. SCC

SCC Registered

Go with an unknown like Jena Sims

7. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

some pageant chick with 3 acting credits to her name? No thank you

8. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

"Actress and philanthropist" lol

You can always tell who writes their own IMDB profile

9. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

Honestly... Emily Blunt is the best choice:
    - Tell the casting director she was almost Black Widow
    - Tell the costumers she looks good blonde
    - Tell the stunt choreographers she as great in Edge of Tomorrow
    - Tell the comedy writers she was great in Sunshine Cleaning (And the Muppets cameo)
    - Tell the drama writers she was great in Jane Austen Book Club
    - The SFX/stunt team she was great in Looper
    - Tell the marketing team she's capable of high billing in summer blockbusters
    - Show the cinematographer a picture of her
    - Tell the producers she's a Golden Globe and BAFTA winner
    - Tell Kathryn Bieglow all that, and that if Blunt can work with Tom Cruise, she can work with anybody.

#959 DrCosmic, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  10. Red Mask

Red Mask Human Killing Machine

And she looks terrible as a blonde.

11. MahvelBaby!

MahvelBaby! Registered

I want Chastain!

12. MahvelBaby!

MahvelBaby! Registered

I hope this movie doesn't Ignore Mar-Vell at all I hope he plays a part, without overshadowing her as the main character.

13. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

Really? Well, she's always blonde in these sci fi super power summer blockbuster things she's in that make hundreds of millions of dollars. Maybe it's her good luck charm?

14. SlamAdams

SlamAdams Registered

He really should be in a Obi Wan sort of role. Like somewhere between Abin Sur and Obi Wan.

15. Marvel

Marvel Registered

There ya go.

I thought Emily Blunt was terrible in Edge of Tomorrow. I just didn't buy her in any of the action sequences.

Whoever they cast, just please lose that awful new costume in the books with the mohawk mask. A variation of the old lightening bolt one would be perfect.

16. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

I think out of all the actresses listed here, I'm sure we can all agree that yvoone resembles the character in the comics the most
    [​IMG]

17. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Rosamund Pike from Gone Girl, Wrath of the Titans, Jack Reacher, The World's End and Surrogates would make a good Carol I think
    I would prefer Chastain as Medusa in the Inhumans movie. I think Chastain would be awesome as the badass queen of hair

#967 chamber-music, Oct 29, 2014
  18. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

Rosamund pike would make a great Ms Marvel IMO!

19. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

Here for Jessica Chastain and Emily Blunt. Also... I have an irrational hate-on for her, but I can't deny that Reese Witherspoon is a commercial and critical draw. I think she could be a great Carol Danvers.

GOD NO TO JLAW! She's the Benedict Cumberbatch of everything. So tired of her. I think it's very unlikely she gets this part.

I think Chastain may end up getting Medusa though, which would be fantastic.

OH! Lake Bell! After watching IN A WORLD... i realize how multitalented she is.

Even though she's younger than what they're looking for, Brie Larson's on my Danvers list.

#969 Suzanne78, Oct 29, 2014
  20. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

Emily blunt doesn't look anything like Carol danvers IMO

I wouldn't mind Jessica Chanstain.

21. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

Reese is 5'1. She make for an awful Carol. She's nearly a foot too small for the role and it would be laughable trying to watch her go head to head with the likes of Iron Man and the Hulk. The actress doesnt need to be the exact height that Marvel is in the books, but someone a bit closer to 5'11 would be alot more believable than a munchkin

22. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

Not saying they won't consider her, but so far they haven't been casting people by how much they might resemble the comic counterparts. I doubt they'll start now.

I find it strange when people say things like this. No real person looks exactly these comic book characters, who themselves look different according to each artist's interpretation.

23. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Definitely don't want the mohawk mask. I think it's quite unflattering and looks ridiculous that she has to stuff her hair through this little gap at the top of her helmet. Even the previous maskless Captain Marvel costume (which I don't like either) is better than that.

I want either a variation on the original (like in A:EMH) or the classic black costume with the lightning bolt. Both of those are more iconic than these recent iterations.

Ugh no. Rosamund Pike reminds me of recruitment consultant or management consultant, or just someone who works in the city. She's like some boss who would ask you to work late at the last moment just when you're heading out the door and then would kick up a fuss because you don't want to suddenly put your plans on hold, and all because she just wants to go for a drink with someone else and wants you to do her work for her.

I'd much sooner buy Yvonne Strahovski as an air force pilot and superheroine.

24. harryoscop

harryoscop Registered

Yvonne Strahovski looks just like the Ms Marvel of the comics, and she also has the right body type/build too IMO.

Costume wise, how about her Warbird costume? [​IMG]

Or her original costume 2.0
    [​IMG]

#974 harryoscop, Oct 29, 2014
  25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

So far away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.