Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're probably NOT going to give her her "iconic" suit. First of all, it being "iconic" is not a valid reason to use it in a movie in and of itself. WW has an "iconic" costume, that would look really stupid in live action. You do not want your actress to be embarrassed to wear their costume and having Carol stand alongside her fellow (fully clothed) Avengers teammates in what is essentially a one-piece swimsuit and thigh-high stripper boots would not send a particularly good message. It also doesn't even remotely fit her character. No, the fact that Marvel is pushing her in the comics a certain way, combined with the movie being called CAPTAIN Marvel, points to them using a variation of her current look, which is the best choice imo.

Yvonne Strahovski looks just like the Ms Marvel of the comics, and she also has the right body type/build too IMO.

Costume wise, how about her Warbird costume?
7316945_f120.jpg

Definitely don't want that. It looks almost like just the reverse colour scheme of Mockingbird's Agents of SHIELD jumpsuit and far too generic. I don't want Carol looking like yet another SHIELD agent. I want her to look like a superhero.

Just think: we'll have WW over at DC, and then we'll have someone who just looks like she's in a standard jumpsuit over at Marvel.

For the first female heroine of the MCU, she needs a proper superhero outfit. Something bold and unapologetic of the source.

Not saying they won't consider her, but so far they haven't been casting people by how much they might resemble the comic counterparts. I doubt they'll start now.
Robert Downey, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie, Sebation Stan (As WS) all bear resemblance to their comic book counter parts, not saying casting someone that looks like Ms Marvel is the top priority, but I expect the actress to bear at least some resemblance to the character in the comics.

I find it strange when people say things like this. No real person looks exactly these comic book characters, who themselves look different according to each artist's interpretation.
Robert Downey, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie, Sebation Stan (As WS) all bear resemblance to their comic book counter parts, not saying casting someone that looks like Ms Marvel is the top priority, but I expect the actress to bear at least some resemblance to the character in the comics.

Definitely don't want that. It looks almost like just the reverse colour scheme of Mockingbird's Agents of SHIELD jumpsuit and far too generic. I don't want Carol looking like yet another SHIELD agent. I want her to look like a superhero.

Just think: we'll have WW over at DC, and then we'll have someone who just looks like she's in a standard jumpsuit over at Marvel.

For the first female heroine of the MCU, she needs a proper superhero outfit. Something bold and unapologetic of the source.
Just throwing out some ideas, but you're right, she's needs to have a proper costume, after all IMO she's the "Wonder Woman" of the Marvel universe (and my favorite superheroine besides Wonder Woman)

Emily Blunt bears more of a resemblance to Black Widow though than Scarlett Johansson does. If Scarlett didn't dye her hair red, she actually looks more like the Yelena Belova Widow.

Anyway, I also hope that the actress who plays Carol looks immediately like her without needing to squint to see the resemblance.

I guess they do. I mean they have the same hair color (some of which has been changed) and style and are vaguely attractive representatives of their race.

Eh, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Blunt with a red wig would've been just as viable as Black Widow as Johansson with a red wig is. Strahovski could play Captain Marvel, Mockingbird, Agent 13, etc. if it's just about "looking" like the character.

Blunt and Strahovski would be my preferred choices. Amber Heard could work too.

If Marvel isn't willing to make a Black Widow movie because of Scar Jo's asking price, they damn sure aren't going to want to pay Jennifer Lawrence's asking price.

I love Lawrence but people fancast her too much and Marvel would never pay the money to secure her. I believe they will cast this role like they cast the others, cheaply and well.

I'm sick of hearing Blunt's name as well, she's fancast for everything but at least she is a realistic choice.

I find it strange when people say things like this. No real person looks exactly these comic book characters, who themselves look different according to each artist's interpretation.
He didn't say she doesn't look exactly; he said nothing like. At the very least an actor should reasonably resemble the part they are set to play. I can see a resemblance in most of the choices so far that have been cast in the films

He didn't say she doesn't look exactly; he said nothing like. At the very least an actor should reasonably resemble the part they are set to play. I can see a resemblance in most of the choices so far that have been cast in the films
This.

I guess they do. I mean they have the same hair color (some of which has been changed) and style and are vaguely attractive representatives of their race.

Pretty much.

My point is: the actress playing Ms Marvel should at least vaguely resemble her. Blunt doesn't really look like Carol.

My point is: the actress playing Ms Marvel should at least vaguely resemble her. Blunt doesn't really look like Carol.

Well, there's always wigs and hair dye. And there should be a lot more to the actress they choose for Captain Marvel than whether she looks like the character.

If it's a choice b/w Emily Blunt or Jessica Chastain, both of who have been nominated for Oscars, and Yvonne Strahovski, I'm not choosing the latter.

I will admit Yvonne is a huge longshot even before you consider her relative obscurity compared to the others. I've pushed for her so long though that I'd feel like a stinky traitor if I backed down now.

Well, there's always wigs and hair dye. And there should be a lot more to the actress they choose for Captain Marvel than whether she looks like the character.

If it's a choice b/w Emily Blunt or Jessica Chastain, both of who have been nominated for Oscars, and Yvonne Strahovski, I'm not choosing the latter.

The only way I'd choose Strahovski is if we lived in the darkest timeline where it somehow came down to her and Sackhoff.

This may be the only film in the MCU where she also debuts:

406px-Pulsar_Head.jpg

I think Strahovski is a pretty lightweight actress, I couldn't imagine her carrying a film.

I'd just like to say, I'm glad they went with CAPTAIN MARVEL instead of MS. MARVEL. Captain just adds a level of importance to the character which Ms. Marvel leaves out, :grin:

If Marvel isn't willing to make a Black Widow movie because of Scar Jo's asking price, they damn sure aren't going to want to pay Jennifer Lawrence's asking price.

I love Lawrence but people fancast her too much and Marvel would never pay the money to secure her. I believe they will cast this role like they cast the others, cheaply and well.

Lawrence is also, at least in my opinion, way too young for the part.

Amen. It's amusing (the least offensive word I can think of) that some people would rather choose a lesser actress who looks more like a particular artists rendering then an actress with real chops. And Blunt or Chastain would hardly be offensive to the iconography of the character.

Anyone think that we'll see Mar-Vell in Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 along with a human Carol? Then maybe he gets injured/ killed at the end and his powers are transferred to Carol, and the Captain Marvel movie is a direct continuation dealing with her discovering her new-found powers.

So it would become an essential movie to watch as it could be the connective tissue between A:IW1 and A:IW2 and not just a simple standalone female movie, thereby ensuring its success.

So her villains would probably already have been introduced in A:IW1, so that the Captain Marvel movie acts more as an interlude between the two big films where it simply develops her character more, instead of starting from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"