Sequels Changing the roster for Avengers 2?

Let's get this thread back on track.

And a note to certain people...if you want to make racist posts....go to another site. That is not welcome here.

I'd actually be fine with Hulk leaving the roster.

As long as he shows up somewhere else in the MCU, im okay with that. But Im gonna take a wild guess and say he will be in TA2.

The general public now thinks of Hulk as just as intrinsic to the Avengers as the big three, and Marvel's okay with that - Hulk products/comics/whatever falling under that umbrella along with Cap/Thor/Stark stuff is great for them. I doubt we'll see much of the Avengers without Hulk anywhere from this point forward, including in the comics.

The general public now thinks of Hulk as just as intrinsic to the Avengers as the big three, and Marvel's okay with that - Hulk products/comics/whatever falling under that umbrella along with Cap/Thor/Stark stuff is great for them. I doubt we'll see much of the Avengers without Hulk anywhere from this point forward, including in the comics.

Bingo.

I'd be willing to bet also that furture avenger films with an updated roster will still have Thor, Hulk, cap, and Ironman be the main avengers. The rest will be supporting characters.

Well not supporting characters but, I feel like the now "big four" WILL be the primary avengers for each of the movies. I don't think it will all be devided. I still think the big four will be the main avengers

Yeah, Hulk is not going anywhere. Especially since he was the most popular character in the first movie. Us comics fans would be fine with it, since it'd be comic accurate, but the general audience would be pissed off.

Maybe the comic fans can just run away into the sunset with Marvel Studios, forget the world and create a MU around the comics.

Hulk also has nowhere to go, anyway. After two failed big budget films, Marvel seems understandably reluctant to finance a third effort. But why risk it when Hulk can be used effectively in The Avengers series? He has finally found his niche as a crowd pleasing smash-happy warrior who can be a valuable asset to the team. Banner has also slotted in as one of the MCU's go-to scientists, with enough quirky charm to garner fans on his own. Dr. Banner and Mr. Hulk make the perfect wildcard character(s) for Joss Whedon's dysfunctional superhero family.

or in other words, if it aint broke don't fix it.

that said, i would still be interested in a solo hulk movie at some point down the road. not holding my breath though.

I also could do without the Hulk, but he's there to stay. Fortunately, he doesn't take much. He's kind of like... going supersaiyan or something. He's incredible because he's not usually there. If we saw Hulk all Hulked out sitting in meetings in Avengers Tower it wouldn't have the same effect... or maybe it would, I think that'd be an interesting thing to try out in Avengers 2.

We'll see how they introduce Falcon in Cap 2, that'll set the stage, I think.

Yeah, Hulk is not going anywhere. Especially since he was the most popular character in the first movie. Us comics fans would be fine with it, since it'd be comic accurate, but the general audience would be pissed off.

Geek irony: general audiences vent nerdrage over kicking Hulk out of the Avengers, while comic-book nerds are pretty much okay with it. Also new tonight: cats sleeping with dogs, and a massive cold front moving into the bad place region. Film at 11. :word:

I really think there's a huge divide between the non-comic book reading movieverse fans and the genuine (super amazing) comic readers.
Movieverse fans ship Thorki, Blackhawk, Stony. Comic book fan ship Winter Soldier x Black Widow, Clint x Mockingbird, Tony and...well whoever, Thor x Jane/Sif (personally I say Sif :woot:) Sharon x Cap.
Movieverse fans want the same characters every single movie, comic books fans want a changing roster.
Movieverse fans want every film to be based around Loki. Comicbook fans want Ultron, Skrulls, ect.

What is this fascination with "shipping" and "slashfic?"

bad place, if I'm gonna read/write that kind of comic erotica, I'd rather see Widow x Sharon, Rogue x Storm, and She-Hulk x Tigra x Jocasta.

I really think there's a huge divide between the non-comic book reading movieverse fans and the genuine (super amazing) comic readers.
Movieverse fans ship Thorki, Blackhawk, Stony. Comic book fan ship Winter Soldier x Black Widow, Clint x Mockingbird, Tony and...well whoever, Thor x Jane/Sif (personally I say Sif :woot:) Sharon x Cap.
Movieverse fans want the same characters every single movie, comic books fans want a changing roster.
Movieverse fans want every film to be based around Loki. Comicbook fans want Ultron, Skrulls, ect.

Just because someone is a movieverse fan that doesn't make them inferior. It's really tiring being looked down upon because I *choose* not to read the comics. I used to read X-Men comics all the time until I got just got kicked in the face one too many times and had to quit because they only served to piss me off. I'm not completely ignorant of what happens in the comics but I choose not to read most of them because why read something that will only make me unhappy? I like what I like, and that doesn't make me any less of a fan.

I'm also getting tired of all these generalizations. Not all movieverse fans 'ship all those couples, nor do they want Loki in every movie. And as much as I loved Ruffalo as Banner, I've never been a fan of the Hulk.

I'm sorry if I sound overly sensitive, but I'm getting really tired of "comic fans" hating on "movieverse fans". I'm not saying there isn't a divide there, but can't we all just be "fans"?

Back on topic, the reason I'd like the current team to stay is not because there's not a tonne of other awesome characters that would be cool to see on screen, but because we haven't seen enough of the team we have yet. We haven't seen them really come together, get to know one another, not develop individually as well as together. It's easy to change rosters in the comics because they get years and hundreds of issues to do so, but the movies only get 2.5 hours, which isn't enough to really flesh out the team we have before they start adding more to it.

Hawkingbird you're living in the past man. the situation is nowhere near that simplistic. Marvel has sort of figured out the whole fanboy/GA thing and they have the perfect go-between in Joss Whedon. Plus Kevin Feige who is sort of the same thing on the executive/business level.

Sneakronicity, welcome! Believe me, you are among friends. And if you find you have an interest in the comics, there are plenty of us who would be more than willing to offer suggestions. And if not, your comments on the MCU are still valid and welcome.

Right. The comics roster rotates, but usually not arbitrarily - the writer introduces their team, and writes several arcs for that team, with a character occasionally getting a big flowery exit or a new character or two being added as the story progresses. Rarely do we see characters being unceremoniously dumped from the team with no real reason given. (Well, actually that happened quite a few times during Bendis' run, but that was one of the problems with his writing.)

I love at least a dozen or so Avengers who I know will never be in the movies; that doesn't mean I would want Black Widow or Hulk to simply not appear in Avengers 2 just so Black Knight or Monica Rambeau could show up.

Sneakronicity, welcome! Believe me, you are among friends. And if you find you have an interest in the comics, there are plenty of us who would be more than willing to offer suggestions. And if not, your comments on the MCU are still valid and welcome.

Thanks for the welcome and the friendly words! I pick up a comic here and there if the solicits appeal to me (I am loving the new Hawkeye solo) but mostly I'm happy to stay in my MCU sandbox. But I will keep that in mind if I do decide to branch out! :)

And that's exactly what I was trying to get at, Chewy, only explained much better. :D

Sorry, I'm basing my opinion from Tumblr- home of the worst Marvel moveiverse fans on earth. I'm sure most of you are great.

That's another unfair generalization. I resisted Tumblr for a long time but when I finally got it I almost deleted it several times within the first week because twice in seven days my 'ship tag got hate bombed by a rival 'ship (most of whom would have been comic book fans). Fanwars make jerks out of everyone, basically. I've met a lot of really great, supportive and helpful comics fans, but I've also met a lot who are condescending and cruel. It goes both ways, just remember that.

What is this fascination with "shipping" and "slashfic?"

bad place, if I'm gonna read/write that kind of comic erotica, I'd rather see Widow x Sharon, Rogue x Storm, and She-Hulk x Tigra x Jocasta.

Well of course you would choose those same sex pairings because you're a straight male. And of course many women choose same sex pairings who are (primarily) male. bad place, the very first fan fiction I read as a kid was the original slash, Kirk/Spock.

Joss Whedon had something to say on the topic of roster changes at a Directors' Guild screening of The Avengers:

Although the filmmaker never revealed anything about Marvel's The Avengers 2015 sequel, he did acknowledge the importance of swapping characters every now and then. “I used to read 'The Avengers' and part of the ethos of the team was that it changed their lineup every month. Their 150th issue was just a bunch of faces. 'Who will be in the team now?!' We had the first issue as a poster in the offices. Now that I'm working on the sequel I said, 'Let's the second issue up there! Let's change it up a little bit!' The second issue is 'Introducing… Giant-Man! And this character! They were already changing it up after one issue. That's what they always do.”

via marvel-freshman at voldemort.com

This is the advantage of having a writer/director who is an actual fan of the comics: He understands the team dynamic and its tradition of constant evolution. It seems certain that we're going to see some new members in TA2. I'm hoping that this was a hint that Whedon will introduce Ant-Man & The Wasp, though the holdups in the Ant-Man solo movie may make this doubtful.

As much as I liked him in the first movie, if anyone gets the axe to make room for new members, sings look like they're pointing at Hawkeye.

As much as I liked him in the first movie, if anyone gets the axe to make room for new members, sings look like they're pointing at Hawkeye.

I hope that's not the case. Hawkeye got the shaft in TA and he's not appearing in any of the other Phase 2 films, so he should stay on in the sequel. Of all the characters, he is the one who deserves more screen time to have his character fleshed out.

Joss Whedon had something to say on the topic of roster changes at a Directors' Guild screening of The Avengers:

via marvel-freshman at voldemort.com

This is the advantage of having a writer/director who is an actual fan of the comics: He understands the team dynamic and its tradition of constant evolution. It seems certain that we're going to see some new members in TA2. I'm hoping that this was a hint that Whedon will introduce Ant-Man & The Wasp, though the holdups in the Ant-Man solo movie may make this doubtful.

He could've been just using an example from the comics, but I *hope* Joss slipped up a bit here by saying "Giant-Man" instead of "Ant-Man." I hope to bad place Pym shows up in the Avengers as Giant-Man and Lang is Ant-Man....I really, really would rather that Hank be giant-sized in the MCU. He has historically been giant-sized for far, far, far longer than ant-sized.

Also in that article, Joss posed a teaser about somebody who was *supposed* to be a villain for the team "to whale on" in addition to Loki, and he refuses to name names because Marvel indicates that they may use him later. Obviously not talking about Thanos --- there'd be no need for secrecy about that, since the cosmic cat is already out of the bag --- so feel free to speculate away. :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"