The Mandalorian Chapter Five Spoiler Discussion

I should have bet money people would start looking for things to complain about by episode 4-5. Disappointing being right like that.

Found myself laughing much, I enjoyed it. I don't enjoy correcting people who conflate homage and "rip off". Him showing up in Mos Eisley and knowing his was around isn't "ripping off" the other series.

It's in the same Universe.

I could totally see that as them cheaping out and reusing the costume for that shot lol
Yep. :hehe:

On one hand, it being the Mando makes sense. Especially as he is probably looking for allies. On the other hand, yeah, if they were trying to hide a certain someone, using the known outfit also makes sense.

Is being stronger then Rey a giant feat? She is not the strongest force wielder we have seen. She isn't not even be top 5:

1. Emperor
2. Vader
3. Yoda
4. Luke
5. Snoke

Considering the child, while 50 years old, is still technically an infant...yes.

Looks like the person at the end checking on her is...
6ceb1b38d81f828d41348ec66dd36119.jpg

It could be another Mandalorian :p

Stronger than adults? No.

Basically, you are strong in the Force or you aren't now. You are born with it.
Gizmo is not a stronger Force user then a properly trained adult Force user though. That is why he passed out after his little stunt and hasn't really done much since.

But yes, you either have the Force or you don't. Like most Force users, he is capable of reacting to moments of great peril.

But if Gizmo can already do all this at infancy, if he grows into a trained Jedi adult, he could likely smoke Rey with a thought.

Or Zuckuss.

If it was Boba Fett, I think I'd be disappointed that's how he's brought back.

To be frank, I was never a big proponent of resurrecting Darth Maul. It never seemed like the same character to me.

Then again, there's always been a big disconnect between Clone Wars and the prequels anyway.

Personally I think Boba surviving the Sarlacc is far less incredulous than Maul surviving bifurcation.

But then I also think having Maul return was one of the best ideas Lucas and Filoni had. It made him go from being a prop in an iconic action sequence and turned into a truly compelling antagonist that added another layer to the Sith.

How it is delivered matters. Of course it matters. Just saying stuff is happening without actual relation to what is going on is overtly bad writing and how you get info without any substance. You could start the opening crawl of Empire with a literal page from a Batman comic, it wouldn't suddenly make Luke Batman if the movie played out the exact same way.

I find it interesting how you say what you do about him staring at the kid while a voice over track plays, compared to what we saw this episode. The Mando shows more in this episode then he did the last imo. Mainly as the episode shows, it doesn't tell. The perfect examples are the Mandos continued interactions with the mechanic. It starts adversarial, with her clearly trying to extort the Mando, who is trying to make what little cash he has go as far as he can. She annoys him clearly, and he has no plans to do anything for her then what he must. Then he returns, sees the kid missing and freaks out. Once he realizes she has the child and has no ill intent towards him, he softens. Even taking her telling him off for his parenting skills. She is still trying to get more money out of him. When she risk her own life to help save the kid, he trust her and rewards her. He doesn't give her "what she is owed". He clearly overpays her, which is why the woman who spent the entire episode trying to extort him, just to play it cool and fails when she sees the money.

The Mando is at his most effective and tells us the most about him when he says very little. When he lets the silence do the talking. That is why he is Lone Wolf/The Man with No Name. Because his smallest utterance say a lot more, because he isn't a talker.

Also I am going to wager the ending of this episode is probably going to be the biggest "reveal" of them all.

That's just a silly analogy with no relevance whatsoever. A better analogy would be if someone told Luke that Vader is his father before he went to Cloud City. It would make for far less interesting drama, but the film would still have given us that information. It doesn't just vanish because it's poorly delivered.

I already told you that it's not just him looking, he actually makes all the preparations to leave the kid with the woman in the village because he doesn't think travelling with him is any life for the kid. It's a done deal until he then changes his mind after the assassination attempt. No wonder you don't think any information was conveyed if you don't even pick up on things that are spoken out loud.

His interactions with the mechanic isn't something new, and his change with her is far, far smaller than how much he opened himself up to the woman in the previous episode. There we even get a sense of that he could imagine settling down with someone, even if he ultimately won't. A glimpse of being more than just a stoic bounty hunter. What he did in this episode is entirely eclipsed by that previous information, and as for him paying her I think it was more that he had put her in danger. She doesn't actually do anything particular to help the kid, she just doesn't do what the young hunter told her so the Mandalorian could save them both. Even disregarding the woman in last week's episode I think the journey from annoyance to respect was more significant with the Ugnaught, not to mention how he actually became friends with Cara Dune, so again no new info in this episode.

Last week's episode just had more character information and introduced a new recurring character, while this mainly repeated some previous beats in a lesser way.

The ending was nothing but a tease for a future reveal, so if that's something special it will be special for the episode where it actually takes place. The assassin was barely a character so it's very unlikely that she'll play much of a part in it.

Last edited:
Just watched the first five episodes and the show has lost some steam the last two episodes. This one was pure filler with nothing to move the character or story forward.

Still it's an entertaining show, I think it's just probably more noticeable when I had to stop watching at this point. Even this fairly pointless episode still works better than the new saga movies.

Just watched the first five episodes and the show has lost some steam the last two episodes. This one was pure filler with nothing to move the character or story forward.

Still it's an entertaining show, I think it's just probably more noticeable when I had to stop watching at this point. Even this fairly pointless episode still works better than the new saga movies.

Yeah, I’m beginning to feel this way too. It just kinda feels like we’re watching Mando go from planet to planet, fighting or helping some people, and then moving on. The main plot lines around Mando’s past and Yodi feel like they’re barely being touched on. I’m still enjoying the show but right now it kinda reminds me of Burn Notice - a show with a compelling premise that takes a really long time to get to the overarching story because they have an episode quota they need to meet.

Also, that was a complete waste of Ming-Na Wen, unless that guy who finds her at the end is a necromancer who brings her back to life. If this was a one-off for her, I would have much rather seen an episode centered on her badass character instead of that stupid kid. The most satisfying thing in this whole episode was seeing him die. I guess that was the point but he was insufferable, partially because the actor wasn’t very good.

Well I'd call this episode another good time. I loved all the homages. I was surprised that it took place on Tatooine, but it was all welcomed. The only thing I knew about this episode before I saw it (I am staying away from spoilers, a first for me) is that it had a lot of fanservice. And boy did it, but I don't see it as a bad thing.

Let's see we had:
Dewback
Tatooine
Pit Droid
Tuskan Raider
Bantha
Service Droid model from Jabba's palace

Anything else I missed?

One thing I admittedly was disappointed by was the quick death of Fennec Shan, thought she might have been a bigger part of the series given her past, oh well though.

So what are critics saying? I'm seeing some of you getting frustrated. Are SJW treating the death of Fennec as the next Holocaust?

Could be Boba under the employ of Gideon? Fighting Mando with Mando

Except the Fetts aren't Mandalorian's anymore in canon.

But no one cares right? I don't.

Last edited:
I'm also avoiding reviews, sneak previews, social media and spoilers. I just watch an episode and wait till the next one drops while discussing it a bit on here.

I love me fan service! Bring it on

I’m starting to hate going back to SW social media groups. I know Mando hasn’t been as divisive but people are starting to lose interest after two slower episodes. I get we have interesting characters we want to know more about, but people for years have asked for a Star Wars film disconnected from the Skywalker saga, and now we have a series willing to play around in the galaxy...and everyone is getting pissed. What do people want exactly?

I didn’t care for the new hunter, but overall I loved the callbacks and fan service. I want to see what’s going on immediately after the Empire, before the FO happens.

Well I'd call this episode another good time. I loved all the homages. I was surprised that it took place on Tatooine, but it was all welcomed. The only thing I knew about this episode before I saw it (I am staying away from spoilers, a first for me) is that it had a lot of fanservice. And boy did it, but I don't see it as a bad thing.

Let's see we had:
Dewback
Tatooine
Pit Droid
Tuskan Raider
Bantha

Anything else I missed?

One thing I admittedly was disappointed by was the quick death of Fennec Shan, thought she might have been a bigger part of the series given her past, oh well though.

So what are critics saying? I'm seeing some of you getting frustrated. Are SJW treating the death of Fennec as the next Holocaust?

It wasn't just Tatooine, it was Mos Eisley and he visited the Cantina Bar.

This was definitely the episode where it was all fan service.

It wasn't just Tatooine, it was Mos Eisley and he visited the Cantina Bar.

This was definitely the episode where it was all fan service.

I kinda lumped that in with Tatooine lol. But yeah you're right. They could have gone somewhere else on the planet, and they choose our favorite place for scum and villainy.

Also, anyone else thing before the show's end, Mando is due for a new ship?

I'm interested in the main story and how the season finale will go down but I'm not really in a rush to get from point A to point B either. Filler episodes aren't always a bad thing if done well and they are here to me. Entertaining and fun!

Was cool getting a space battle at the beginning, and seeing Tattooine and Mos Eisley, especially how the intro wide shot of Mos Eisley looks exactly like how it's introduced in A New Hope (though Mos Eisley seems a little more sparsely populated these days, especially in the cantina, that place was hopping back in the day), and Tusken Raiders and Banthas, and a Dewback. Also the pit droids from The Phantom Menace, and the service droid model from Jabba's palace.

There are times when I think the smaller-scale budget gets a little obvious, like some clunky fight choreography, Mos Eisley seeming so empty, and the way both the AT-ST last episode and the Dewback this episode were mostly filmed at night to obscure the CGI a little.

The mounted Stormtrooper helmets (with heads still in them?) was a nice touch.

"She's got the high ground", "she's no good to us dead". I see what they did there.

Jake Cannavale's acting wasn't the greatest but personally I kind of thought an almost unrecognizable Amy Sedaris' was more clunky.

As for that figure approaching at the end, between the spur sound, and what little we can see of his outfit and cloak, it did make me think Boba Fett.

Let's see we had:
Dewback
Tatooine
Pit Droid
Tuskan Raider
Bantha

Anything else I missed?

So because Ming-Na Wen got dusted after about 5 minutes of screentime, criticizing the show for it makes someone a SJW now? Way to jump to conclusions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"