The Mandalorian Chapter Five Spoiler Discussion

I like this show but there doesn’t really seem like there’s a sense of urgency to the series. Baby Yoda is cute and all but we know Mando is not going to run away forever so what’s the endgame?
Exactly!

I think the series peaked too early. I don't think anything can top Chapter 3 for me.

Definitely filler, but still a solid episode. If this is your weakest episode of the series so far you're still doing something right. I thought Mando made some dumb plot driven decisions, but it was still nice to finally see Ming-Na and the mechanic taking care of Baby Yoda was hilarious.

So how did Baby Yoda manage to leave his napping place? Lol. I wish Mando never left him behind in the first place. What was he thinking? Of course the little guy was gonna come out to explore. Hehe.

No matter what with any television series there are always going to be filler episodes. It’s just a given. Doesn’t mean they can’t be enjoyable though.
I wouldn't classify a character based episode as filler. And after sitting through last week, this one felt like Empire in terms of importance. :o

I wouldn't classify a character based episode as filler. And after sitting through last week, this one felt like Empire in terms of importance. :o

I didn’t really think this was a filler episode, just what others have been saying.

So how did Baby Yoda manage to leave his napping place? Lol. I wish Mando never left him behind in the first place. What was he thinking? Of course the little guy was gonna come out to explore. Hehe.

What do you mean how did he manage to leave his “crib”. He got up and got out, how is that so difficult to assume haha.

Interesting. What do you feel was more important here? I liked this episode a bit more than the previous one (mainly due to that I think the trope last episode felt a bit more heavy handed), but I think that had more character development for the Mandalorian and his relationship with the kid, plus it introduced a character that I assume will be recurring. This one didn't change the character at all, it didn't add anything new to the story, and of the three new characters two died and the other seems like a one and done. Even the planet was something we had already seen.

No way it's Fett, it would be too big.
It was nice to see Mos Eisley again (again as since ANH and my time in SWG), plus Mando went to the same cantina, seeing it and the droid bartender brought a smile on my face.

Last edited:
What do you mean how did he manage to leave his “crib”. He got up and got out, how is that so difficult to assume haha.
Yeah Mando is clearly shown lowering the steel door of the sleeping berth.
I assume locking it too. He knows how many Hunters are after it.
The loud (almost Kryat Dragon sounding) noise made before the Yoby emerged, read in part as the Yoby himself, but also in part the sound of the metal door of the sleeping berth being strained (force'd) open.
They really had fun with that! As he emerges LOL!

Last edited:
Interesting. What do you feel was more important here? I liked this episode a bit more than the previous one (mainly due to that I think the trope last episode felt a bit more heavy handed), but I think that had more character development for the Mandalorian and his relationship with the kid, plus it introduced a character that I assume will be recurring. This one didn't change the character at all, it didn't add anything new to the story, and of the three new characters two died and the other seems like a one and done. Even the planet was something we had already seen.
Last week didn't feel like development for the Mando to me. It felt like exposition dumps, that told and didn't really show. I understood the intention last week, but it fell flat to the point that I felt like I wasn't even watching the same character. Which is why they were big on Cara explaining everything. As opposed to this week, where we were back with the same guy from the first three episodes, exploring how he is handling being a father, interacting with someone who judges him on those skills, and the more classical Seachers bit with the younger bounty hunter. The less the Mando talks, the more we learn about him so far imo. Like the dude knows how to talk to Tusken, and might be the first person to not get in a fight with them in the history of Star Wars.

Yeah Mando is clearly shown lowering the steel door of the sleeping berth.
I assume locking it too. He knows how many Hunters are after it.
The loud (almost Kryat Dragon sounding) noise made before the Yoby emerged, could be in part the Yoby himself, but also in part the sound of the metal door of the sleeping berth being strained (force'd) open.
They really had fun with that! As he emerges LOL!

Hmm Interesting. I'll have to keep my ear out for that part.

Last week didn't feel like development for the Mando to me. It felt like exposition dumps, that told and didn't really show. I understood the intention last week, but it fell flat to the point that I felt like I wasn't even watching the same character. Which is why they were big on Cara explaining everything. As opposed to this week, where we were back with the same guy from the first three episodes, exploring how he is handling being a father, interacting with someone who judges him on those skills, and the more classical Seachers bit with the younger bounty hunter. The less the Mando talks, the more we learn about him so far imo. Like the dude knows how to talk to Tusken, and might be the first person to not get in a fight with them in the history of Star Wars.

I'm not talking about the delivery of the information, that's a separate issue to what information that was actually being told. We saw him showing more heart towards people in need than before, we saw more of his development with the kid and what he wants for him, we learned more about Mandalorian culture, we learned more about how his equipment works, we met a new important character, we saw a glimpse of a new planet, etc.

In this episode we didn't really learn more about his relationship with the kid as he was just protective by leaving him behind again. His mission only showed us that he's capable of communicating with Tusken Raiders, otherwise everything was as expected from what we've already learned, with him being a competent bounty hunter, honorable and that he takes jobs that pay well.

So I still don't see what makes this episode like Empire compared to the last one.

I'm not talking about the delivery of the information, that's a separate issue to what information that was actually being told. We saw him showing more heart towards people in need than before, we saw more of his development with the kid and what he wants for him, we learned more about Mandalorian culture, we learned more about how his equipment works, we met a new important character, we saw a glimpse of a new planet, etc.

In this episode we didn't really learn more about his relationship with the kid as he was just protective by leaving him behind again. His mission only showed us that he's capable of communicating with Tusken Raiders, otherwise everything was as expected from what we've already learned, with him being a competent bounty hunter, honorable and that he takes jobs that pay well.

So I still don't see what makes this episode like Empire compared to the last one.
Last week's episode told us everything to try and tell last week's episode's story, which caused it to play out in isolation. It rang false, because it did not match what came before or in this episode, and the "information" existed to allow that episode function in the very cliched way it did. If I had to guess, it will have very little bearing on the character of the Mando going forward. Like a lot of good shows that have bad episodes where characters don't act like themselves and it doesn't end up jiving with the overall story or character.

I disagree we saw him progress with Gizmo last week. The Mando looking at Gizmo from distance while someone spouts exposition is not progression. This week we learned he has crappy parenting skills, while at the same time accepting the intervention of someone else who cares, as long as he finds their intentions good. He went from, "where is the kid" to becoming friendly with not Ripley, and he rewarded her in the end.

We also saw how he handled the bounty situation, which was again different from how he handled similar situations in the first three episodes. He read the kid right away, but also knew he needed the money. Little scenes like going to get the dewback said something. Where he probably would have put up a fight in a different situation, he instead just went with it. Which is interesting, considering how he handled the Jawas.

Last week's episode told us everything to try and tell last week's episode's story, which caused it to play out in isolation. It rang false, because it did not match what came before or in this episode, and the "information" existed to allow that episode function in the very cliched way it did. If I had to guess, it will have very little bearing on the character of the Mando going forward. Like a lot of good shows that have bad episodes where characters don't act like themselves and it doesn't end up jiving with the overall story or character.

I disagree we saw him progress with Gizmo last week. The Mando looking at Gizmo from distance while someone spouts exposition is not progression. This week we learned he has crappy parenting skills, while at the same time accepting the intervention of someone else who cares, as long as he finds their intentions good. He went from, "where is the kid" to becoming friendly with not Ripley, and he rewarded her in the end.

We also saw how he handled the bounty situation, which was again different from how he handled similar situations in the first three episodes. He read the kid right away, but also knew he needed the money. Little scenes like going to get the dewback said something. Where he probably would have put up a fight in a different situation, he instead just went with it. Which is interesting, considering how he handled the Jawas.

Again, how good the episode is has nothing to do with where there was more information given. We already agree on liking this week's episode more, but if you're going to ignore information because you didn't like it our discussion will be pointless.

He wasn't just looking at the kid, he directly showed that he doesn't want for him to have a life on the run, or a life like he (the Mandalorian) has, but to give him a nice home where he'll be happy and safe. He didn't show anything new in being a crappy parent in this episode either, he just treated him like he did before by stowing him away. He wasn't that friendly with the mechanic, certainly less than with the woman in last week's episode. I didn't see it as him rewarding her, he paid her what was owed for the repairs like he has always done, giving her the credits of the one that threatened her life because of him. And even if he had rewarded her it wouldn't have been a bigger thing in that category than him helping the village last week.

There wasn't anything particularly special about his tactics in this episode and there was less of it than the plan he set up in last week's episode. It's not the first time he's been agreeable to someone and ready to swallow his pride for progress when there's been differing opinions in a tight situation either. He played along plenty with the Ugnaught's whims, for example.

In the end, the introduction of Cara Dune alone is bigger for the story than anything in this episode. You could probably skip this episode and not miss a beat on anything.

The Child is strong in the Force. Possibly stronger than Rey. He could probably figure out how to get out. Even in episode 2, he was aware Mando was hurt and was trying to heal Mando.

I enjoyed all the callbacks this week. Was this functionally a filler episode? Yeah kind of. But it gets across Mando and the child are still on the run, and they are still being tracked.

Plus, we got to revisit Mos Eisley/Tatooine and see how it's changed post-Jedi, which was neat.

The Child is strong in the Force. Possibly stronger than Rey. He could probably figure out how to get out. Even in episode 2, he was aware Mando was hurt and was trying to heal Mando.

I enjoyed all the callbacks this week. Was this functionally a filler episode? Yeah kind of. But it gets across Mando and the child are still on the run, and they are still being tracked.

Plus, we got to revisit Mos Eisley/Tatooine and see how it's changed post-Jedi, which was neat.
Is being stronger then Rey a giant feat? She is not the strongest force wielder we have seen. She isn't not even be top 5:

1. Emperor
2. Vader
3. Yoda
4. Luke
5. Snoke

Again, how good the episode is has nothing to do with where there was more information given. We already agree on liking this week's episode more, but if you're going to ignore information because you didn't like it our discussion will be pointless.

He wasn't just looking at the kid, he directly showed that he doesn't want for him to have a life on the run, or a life like he (the Mandalorian) has, but to give him a nice home where he'll be happy and safe. He didn't show anything new in being a crappy parent in this episode either, he just treated him like he did before by stowing him away. He wasn't that friendly with the mechanic, certainly less than with the woman in last week's episode. I didn't see it as him rewarding her, he paid her what was owed for the repairs like he has always done, giving her the credits of the one that threatened her life because of him. And even if he had rewarded her it wouldn't have been a bigger thing in that category than him helping the village last week.

There wasn't anything particularly special about his tactics in this episode and there was less of it than the plan he set up in last week's episode. It's not the first time he's been agreeable to someone and ready to swallow his pride for progress when there's been differing opinions in a tight situation either. He played along plenty with the Ugnaught's whims, for example.

In the end, the introduction of Cara Dune alone is bigger for the story than anything in this episode. You could probably skip this episode and not miss a beat on anything.
How it is delivered matters. Of course it matters. Just saying stuff is happening without actual relation to what is going on is overtly bad writing and how you get info without any substance. You could start the opening crawl of Empire with a literal page from a Batman comic, it wouldn't suddenly make Luke Batman if the movie played out the exact same way.

I find it interesting how you say what you do about him staring at the kid while a voice over track plays, compared to what we saw this episode. The Mando shows more in this episode then he did the last imo. Mainly as the episode shows, it doesn't tell. The perfect examples are the Mandos continued interactions with the mechanic. It starts adversarial, with her clearly trying to extort the Mando, who is trying to make what little cash he has go as far as he can. She annoys him clearly, and he has no plans to do anything for her then what he must. Then he returns, sees the kid missing and freaks out. Once he realizes she has the child and has no ill intent towards him, he softens. Even taking her telling him off for his parenting skills. She is still trying to get more money out of him. When she risk her own life to help save the kid, he trust her and rewards her. He doesn't give her "what she is owed". He clearly overpays her, which is why the woman who spent the entire episode trying to extort him, just to play it cool and fails when she sees the money.

The Mando is at his most effective and tells us the most about him when he says very little. When he lets the silence do the talking. That is why he is Lone Wolf/The Man with No Name. Because his smallest utterance say a lot more, because he isn't a talker.

Also I am going to wager the ending of this episode is probably going to be the biggest "reveal" of them all.

Looks like the person at the end checking on her is...
6ceb1b38d81f828d41348ec66dd36119.jpg

I didn't feel like this was for sure a filler episode. And I can name a show that doesn't have filler shows or that many of them. Especially 8-13 ep shows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"