Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the exception of Winter Soldier, I actually prefer phase 1 over phase 2.

Me too. When it comes to sequels I think Iron Man 3, Thor The Dark World and Age Of Ultron were all steps down from Iron Man, Thor and The Avengers. Captain America The Winter Soldier is a step up from The First Avenger. Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man were both great entries though.
All in all I feel like with Doctor Strange Marvel Studios released its third excellent movie in a row.

Phase 1 had some weaker films, with The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. Thor and The First Avenger were also fine, but not groundbreaking. Iron Man 1 and the Avengers were the highlights of phase 1.

Phase 2 had a weak start with Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World. But since The Winter Soldier came out, I feel like Marvel has been on a roll. Age of Ultron isn't the best, but I enjoyed it quite a lot, and Ant Man was also great--imo it is better than most of the solo films in phase 1.

And the first two films of phase 3 are gold. Can't wait for GOTG2 and Spider-Man Homecoming.

Phase 2 > Phase 1 for me. IMO Iron Man Three is underrated and I actually like AoU more than A1.Its only weak spot was TDW and I still put it above IM2 and TIH. But then again their worst movie is still perfectly adequate so personally I'm a happy Marvel fan.

Last edited:
Their tune changed after The Avengers. There's interviews where Snyder talked about MoS being its own thing (like TDKT) and will have nothing to do with the Justice League.
I'm Probably splitting hairs. I think we're both saying that it didn't start/wasn't pitched as the DCEU start. I think where we differ is I think even before Avengers they were thinking shared universe. Maybe not at the forefront but in the back of their minds they were thinking "This could be the start" and then of course after the Avengers they thought or at least we're open to admitting "this is for sure the start"

They've had weaknesses in both Phase 1 and 2 but are now on an awesome roll which I think will continue.

Marvel has yet to give us a Spider-Man 3, Batman v Supernan, or X-Men Origins bad level movie. Their worst films are still competently made movies.

I think that Thor: The Dark World is my least favorite. Mainly because the character bores me outside of the Avengers lineup, but I still think the movie was serviceable. Fans of the character usually tell me that they enjoyed the movie.

Iron Man 2 is my second least favorite.

The MCU has some 6/10 films which for me would not really be worth rewatching as standalone films but work as part of a universe project (which noone else has got right yet). But now they are on a roll with consistently good films and will continue to dominate for many more years if they can keep this standard up.

The MCU has some 6/10 films which for me would not really be worth rewatching as standalone films but work as part of a universe project (which noone else has got right yet). But now they are on a roll with consistently good films and will continue to dominate for many more years if they can keep this standard up.
Exactly how I feel

All they had were release dates. They had no real vision about what they actually wanted to do, they just assumed BvS would be this massive thing that would solve everything. Part of why I want Universal's Monsters Universe to work is because they are following the same formula as Marvel, building slowly film by film. If that works its proof the only way you make a cinematic universe work is if you actually take the time to do the ground work. The DCEU will then forever be the lesson as to how you don't do this type of thing.

Like I said, not a great plan.

But that would be nice to have someone ANYONE else do it right, so that it's less "Oh Marvel whatever" and it's just plain old strategy.

Remember when the executives at WB announced the DC slate at a shareholders meeting? And those of us who took issue with that, fearing it was an indicator of a reactive, short-sighted mindset amongst the suits at WB, were loudly ridiculed by some around here?

Good times.

I'll take a slice of that humble pie. I really thought they had something other than just titles and assumptions.

How can you make a coherent extended universe when every movie you make is just reactionary to what came before? You are right, I think the plan lasted all of 2 films.

Apparently you can't. In their defense, I don't think they realized they were cowards who weren't able to function outside of an ideal circumstance.

Or maybe MoS wasnt the success they wanted so they rushed even further into a team up movie. I really don't think that MoS did what they wanted. Let's say they spent MoS 320 mill making and marketing MoS, which I think is a fair number. It made $660 mill. Only a little then double of the "reported" budget. That and Joe Starr of ScreenJunkies claimed once that they let people go after the release of MoS

But MoS was meant to launch a Cinematic Universe. Remember the Wayne Tech satellite, and apprently there were easter eggs for Aquaman

CGI easter eggs can be added late in post production if need be. The story structure that is hostile to a shared universe however is something different.

He also works on DCTV.
Not great, but not too shabby.

Honestly, that makes it more Shabby to me. Geoff Johns' silver age take on the Rogues kind of lowered the quality of the whole show. For the first few episodes there was room to suspend some disbelief on why Barry didn't handle business at super speed, but by the time Geoff's big Rogues episode hit, it was full on 'two guys with guns that Flash can't figure out how to punch' and the show has been bereft of meaningful physical tension ever since. Flash is a hard character to challenge, physically, but Johns really didn't give a F, his love for the silver age took that show down a peg.

What's saddest is that it's kind of proof positive that visual storytelling in comics is different than on television. Basically, when I cut from Flash dodging a blast to him thinking in a comic, the reader's brain fills in the missing panel to make it interesting, challenging, and etc. In film, on TV, we can clearly see that he's just standing there, not using his most basic abilities, and it doesn't work as well.

And that weakness, and not realizing that weakness is why I have very little confidence in his fabled 'quality' pass on the GL 2011 script. He's an A list comic book writer, but when I look at GL 2011, I see a lot of angles that would have worked well in the comics, the expositional character development, the rube goldberg style constructs for conflicts, bit there's no good movie to pull out there like there is for, say, the Star Wars Prequels, or even FFINO.

So, Boo to Geoff Johns as a filmmaker or Kevin Feige replacement or any such thing. Write moar comics.

Some of their solo phase 1 movies and the first couple of phase 2 films wouldn't be much if they were completely standalone and not in a cinematic universe.

I don't think anyone would care about Thor if he existed on his own. Iron Man would've probably lost his popularity after the sequels. He had a good origin story, but the character isn't as interesting beyond that unless he is involved in the Avengers. Just my opinion though.

CGI easter eggs can be added late in post production if need be. The story structure that is hostile to a shared universe however is something different.
If you follow the thread of what I said: I think even before Avengers they were thinking shared universe. Maybe not at the forefront but in the back of their minds they were thinking "This could be the start" and then of course after the Avengers they thought or at least we're open to admitting "this is for sure the start"
They've been trying to get a shared universe for how long? Since that old Batman vs Superman script in 02.(speaking of which I read it only once and didn't like it but I should dust it off and see)
Hell they were talking shared universe with GL before that went left.
They've been interested in the concept since before the MCU even formed.
People really think they weren't thinking shared universe back with MoS :huh:

Honestly, that makes it more Shabby to me. Geoff Johns' silver age take on the Rogues kind of lowered the quality of the whole show. For the first few episodes there was room to suspend some disbelief on why Barry didn't handle business at super speed, but by the time Geoff's big Rogues episode hit, it was full on 'two guys with guns that Flash can't figure out how to punch' and the show has been bereft of meaningful physical tension ever since. Flash is a hard character to challenge, physically, but Johns really didn't give a F, his love for the silver age took that show down a peg.

What's saddest is that it's kind of proof positive that visual storytelling in comics is different than on television. Basically, when I cut from Flash dodging a blast to him thinking in a comic, the reader's brain fills in the missing panel to make it interesting, challenging, and etc. In film, on TV, we can clearly see that he's just standing there, not using his most basic abilities, and it doesn't work as well.

And that weakness, and not realizing that weakness is why I have very little confidence in his fabled 'quality' pass on the GL 2011 script. He's an A list comic book writer, but when I look at GL 2011, I see a lot of angles that would have worked well in the comics, the expositional character development, the rube goldberg style constructs for conflicts, bit there's no good movie to pull out there like there is for, say, the Star Wars Prequels, or even FFINO.

So, Boo to Geoff Johns as a filmmaker or Kevin Feige replacement or any such thing. Write moar comics.
These, and he's better with arcs and long running threads than handling standalone stories, which most of these movies should feel like.

And remind the audience every 20 minutes that they are evil.

"We're bad guys! It's what we DO!"

The MCU works in a similar fashion as television: it is "director proof." Now that isn't to say that the directors don't add their own flavor to each movie, but they are under heavy guidance from Feige and his team at Marvel.

The Russos use their own talents for the fighting scenes, Whedon injects his brand of humor into the Avengers movies, and so on. But they all feel consistent with the overall Marvel brand.

It's almost becoming a Superman/Batman/JL(U) Animated Series did/will do it better.

MOS - Last Son of Krypton
BvS - Bit of a cheat but I'd say World's Finest > BvS
Suicide Squad - Task Force X
GCS - Holiday Knights and Girls Night Out

I feel that the whole TV show approach is the only way a shared universe can work. Look at the DCAU and YJ animated universe, you need someone(s) who has a vision and control of how the universe works. That way the writers, directors, etc. don't look too drastic from one another.

Like, I really can't buy the Joker and Harley Ayer created to be something Affleck would have. Not saying they would have to come up with the exact same thing, but it just seems so drastic.

IM-TIH-IM2-T-CA-MTA = 5+3+3+4+4+5 = 24/6 = 4
IM3-TDW-TWS-GOTG-AOU-AM = 4+3+5+5+4+4 = 25/6 = 4.1

Phase 2 edges Phase 1 overall for me.

I feel that the whole TV show approach is the only way a shared universe can work. Look at the DCAU and YJ animated universe, you need someone(s) who has a vision and control of how the universe works. That way the writers, directors, etc. don't look too drastic from one another.

Like, I really can't buy the Joker and Harley Ayer created to be something Affleck would have. Not saying they would have to come up with the exact same thing, but it just seems so drastic.
I don't know if Affleck is going to know what to do with this Joker.

:cough: MCU :cough:

I have a hard time believing that suicide squad takes place in the same universe as Man of Steel. It's just so inconsistent. It was the same thing with both TASM movies, thy never felt like they occupied the same universe. One film is darker and more serious, the other has a goofy Russian mobster driving a truck and yelling at cops, "say hello to Aleksei Systevich!!!"

Man of Steel is so serious, then we have suicide squad which is just off the rails crazy and silly. Other than some name drops and Batman cameos, it did not fit with the previous two films.

Hopefully Affleck completely ignores Leto's Joker and we never have to suffer through that horrible performance again

I don't know if Affleck is going to know what to do with this Joker.

Do a subtle recast where letoker is dunked in a vat of chemicals and emerges tattoo-less with a more a classic personality.

It seems to me that WB's experiment of getting 'visionary' directors to helm these movies have been a massive failure.

Meanwhile, Marvel picks out no-name directors out of nowhere and have them make really strong films. It's really amazing.

Kenneth Branagh? Joe Johnston? Scott Derrickson, who made those great horror films The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Sinister (the best horror film I'd seen in years)? Likewise, Ryan Coogler showed us what he could do with Fruitvale Station and Creed.

Not all of them (Reed, Taylor, Favreau, Black) have made "really strong" films, anyway. They make money, sure. I'm not talking about that.

The Russo's literally did zero films before Winter Soldier. And now they've taken the MCU to greater heights.

Do a subtle recast where letoker is dunked in a vat of chemicals and emerges tattoo-less with a more a classic personality.
Maybe they should just have him be Jason Todd like that funny rumour from last year.

Last edited:
Ant Man was also great--imo it is better than most of the solo films in phase 1.

Where can I watch the version of Ant-Man you saw, because the theatrical cut was definitely not better than Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Avengers. Ant-Man is a poor man's Iron Man.

IM-TIH-IM2-T-CA-MTA = 5+3+3+4+4+5 = 24/6 = 4
IM3-TDW-TWS-GOTG-AOU-AM = 4+3+5+5+4+4 = 25/6 = 4.1

Phase 2 edges Phase 1 overall for me.

I do my ratings out of ten, so I'm curious how my ratings add up.

Phase 1: 8 + 6 + 6 + 7 + 7 + 8 = 42/60 = 7.0
Phase 2: 7 + 7 + 9 + 9 + 6 + 7 = 45/60 = 7.5
Phase 3: 10 + 8 = 18/20 = 9.0

Definitely headed upwards.

I actually wasn't crazy about Ant-man either, it was saved by an exciting third act for me.

Having said that, you got to give Marvel credit for making a movie about freakin Ant man, and it being received well by audiences and critics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"