Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I watch the version of Ant-Man you saw, because the theatrical cut was definitely not better than Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Avengers. Ant-Man is a poor man's Iron Man.
It can be viewed in a land called 'personal opinion'

Phase 2 also edges 1 for me and I think Phase 3 will be all at least 8/10 films and maybe just Ant Man/Wasp being a 7 or 7.5.

I actually wasn't crazy about Ant-man either, it was saved by an exciting third act for me.

The third act is where it all came unglued for me.

Having said that, you got to give Marvel credit for making a movie about freakin Ant man, and it being received well by audiences and critics.

When you keep ordering from McDonald's, you know what you're going to get. :cwink:

Am I the only one who feels that the Russo brothers are the best thing that has happend to MCU. As they both made two awesome films that are considered two of the best CBM's of all time.

The third act is where it all came unglued for me.

When you keep ordering from McDonald's, you know what you're going to get. :cwink:

I don't even want to think of what disgusting food the DCEU should be compared to, if the MCU is McDonalds. Even if there is a greater assortment, it always tastes like crap :cwink: .

If you follow the thread of what I said: I think even before Avengers they were thinking shared universe. Maybe not at the forefront but in the back of their minds they were thinking "This could be the start" and then of course after the Avengers they thought or at least we're open to admitting "this is for sure the start"
They've been trying to get a shared universe for how long? Since that old Batman vs Superman script in 02.(speaking of which I read it only once and didn't like it but I should dust it off and see)
Hell they were talking shared universe with GL before that went left.
They've been interested in the concept since before the MCU even formed.
People really think they weren't thinking shared universe back with MoS :huh:

I don't know what they were thinking. They could have been 100% about the shared universe, they could have given up on it with GL and been 100% on board the 'give a visionary free reign of a standalone trilogy because that worked before mode.' Knowing what we know now, about how hard they flip flop and how quickly, how reactionary these guys are, can their 02 script or a poorly received attempt at the shared unvierse be evidence that they hadn't reversed their position temporarily in 2011 when MOS was in pre-production, only to renege on it in 2012, after Avengers, when MOS was in Post-Production?

But again, I don't read minds.

What I *do* know is that the story structure of MOS is entirely about Kal El as the singular hero of the world, and leaves little room logically, thematically or narratively for an underwater or island reclusive super peoples, to say nothing of, say, a Green Lantern of Sector 2814. This is not to say these things cannot be shoehorned in, or we can handwave and say 'oh, no one complains about this stuff for Marvel (they do) or in comics (comics have world ending events on a daily basis, no one can be at all of them).' But that doesn't change the fact that the story structure itself is about Superman as an isolated hero, who has no equals and is perfectly capable of saving his world all on his own, not unlike Nolan's Batman.

Marvel has yet to give us a Spider-Man 3, Batman v Supernan, or X-Men Origins bad level movie. Their worst films are still competently made movies.

I think that Thor: The Dark World is my least favorite. Mainly because the character bores me outside of the Avengers lineup, but I still think the movie was serviceable. Fans of the character usually tell me that they enjoyed the movie.

Iron Man 2 is my second least favorite.

Where does The Incredible Hulk (2008) fit into Marvel's early successes and failures?

That's a poor comparison because McDonald's is cheap, bottom of the barrel crap. The equivalent to McDonald's would be those no budget mockbusters found in pharmacies and grocery stores.

Marvel is more like In-N-Out Burger. Maybe not as good a gourmet standalone place where you pay $15 per burger, but very good for a chain and it always delivers.

Unless you've been to the West Coast or Vegas, most people aren't familiar with the gloriousness of In-N-Out. Honestly, I've eaten there half a dozen times and it's always delivered. Meanwhile, DCEU is like 1/2 out of 3.

They had a plan alright, but it ended up being a broken mess.
Now I can safely say after they lost it, whatever plan they had stopped progressing in favor of improvising.

I don't remember if I was one of those, or simply shaking my head thinking "Guuuuyyyss, wait and see".
I think I owe you an apology either way.
Wait and see it totally different then how people were losing their minds. So definitely no need to apologize. :funny:

The thing I said then that a list of movies is not a plan. Especially as they don't even have Batman and Superman solos on it. I knew there was little to no chance that the list would be made as is. Like how deep in production could any film really be at that point? I was still on the BvS hype train at that point, so it wasn't like I wanted it to fail. But it was obviously not a real plan. It was a goal more then anything.

Early Marvel was ridged for a reason. To set a foundation for the shared universe. It is also why they have phases. Natural starting and ending points to change as they please.

Unless you've been to the West Coast or Vegas, most people aren't familiar with the gloriousness of In-N-Out. Honestly, I've eaten there half a dozen times and it's always delivered. Meanwhile, DCEU is like 1/2 out of 3.
I have lived next to one for a decade. Sometimes the fries are cold, but the burgers are always worth the trip.

So sick of all this negativity :csad:

I got a solution for you.

ozNtwQz.jpg

You may think we're all Marvel fans but some of us are both and are disheartened by the state of the DCEU. It's great that the previous 3 worked for you, but it didn't work for a lot of us.

Marvel may get a pass for things because of their consistency but DCEU has to come through in some way for the people who don't like the films to earn even a small fraction of that.

So spinning how great it is that Ayer is back, or that the Batman gets pushed up but the Flash and JL2 gets pushed back or that there seems to be 15 films conceptually between now and 2020 it shouldn't be surprising why a lot of people aren't giving the benefit of the doubt to WB/DCEU.

Last edited:
I actually wasn't crazy about Ant-man either, it was saved by an exciting third act for me.

Having said that, you got to give Marvel credit for making a movie about freakin Ant man, and it being received well by audiences and critics.

When you keep ordering from McDonald's, you know what you're going to get. :cwink:[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that critics are always right and that just because something is popular with the GA, that it makes it a better movie, BUT Marvel movies are consistently getting better overall reception and reviews than WB/DC movies.

What restaurant is WB/DC associated with?

EDIT: In any case, I don't think the restaurant analogy is a very good one.

It's worse for those of us are finding ourselves feeling so negative about how characters we love are being mistreated on screen. This year two of my all time fav characters, Batman and Joker, were horribly done in the movies.

That really sucks!

It's worse for those of us are finding ourselves feeling so negative about how characters we love are being mistreated on screen. This year two of my all time fav characters, Batman and Joker, were horribly done in the movies.

That really sucks!

i felt the same way, I was so pissed off when I saw what they have done to two of my favorite characters of all time.

Still trying to wrap my head around David Ayer directing "Gotham City Sirens".

200.gif

Perhaps a food-related analogy isn't fitting, but the MCU films are, to me, like products made by a multinational corporation: standardized and predictable. When I see a MCU film, I know exactly what I'm getting. It'll be good but not great, temporarily entertaining but not thought-provoking or memorable. DCCU films have more personality and take more risks, and that means that there are more chances for ideas to succeed or fail. But I'm not bored. I think about the films and their ideas well after I leave the theater, and the films offer something new with most rewatches.

IM-TIH-IM2-T-CA-MTA = 5+3+3+4+4+5 = 24/6 = 4
IM3-TDW-TWS-GOTG-AOU-AM = 4+3+5+5+4+4 = 25/6 = 4.1

Phase 2 edges Phase 1 overall for me.

Me too actually but not by much either.

IM-TIH-IM2-T-CA-MTA = 3.5+3+2.5+2.5+3+4 = 18.5/6 = 3.1
IM3-TDW-TWS-GOTG-AOU-AM = 3.5+2+4+3+3+3.5 = 19/6 = 3.2

The thing is, in my opinion, Phase 2 failed to meet or exceed the standard set by The Avengers and features what I think is the weakest Marvel film. That's probably why I think I prefer Phase 1 overall even though the maths show otherwise.

As someone whose a fan of both it does suck that DCEU has this shroud of negativity around but I totally understand why. In my humble opinion, I really think the studio heads are the ones who **** the bed and caused this situation. I think both BvS and SS did not have their fair chance to have their original visions properly judged by fans and critics in theaters. And while, yes, there's definitely a lot of people who still would've had big problems with Snyder's 3hr BvS movie or whatever Ayer's original edit would've been, at least they would've been judged on their own merits and not seen as incoherent messes.

Also, I think one BIG thing WB NEEDS to do is start hiring comic people, or people who have an affinity to these characters to start writing the scripts for these movies. Nolan had Goyer who is a huge comic nerd to teach him all about Batman lore and probably helped instruct him on the history of the character and his world. People may hate Goyer but I think he was the much needed backbone for Chris and Jonathan Nolan to work off of.

Terrio, I'm sure, is a great, intelligent writer, but that doesn't change the fact that he had no affinity for comic books or these comic characters. And ultimately, even though Zack is a comic guy himself, he was working off of Terrio's story and dialogue and I think it shows in the movie. You can tell which parts are Terrio and which are Snyder's influence. Goyer should've been kept on or someone of equal DC knowledge, like Johns, should've written at least the first draft of the script. I think Goyer would've written a much less polarizing, much more "comic-book-y" film and people, in general, would probably be a lot happier with Batman and Superman's characterizations. I love them for trying something different and I personally really dig the end result, but if the end result is me seeing "AT LEAST THIS ISNT BVS BAD!" comments when I'm reading a review about Collateral Beauty then I don't know if it was worth the risk and maybe they should've played it safe.

Last edited:
One quick fix from the DCEU could be to stop announcing films before they are ready to be made. Variations on this list have been posted elsewhere, but here it goes again:

Wonder Woman
Justice League
The Batman
Aquaman
The Flash
Shazam
Gotham City Sirens
Justice League Dark
Man of Steel 2
Deadshot
Cyborg
Green Lantern Corps
Justice League 2
Booster Gold

The first two are in the can and the next couple are locked in as well, but the other ten? There's a very good chance at least half of them will either be cancelled, replaced or altered beyond all recognition.

Over at the other studio we've got a grand total of one cancelled movie that morphed into a mini-series. Followed by a whole lot of silence. Johns and Co. need to stop this nasty habit of calling every random idea a movie in development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"