Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - Part 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what you will about X3 but it has some of the best Magneto moments in the series. His speech on T.V, and the scene where he chews out Pryo for talking smack about Xavier.

I guess I'll also add the unpopular opinion that I think Mckellen was a better Magneto than Fassbender. I think Fass lacked some of the gravitas of Ian.

I don't think it's that unpopular of an opinion. McKellen is deservedly very highly regarded even if my preference is for Fassbender's version. I don't think McKellen as Magneto compares to McKellen as Gandalf though.

Why he worked so well in Thor for me is he wasn't really even a villain. He was a son looking for his father's approval. His confrontation with Thor at the end of the film is one of my favorites. Two brothers who clearly love each other, and thus know how to hurt each other. Loki trying to get Thor to react is beautiful, tears in and the eyes and all.

And then he became a one note buffoon after the opening scene in the Avengers. And well, it is better not to talk about The Dark World.

Exactly.

You may not like him, but he is a good actor.

Give me yo goddamn address and I will send ya rats in a box too.
I think he is a good actor, though I am not fan of him. I also think he was a bad choice for the Joker. His acting in SS confirmed that one for me.

You can keep the rats BN.

Leto is a tryhard actor, he's that guy who makes other actors who go method look bad.

Ayer and Leto both deserve the isssh. :funny:

Leto was horrible imo, but he is barely in the movie. The rest of the movie is godawful. One of the worst directing and editing jobs I have seen in a while. And I watch plenty of trash. It was so bad I stopped caring that Robbie was dressed like that.

I understand what you are saying but i'm talking about the general feeling online. Not only here or in the X-forums. MCU villains are bashed all the time, there are articles on IGN about how Marvel can improve their villains and in other sites. Not one article has ever poped up about how Fox can improve their villains.

Is it because the MCU is far more popular? is it because Fox has more panned movies and people are desperate to find a gripe about the MCU? I can't find anothe explanation? Why isn't there just a continued conversation about Fox villains since they wasted FAR MORE ICONIC MARVEL villains than the MCU and we all know it. Apocalypse, Galactus, Doom.

Where is there a general vibe about the MCU villains and Fox gets a pass? Isn't that hypocritical? And please don't tell me it's because they have better villains...

Two factors:

1.) The villains are the key weakness of the MCU (though over-use of humour is up there). It's not as widely discussed about Fox films because they have their own problems that take priority, like basic continuity and wildly varying quality.

2.) While Magneto has been done to death at this point, he is above anyone in the MCU in terms of villains. Both of them. Stryker was great the first time around too. Villains aren't a persistant problem over at Fox. The good films tend to do pretty well with them.

Last edited:
And he will be great in Blade Runner and fanboys will finally give Ayer more isssh, which they should.
I serious hope he put away his bad Jim Carrey impersonation for Blade Runner 2049. And definitely stayed away from being method.

Anyway, he's a bad choice for the Joker. Every single decision he (and Ayer) made for the character is crap.
So, you like watching bad movies over good ones. Whatever rocks your boat. I prefer it the other way around.
I prefer watching bad and entertaining films over good and forgettable. But I don't want it sound like it's a defense of the **** we were getting.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, Ayer and Leto are both to blame for the Joker. I'm sorry, "Mistah J".

A lot of people are to blame for that Joker.

I'm surprised to find out that Steve is still Captain America at the end of the film. Even though he has clearly dropped both the shield and the costume.

Well, technically, he *is*. . . because its neither the costume nor the shield that make him Captain America. Its the kind of person he is. Take all that away, and he's still the man who can bring a whole organization into uprising with a speech.

Sam Rockwell is the best part of Iron man 2.

I wouldn't say he's the *best* part, but he certainly was a very good part. I'd love to see him appear again, providing the tech backing for a bunch of lower level supervillains. He was charismatic in his lack-of-style, and had a good solid motivation.

I'm actually a fan of the last couple of Marvel villains. I actually love Ultron.
I would agree X24 was more of a weapon than a villain. I would argue that until the end of TWS he was just a weapon of Hydra as well.

With a real war going on out there, this corporate zombie war aint issh.

Carry on with yo biased preferences. I luv ya'll.

I'm actually a fan of the last couple of Marvel villains. I actually love Ultron.
I would agree X24 was more of a weapon than a villain. I would argue that until the end of TWS he was just a weapon of Hydra as well.

I actually liked Ultron as well, he just needed at least one scene where he wrecks The Avengers.

Two factors:

1.) The villains are the key weakness of the MCU (though over-use of humour is up there). It's not as widely discussed about Fox films because they have their own problems that take priority, like basic continuity and wildly varying quality.

2.) While Magneto has been done to death at this point, he is above anyone in the MCU in terms of villains. Both of them. Stryker was great the first time around too. Villains aren't a persistant problem over at Fox. The good films tend to do pretty well with them.

I would also point out that Magneto is one of the best comic book villains in all of comic history. In nearly every comic villain ranking, he's in the top 10 consistently, if not the top 5 to 3. He's probably the best sympathetic, or understandable villain in the entire medium. So that helps.

I'm not defending Marvel's villains, because overall they have been weaker. But many of their villains haven't been exactly powerhouse characters in the comics. Some have, many haven't. I don't think that's an excuse mind you, because a good writer can make c-list characters compelling. (Nobody thought Mr. Freeze would be a great tragic villain, and then BTAS got their hands on him.)

The past couple Marvel films, I haven't minded the villains, in fact, many of them I've found quite good. Zemo and Pierce for example I really enjoyed. However, while they were very functional villains (they served the plot very well, they certainly enhanced and were a reflection of the themes of their respective films), they weren't all that compelling or impactful. Nostalgia Critic actually has a good video about this, talking about Disney and how they no longer seem to be able to make classic villains the way they used to. It gets into an interesting conversation about how often times the most memorable villains end up being in films that have simpler stories, whereas while the newer disney films villain's aren't as iconic, they serve their respective stories better. I don't think this is always the case, (TDK is a great example of a complex film that has a villain who serves the story and is iconic) but it's an interesting conversation to be had.

Being a great villain in comic books doesn't always translate to being a great villain in the movies.

Just look at Dr. Doom in the F4 movies.

^ Well, he hasn't exactly been given a great shot at it, though.

Two factors:

I agree on the first part but i disagree on the second. Even if Magneto is better than all MCU villains, he is one guy. Fox has wasted villain Like Doom (TWICE), Silver Samurai, Apocalypse and Galactus. The only truly great villain that Marvel has wasted is Ultron. Fox is still on the losing side of this. They even have more movies than marvel yet the only 1-2 villains just out. The same as Marvel. yet Fox isn't called out as much. For me this is clearly a double-standard.

Being a great villain in comic books doesn't always translate to being a great villain in the movies.

Just look at Dr. Doom in the F4 movies.

True. Great source material should mean the villain can be done well on film but of course doesn't mean a given team making a film about them will know what they're doing with them. In the right hands though there is a tonne of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"