Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd give Spidey 2 the throne of being the best movie made about a marvel character. But Logan is right behind it.
I really like Spider-Man 2. But I don't think it has aged well. Same for X2.

It has nothing to do with aging. Spider-Man 2 get's bogged down by unnecessary drama, the movie grinds to a halt after Peter loses his power, and there's a genuine unlikable love interest. I actively dislike Mary Jane in SM2, and I liked her in the first film (though I think Dunst was always a miscast).

Then there's dumb Raimi quirks I'm not a fan of. The screaming woman yelling into the camera like she's possessed doesn't belong in the movie.

The Hospital scene is great though.

[BLACKOUT]Raimi's first Spider-Man film is superior[/BLACKOUT]

It has nothing to do with aging. Spider-Man 2 get's bogged down by unnecessary drama, the movie grinds to a halt after Peter loses his power, and there's a genuine unlikable love interest. I actively dislike Mary Jane in SM2, and I liked her in the first film (though I think Dunst was always a miscast).

Then there's dumb Raimi quirks I'm not a fan of. The screaming woman yelling into the camera like she's possessed doesn't belong in the movie.

The Hospital scene is great though.
I feel like the age has a lot to do with the response it got imo. There was no The Dark Knight back then.

SM-2 is the second best CBM after TDK. It's aged like a fine wine. Magnificently. So has X-2.

I think the only thing that hinders the early X-Men films is the low budget. Singer could handle scenes like anything Wolverine or Nightcrawler but the group battles for something like the X-Men were lacking.

I don't even remember any group battles with the X-Men until X-3. Singer did great with one on one fights like Wolverine vs Lady Deathstrike.

[BLACKOUT]Raimi's first Spider-Man film is superior[/BLACKOUT]
I really like Spider-Man 2. But I don't think it has aged well. Same for X2.

I'll pull a Spidey-Aziz and rewatch that Raimi trilogy like I did with the X-Men OT.
What stood out to me with X2 was surprisingly how well it has aged especially compared to the very indie-like first.

You might as well have put quotation marks around group battles. They tended to be very brief (Toad ripping off Cyclops visor, Storm vs. Sabretooth) or splitting up the team into more one on one battles (at the statue of liberty or at the dam).

People like to bash Singer for his action scenes (some of which is warranted, the wire-fu is ridiculous) but the Nightcrawler opening scene and the Quicksilver scene are some of the best set pieces in the genre.

I'd even make a push for the plane sequence in Superman Returns being one of the best.

SM-2 is the second best CBM after TDK. It's aged like a fine wine. Magnificently. So has X-2.
Yeah, if we just ignore things we would complain about today. :woot:

The villain plot and love interest situation would not be well received today.

I'll pull a Spidey-Aziz and rewatch that Raimi trilogy like I did with the X-Men OT.
What stood out to me with X2 was surprisingly how well it has aged especially compared to the very indie-like first.
Logan's storyline holds up. That still works really well imo.

Yeah, if we just ignore things we would complain about today. :woot:

The villain plot and love interest situation would not be well received today.

Speak for yourself, but I'm not ignoring anything. Even by today's standards they hold up with the best.

No ifs, ands or buts.

People like to bash Singer for his action scenes (some of which is warranted, the wire-fu is ridiculous) but the Nightcrawler opening scene and the Quicksilver scene are some of the best set pieces in the genre.

I'd even make a push for the plane sequence in Superman Returns being one of the best.
And then he proved everyone right with the finale of Apocalypse. :woot:

Still wondering what the hell happened with Apocalypse. It's like they just ran out of money.

Watched X2 recently and it really has aged well. Not watched Spidey 2 in a little while but last time I did I didn't feel it has aged terribly.

You might be, but I'm not ignoring anything. Even by today's standards they hold up with the best.

No ifs, ands or buts.
Outside of a nice performance from Molina, what exactly is Doc Ock's function? A chip has made him murderous and he needs to blow up New York because why exactly? His claws tell him so?

As to MJ, the woman who functions simply to be Peter's LI, while being in love with Spider-Man, engaged to someone else and then starts randomly kissing her fiance upside down when considering whether she should try to get with Peter. :funny:

But don't worry, another villain uses her as a plot device to be rescued. Everything is good. :woot:

Still wondering what the hell happened with Apocalypse. It's like they just ran out of money.
Poor decision making. The look of Apocalypse wasn't just bad, it limited the movement of the character so much.

Outside of a nice performance from Molina, what exactly is Doc Ock's function? A chip has made him murderous and he needs to blow up New York because why exactly? His claws tell him so?

As to MJ, the woman who functions simply to be Peter's LI, while being in love with Spider-Man, engaged to someone else and then starts randomly kissing her fiance upside down when considering whether she should try to get with Peter. :funny:

But don't worry, another villain uses her as a plot device to be rescued. Everything is good. :woot:

And then she leaves her fiancé at the altar :wall:

But hey she reunites with Peter, so now were supposed to feel happy!

It made me dislike MJ only more, and I felt really bad for Jameson's son. He seemed like a nice guy.

It made me dislike MJ only more, and I felt really bad for Jameson's son. He seemed like a nice guy.

I've said this for years. He should have been Venom.

Astronaut who's been to space. Grudge against Peter.

Agreed that X-2 holds up pretty damn well in the age of Peak Superhero. The chemistry among the team members (Bobby/Logan/Marie/John and Storm/Jean/Kurt in particular) were some of the best we've had in the genre, the Blackbird escape scene was just a slight notch below the jet sequence in the Incredibles, and we got to see Wolvie's berserker rage. And that ending........after seeing that (SPOILER ALERT!) glow in the water I could hardly wait three whole years to get what was certain to be a perfect conclusion to the trilogy!

And then she leaves her fiancé at the altar :wall:

But hey she reunites with Peter, so now were supposed to feel happy!

Her leaving him always worked for me. Yeah it was a bit crappy, but better then a bitter marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"