Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it to be a very smart film. I love the how AIM (a symbolic stand-in for the military industrial complex) exploits America's islamophobia by creating a boogeyman terrorist to act as a front, giving the public the villain they want, while committing the real crimes behind the scenes. A crime that the vice president of the country is also involved in.

Timely. Clever. But it never draws attention to itself like Nolan, Goyer and Snyder would by using artificial expository dialogue.

It also helps Ben Kingsley as Trevor Slattery is just hilarious. But that humor is in service of something. America's foreign policy is a joke. Just like slattery and the Mandarin.

You and me, are two of the few Hype people who found the Trevor joke funny.

Right, I think those are all strong points, it was a funny joke. But I just have my own personal issues with it. It's almost a one and done in some regards.

Some of these films I watch over and over (sue me I'm a nerd on a forum). But that one is hard to do that with, largely for the same reasons it's unique. It doesnt follow that formula we are used to.

Sometimes when these flicks don't follow the formula it's enthralling and game changing. But other times it's hard to stomach. For me at least. Just a personal opinion.

Please. The minority who didn't are vocal. Plenty of people did.

I adore Iron Man 3 for very much the same reasons Tacit. And im a big shane black fan.

Right, I think those are all strong points, it was a funny joke. But I just have my own personal issues with it. It's almost a one and done in some regards.

Some of these films I watch over and over (sue me I'm a nerd on a forum). But that one is hard to do that with, largely for the same reasons it's unique. It doesnt follow that formula we are used to.

Sometimes when these flicks don't follow the formula it's enthralling and game changing. But other times it's hard to stomach. For me at least. Just a personal opinion.
I will give you this: Guy Pearce is lame. But that's just a tiny stain on an otherwise arresting painting.

I also love Tony's journey. His arc of retreating into his creations (the suits) to deal with his problems to finally destroying them at the end to be with whom he should: Pepper.

I find it to be a very smart film. I love the how AIM (a symbolic stand-in for the military industrial complex) exploits America's islamophobia by creating a boogeyman terrorist to act as a front, giving the public the villain they want, while committing the real crimes behind the scenes. A crime that the vice president of the country is also involved in.

Timely. Clever. But it never draws attention to itself like Nolan, Goyer and Snyder would by using artificial expository dialogue.

It also helps Ben Kingsley as Trevor Slattery is just hilarious. But that humor is in service of something. America's foreign policy is a joke. Just like slattery and the Mandarin.

That's what I love the most about it :up:

So most of you probably already discussed this but, let's play a game.

BvS or Age of Ultron
BvS or Avengers
BvS or Winter Soldier
BvS or MoS
BvS or Fantastic Four(2005)
BvS or X-Men
BvS or X-Men: Days of Future Past
BvS or Iron Man 2(When you dive into it these films are actually a bit similar)

and last but not least

BvS or Spider-Man 2

Please submit one out of each pair. Just curious to here opinions. :D

I will give you this: Guy Pearce is lame. But that's just a tiny stain on an otherwise arresting painting.

I also love Tony's journey. His arc of retreating into his creations (the suits) to deal with his problems to finally destroying them at the end to be with whom he should: Pepper.

Absolutely, the strongest moments in the film are the protagonists and their relationships, and demons, etc. Honestly without those it would be mostly trash imho.

Then again, hard to say many MCU films don't fall in the same category. MCU villains suck.

Last edited:
The action scenes are also awesome. The destruction of his house, the barrel of monkeys scene, and him fighting goons with one Iron-man arm and leg. Great stuff.

BvS or Age of Ultron
BvS or Avengers
BvS or Winter Soldier
BvS or MoS
BvS or X-Men

and last but not least

BvS or Spider-Man 2

I think BvS and Age of Ultron are on par with one another. Both are overwhelming and too full of themselves to be effective films. But BvS needed to be more than AoU was. And I may still even give AoU the leg up because Vision and Scarlet Witch were done so well.

Man of Steel was also better than BvS. I liked MoS. Wasn't perfect, but I liked it.

Man of Steel was also better than BvS.

Yeah. MOS is a coherent film that doesn't get the titular character. BvS is an incoherent film that doesn't get both of its titular characters.

The action scenes are also awesome. The destruction of his house, the barrel of monkeys scene, and him fighting goons with one Iron-man arm and leg. Great stuff.

The destruction of the house was ruined for me when later in the movie it was revealed he had an army of fully working suits in the house and didn't think to use them instead of the malfunctioning prototype armour he did use.

I also thought the Air Force one rescue was ruined by the stupid joke at the end of it flying into the truck and the reveal Stark wasn't even in the suit.

Stuff like this has ruined the movie upon repeat viewings. I enjoyed it when I first saw it. But repeat viewings have made the movie go way down in my estimations.

I also thought the Air Force one rescue was ruined by the stupid joke at the end of it flying into the truck and the reveal Stark wasn't even in the suit.

Stark not being in the suit is a thematic point. This film was all about showing how Iron Man is meaningless without Tony Stark. It's about how the man (that would be Tony) makes the suit.

He saved all those people while using Iron Man like a video game.

BvS or Age of Ultron
BvS or Avengers
BvS or Winter Soldier
BvS or MoS
BvS or X-Men

and last but not least

BvS or Spider-Man 2

Everything is better except FF.

However, I have to say that the Batman rescue scene is probably the best Batman action scene that I ever seen in cinema. And honestly, I can say are better than some of the action in a few of the other aforementioned films.

BvS has some really good moments, but the storyline and presentation is just not that good. I'll wait for it to be out a little while before I'd analyze it here.

Stark not being in the suit is a thematic point. This film was all about showing how Iron Man is meaningless without Tony Stark. It's about how the man (that would be Tony) makes the suit.

He saved all those people while using Iron Man like a video game.

Doesn't that kind of make the opposite point though? That anyone could save those people playing Iron Man like a video game?

Or that 15 people couldve saved those people far more effectively playing 15 Iron Man suits like video games?

The uselessness of Mark 42 was a running joke as well as a thematic point (Shane Black likes to combine storytelling with humor). The suit was to be his crowning achievement at that point in time. The ultimate toy to hide himself away from his troubles. But it instead gave him more trouble. The entire toy was useless because it came from a destructive place, to run and isolate himself. Like he said, the suit was a cocoon.

Doesn't that kind of make the opposite point though? That anyone could save those people playing Iron Man like a video game?

Or that 15 people couldve saved those people far more effectively playing 15 Iron Man suits like video games?

No. Because he would be the only one who can presumably play it that way.

Metaphorically, Stark would be the grandmaster who has won gaming championships. Anybody else would be a novice.

BvS or Age of Ultron
Age of Ultron by a wide margin.
BvS or Avengers
Avengers, not even a contest.
BvS or Winter Soldier
Winter Soldier, single handedly.
BvS or MoS
I can see why people say MoS is better, but I prefer Batman v. Superman in this case. It has the added bonus of Affleck and Jeremy Irons.
Nobody in BvS was as bad as Jessica Alba and Julian McMahon were in Fantastic Four. BvS wins this one.
BvS or X-Men
X-Men is the better film, but BvS is better at being faithful to the source material. X-Men deserves a lot of credit for helping to kickstart the superhero genre into what it's become today, but it's very primitive now compared to most of what's come out in the past 10-15 years.
Days of Future Past without question.
Iron Man 2. It had a lot of the same "we need to build the universe" flaws, but it was nowhere near as sloppy about it as BvS was.
and last but not least

BvS or Spider-Man 2
Hands down, Spider-Man 2.

These are too easy. You'd need to compare BvS to some more mid-to-lower tier comic book movies like Thor: The Dark World and Green Lantern to get some more eclectic answers.

I'm still looking forward to SS and WW. Ayer is doing his own thing. And Patty Jenkins isn't an idiot like Snyder. They ought to be good.

Marvel has never made anything as bad as BvS. Not even close.
I also still get a kick out of people hating on Iron Man 3.

I love IM3 too. But I think BvS is ages better than TDW, and not nearly as disappointing as AOU. I don't know how I'd rank it in comparison to others, I'll have to see it again to look at it more focused.

Marvel has never made anything as bad as BvS. Not even close.
I also still get a kick out of people hating on Iron Man 3.

I agree. The disappointing movies from Marvel are still on another level than the BvS mess. I don't remember the last time I saw such a sloppily put together film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"