• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waiting for Deadpool to be included.

Trying.... maybe that too needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I think it started off with Captain America because it was 2016.

Civil War v.s BvS

Then Batman Lego because it was Batman.

Then Logan because it was dark.

WW because it was DCEU.

Not sure why GOTG2, HC and Thor was inserted except that they were all rated higher and afterwards.

I think Deadpool wasn't added because it was released before BvS.

It's annoying. Thankfully, the CW DCTV is trying to keep it to an extent.

Mmmm... I don't think this is stupid at all, and am not seeing what makes it seem lazy. For the MCU, secret IDs make little sense, which is why "I Am Iron Man" worked so well. The power of the secret ID is in the alter-ego, but these characters have not had alter-egos for quite some time, even in comics. So the only story left to tell is hiding secrets from ones girlfriend 'to protect them.'

This is where the CW shows how dumb this can be. Only when the loved one is completely separate from the action is the secret identity effective in protecting them... but then they are irrelevant to the story, dragging the quality of the show down. Once they're sufficiently useless, they're brought into the story, where lacking information consistently puts them in more danger, and keeping information from them leads to the incessant variations of 'you lied to me!' that makes up the bulk of their social interactions, revealing that the secret IDs are actually more associated with lazy writing than public ones. More often than not, those defending things like Clark Kent's glasses call upon the audience to suspend their disbelief, not take it so seriously, which is the klaxon call of lazy writing, iirc.

I don't doubt that secret IDs can be reconstructed to work in a modern context, and add to the story in a way similar to how they did before the age of information, but I can't think of anyone who is doing that right now. As long as the superhero has a team/social interaction in costume, the point of the secret identity, to have a normal social life, is rendered moot.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, SMHomecoming handled this by giving him only one guy in the chair, so that he couldn't have a whole social life with the mask on. This is destroyed as soon as he does something like... join the Avengers.

Last edited:
It's annoying. Thankfully, the CW DCTV is trying to keep it to an extent.

Not really. They're the worst offenders. Oliver called Felicity by her real name hundreds of times out in the field before Season 4, and Diggle just ran around without any kind of consistent disguise or codename for years.

Not really. They're the worst offenders. Oliver called Felicity by her real name hundreds of times out in the field before Season 4, and Diggle just ran around without any kind of consistent disguise or codename for years.
Yeah. It is somehow worse. :funny:

Okay now that I've seen the "reveal" in Justice League... I gotta say it reminds me of a particular movie.

It went below 50 on Metacritic. On Critics Choice it went up to 65. But keep in mind BvS is 62 there.

It went below 50 on Metacritic. On Critics Choice it went up to 65. But keep in mind BvS is 62 there.

Anybody have the Flixter app? It shows the RT score. I know it was at 50 as well but that was 5 or 6 hours ago.

According to iEquinox it was 52% but apparently it's no longer visible.

Flashpoint is a waste of time and money. Don't spend a movie soft rebooting everything, just do it.

Let alone one of your biggest character's first live action film

I always knew handing Snyder the keys to the kingdom was a terrible idea but I never would have thought it'd turn out this poorly.

Just saw the movie. ****, it's a weird one.

Tonally, yeah, it's better. During the first fifteen minutes, in spite of awkward editing, I thought-- "Yeah, I can get on board with THIS DC Extended Universe"... What they're trying to do is obvious and cloying, but we DID demand they do it, so...

Bruce is a bit better, but also just feels kinda there sometimes. But you can tell in the reshoots... He doesn't care. I swear he makes the most over-the-top OH WOW face when Superman shows up in the final battle.

All the Amazons are cool. The flashback, while cool as well, just sorta happens.

Wonder Woman's still great, some questionable moments aside.

Flash ranged from "oh, cool" to "ugh, shut up".

Aquaman's... fine? I don't know. I liked Atlantis.

Cyborg made even less of an impression than that.

Superman, I can confirm, is the best bit of the movie. But gosh, that face CG is always awkward at best and jaw-droppingly bad at worst (his first scene with the cellphone footage. Still-- I need a solo movie with THIS Superman right damn NOW.

It just lurches from scene to scene, with no real set-ups or payoffs. Some parts I thought to myself "Do I really need to be watching this movie?", and other parts I had to stifle laughter with how **** just came and went out of nowhere... People just... SAY things... A scene in the greenscreencave Batcave in which the team out of the blue decide to resurrect Supes, and WW is out of the blue against it, and Bruce out of the blue shames her for walking away from mankind because of Steve, and yada yada. Or during the final battle, where Batman tells the team to go fight stop Steppy while he draws away the Parademons in the FLying Fox... At the END of that sequence, the others save him from certain
death and he says "This isn't the plan". To which Alfred replies "No. This is the TEAM." And I'm like "Oh, THAT'S what they were going for with this sequence?! Could've been cool, instead? Mess.

I'd also like to point out an obvious reshoot where Diana's just wearing a red cloak over her outfit for one scene, not before or after. It's during one of the two unnecessary WonderBat sexual tension scenes.

Edited to add more stuff.

Last edited:
heading in now to see it.

Tonally, yeah, it's better. During the first fifteen minutes, in spite of awkward editing, I thought-- "Yeah, I can get on board with THIS DC Extended Universe"... What they're trying to do is obvious and cloying, but we DID demand they do it, so...

Bruce is a bit better, but also just feels kinda there sometimes. All the Amazons are cool. The flashback, while cool as well, just sorta happens.

It just lurches from scene to scene, with no real set-ups or payoffs. Some parts I thought to myself "Do I really need to be watching this movie?", and other parts I had to stifle laughter with how **** just came and went out of nowhere... People just... SAY things... A scene in the greenscreencave Batcave in which the team out of the blue decide to resurrect Supes, and WW is out of the blue against it, and Bruce out of the blue shames her for walking away from mankind because of Steve, and yada yada. Or during the final battle, where Batman tells the team to go fight stop Steppy while he draws away the Parademons in the FLying Fox... At the END of that sequence, the others save him from certain
death and he says "This isn't the plan". To which Alfred replies "No. This is the TEAM." And I'm like "Oh, THAT'S what they were going for with this sequence?! Could've been cool, instead? Mess.

I'd also like to point out an obvious reshoot where Diana's just wearing a red cloak over her outfit for one scene, not before or after. It's during one of the two unnecessary WonderBat sexual tension scenes.

Superman, I can confirm, is the best bit of the movie. But gosh, that face CG is always awkward at best and jaw-droppingly bad at worst (his first scene with the cellphone footage.

Did John William's Superman theme play?

How long before we get "things that cost less than Superman's digital shave for JL"? :)

Bruce is a bit better, but also just feels kinda there sometimes. All the Amazons are cool. The flashback, while cool as well, just sorta happens.

Superman, I can confirm, is the best bit of the movie. But gosh, that face CG is always awkward at best and jaw-droppingly bad at worst (his first scene with the cellphone footage.

That stinks. Is the resurrection scene as bad as I have heard?

The CG on Henry's face is distracting as hell.

Did John William's Superman theme play?

Only what's in the Friends and Foes track, from what I noticed. That's actually a cool fight overall, though--

I don't know WHY Superman's so confused, and downright creepy/malicious. It's funny how they try to awkwardly set it up with Diana earlier. In the horrible Batcave scene, when Diana just KNOWS Supes will come back angry (I think they try to link it to Lex and Doomsday,but it doesn't quite work) Bruce says something like "I'll have a contingency for that. Should work." aka Lois. Diana says "If he sees you first, you better hope so".

Loved watching him fight, though.

That stinks. Is the resurrection scene as bad as I have heard?

The resurrection itself? It was... okay? The set-up for it, though... Oof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"