Colin Trevorrow Is Episode IX's Director

Brad Bird was offered Episode VII and turned it down so he could work on Tomorrowland.

The thing with Trevorrow is that he knows how to put a film together and make it entertaining, but he's not exactly the type of guy that will blow people away. He'll do fine, but i kind of hoped for a more insipired choice like Duncan Jones, Alfonso Cuaron or Matt Reeves.

If they wanted a safe choice, i kinda wish they had gone with Brad Bird, i think his style would fit Star Wars like a glove.

We don't know that. We will have to wait and see. People really do too much of the "one strike" you're out kind of ordeal. I trust Kathy in finding talent she has done an incredible job so far. I don't think she would just do someone like IX just because.

Agreed about the "one strike", should have added "based on his past films, i don't think he will blow people away like the other directors".

@ThePhantasm i know Brad Bird turned Episode VII down, but right now he only has The Incredibles 2, i guessed he would now have time for Star Wars, as Episode IX is only coming out in 2019.

I think Safety was a great film. Showing a lot of his potential. But still,how do you know he won't surprise, or blow you away? Duncan Jones...honestly after seeing the SDCC Warcraft footage, I was not impressed at all. It looked like a giant Blizzard Entertainment Cinematic. Which is not really a compliment since it was supposed to be live action. Hope I'm wrong, but it looks to "Avatar" to me. However I love Moon. My point being, you can never be 100% on any director. I understand where some are coming from with Colin after JW. But I think he has talent, and I just felt the writing and story for JW was it's major problem. It's execution is what at least made it entertaining enough for me.

As for Jones and looking at that Warcraft footage I don't know if that is indicative if he would do a SW film justice. But no doubts he has talent, I loved his other films.

Last edited:
UoMjOY0.gif

Well, it was either him or Brad Bird. :oldrazz:

I don't think being "too Avatar" is a bad thing at all, considering that after 6 years, there hasn't been a film that looks that impressive when it comes to the cgi yet, i'm tired of seeing over-CGIed films like Hobbit too, but with some films, the Avatar style fits, i think Warcraft might be one of those. Jones seems to be trying to impress with Warcraft and delivering something truly "spectacular, if he succeeds or fails, i guess we're going to have to find out.

Regarding Jurassic World, i though it was very entertaining, the pacing made the film work for me, but i wasn't very impressed by the cgi or effects, i heard they used some pratical stuff for the film, but in the film i didn't realy notice it and wasn't realy impressed with the dinos.

I don't think being "too Avatar" is a bad thing at all, considering that after 6 years, there hasn't been a film that looks that impressive when it comes to the cgi yet, i'm tired of seeing over-CGIed films like Hobbit too, but with some films, the Avatar style fits, i think Warcraft might be one of those. Jones seems to be trying to impress with Warcraft and delivering something truly "spectacular, if he succeeds or fails, i guess we're going to have to find out.

Regarding Jurassic World, i though it was very entertaining, the pacing made the film work for me, but i wasn't very impressed by the cgi or effects, i heard they used some pratical stuff for the film, but in the film i didn't realy notice it and wasn't realy impressed with the dinos.

I don't think Avatar fit Avatar. Haha. But yeah some of the things in JW looked great some did not. The worst part for me was the characters. Pratt brought enough to make it somewhat enjoyable, but the characters were pretty 2D. That's why I'm glad that Colin is not writing IX. But I too have hope for WarCraft, I played all the games when they came out. And I do like Jones a lot. Moon was one of my favorite films in 09.

Then you're probably a bigger Warcraft fan than me, only played a bit of I, III and World, though i do warn you that if you didn't like the way Avatar's world wa portrayed, Warcraft seems to be heading that direction. While Avatar had problems, i don't think the style was one of them, Pandora was truly brought to life and gave an unique experience on the big screen.

Trevorrow is probably going to work with a better script this time though, the Lucasfilm story group definitely doesn't want the new film to be sub-par. Are Abrams and Rian Johnson going to write the script for Episode IX too? I believe Johnson is, but i'm not sure about Abrams.

Then you're probably a bigger Warcraft fan than me, only played a bit of I, III and World, though i do warn you that if you didn't like the way Avatar's world wa portrayed, Warcraft seems to be heading that direction. While Avatar had problems, i don't think the style was one of them, Pandora was truly brought to life and gave an unique experience on the big screen.

Trevorrow is probably going to work with a better script this time though, the Lucasfilm story group definitely doesn't want the new film to be sub-par. Are Abrams and Rian Johnson going to write the script for Episode IX too? I believe Johnson is, but i'm not sure about Abrams.

Well as always I go in with an open mind. So I am interested to see Warcraft.

Remember when the initial report in 2014 came out about Rian it said he was going to write the treatment for IX. Though that was never officially announced. However in Entertainment Weekly it did say that JJ will be kind of like the Godfather of the entire trilogy, kind of like George in the OT. But they have not announced who is writing IX yet.

The thing with Trevorrow is that he knows how to put a film together and make it entertaining, but he's not exactly the type of guy that will blow people away. He'll do fine, but i kind of hoped for a more insipired choice like Duncan Jones, Alfonso Cuaron or Matt Reeves.

If they wanted a safe choice, i kinda wish they had gone with Brad Bird, i think his style would fit Star Wars like a glove.

I've wanted Bird and Cuaron from the get go but you can't have everything.

It's probably better they don't get seasoned auteurs to direct these things because you cannot stray too far off the beaten path with the Star Wars series. You try and do "your own thing" you'll be out on your ass so quick.

It's probably better they don't get seasoned auteurs to direct these things because you cannot stray too far off the beaten path with the Star Wars series. You try and do "your own thing" you'll be out on your ass so quick.

I think that's what the Anthologies are for.

Anyway, wasn't there talk about Rian at least writing IX? I think that would work out fine.

Honestly, my first reaction was disappointment. I loved JW - my favourite movie of the year so far - but damn it if that was a heavily, heavily flawed movie. But... SNG was awesome, and JW got a LOT right. Hopefully with Johnson writing and Trevorrow havong gone through some teething pains with JW in regards to direction, characters, SFX... hopefully he's in a great position to knock IX out of the park. Fingers crossed.

When it comes to SFX, hopefully he gets steered towards more practical effects. Jurassic World just looked too digital and had a weird sterile feeling.

I just hope he doesn't shoot the film in 2.20:1. I ****ing hate that aspect ratio!

What a bland and uninspired choice. Both his films have no discernable sense of style or voice.

JJ Abrams, Gareth Edwards, Rian Johnson, Lord & Miller, Colin Trevorrow. You can see who sticks out like a sore thumb in that list.

Are=dude love;32017067]What a bland and uninspired choice. Both his films have no discernable sense of style or voice.

JJ Abrams, Gareth Edwards, Rian Johnson, Lord & Miller, Colin Trevorrow. You can see who sticks out like a sore thumb in that list.[/QUOTE]

Yes the guys who directed the lego movie Are much more qualified then Collins lol

This awesome photo just got even better, by the way. :D

Capture1.PNG

What a bland and uninspired choice. Both his films have no discernable sense of style or voice.

JJ Abrams, Gareth Edwards, Rian Johnson, Lord & Miller, Colin Trevorrow. You can see who sticks out like a sore thumb in that list.

JJ Abrams is the only one that sticks out. He is the only one on that list who actually has a discernible style at this point and the only one who has proven himself beyond a doubt as a director and a director of sci-fi and fantasy.

Lord & Miller's experience doesn't extend beyond decent meta comedies. Rian Johnson didn't show any more sense of style in Looper than Colin showed in SNG and JW. And, no, anachronistic revolvers and funny looking cars and hover bikes does not count for much in the way of style. And Gareth Edwards has only made two monster movies: a small time indie monster docudrama, and an uninspiring underwhelming military movie that Godzilla made a cameo in.

Last edited:
People at first were hesitant about Edwards because of Godzilla. I would put Godzilla and JW in the same boat with just really poorly written characters. JW felt like a Jurassic Park film, I thought he did a good job with that. Star Wars will have quite a lot of guidelines to follow. JJ is setting the tone, the voice and style of these three films. So visually, the tactile approach, practical effects, you know LFL will continue that with VIII and IX. The story group has lots of say, also with who ever is writing the screenplay I'm sure will do much better than what was brought forth with JW.

I see where the hesitation is, I won't deny it. But this is far from a bad choice. I'm not saying it's the "safest" choice, but I think Kathy and the rest see the talent they want in him. They clearly seem to want quality over anything else with each of their projects.

Star Wars should have slight variations (especially with the Episodes) in voice/tone. But nothing too far out. Colin I think is up to that challenge however. I felt for the most part JW was visually well done. Again it was just the flat characters and silly ideas that put it back a few pegs for me. I think LFL is smart to let him direct and let someone else write. I'm actually interesting and reading about his next project the Book of Henry.

But Kathy and LFL are clearly making this a group effort. Not a Chris Nolan film where he writes, directs, produces and does everything. These are going back to the OT days of having lots of collaboration. Since they have not announced the writer for IX and it was rumored last year that Rian would write IX as well, that may still be the case.

Last edited:
People at first were hesitant about Edwards because of Godzilla. I would put Godzilla and JW in the same boat with just really poorly written characters. JW felt like a Jurassic Park film, I thought he did a good job with that. Star Wars will have quite a lot of guidelines to follow. JJ is setting the tone, the voice and style of these three films. So visually, the tactile approach, practical effects, you know LFL will continue that with VIII and IX. The story group has lots of say, also with who ever is writing the screenplay I'm sure will do much better than what was brought forth with JW.

I see where the hesitation is, I won't deny it. But this is far from a bad choice. I'm not saying it's the "safest" choice, but I think Kathy and the rest see the talent they want in him. They clearly seem to want quality over anything else with each of their projects.

Star Wars should have slight variations (especially with the Episodes) in voice/tone. But nothing too far out. Colin I think is up to that challenge however. I felt for the most part JW was visually well done. Again it was just the flat characters and silly ideas that put it back a few pegs for me. I think LFL is smart to let him direct and let someone else write. I'm actually interesting and reading about his next project the Book of Henry.

But Kathy and LFL are clearly making this a group effort. Not a Chris Nolan film where he writes, directs, produces and does everything. These are going back to the OT days of having lots of collaboration. Since they have not announced the writer for IX and it was rumored last year that Rian would write IX as well, that may still be the case.

Great post man i agree.

But, I would also say there is a difference of expectations when it comes to the Anthologies(spin offs) vs the Saga (episodes) movies.

I want the sequel trilogy to be a personal fave and the anthologies to scratch an itch.

Apples and oranges.

Look at Favrau (sp?). When the game was on the line he hit a home run.

Colin knows this is one of the biggest films of the 21st century.

He's not dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"