The Dark Knight Rises Concerns about TDKR

Lastly, David Goyer is the main writer. And the not the Nolan brothers.

But David writes Batman better than anyone. Sucks @ villians though

Wait, I was under the impression that Jonah wrote the first draft and all other drafts were being handled by Christopher Nolan. I thought Goyer just worked on the story (like he did with TDK).

If Goyer is the main writer on Rises then yeah, that's my biggest fear.

Christopher Nolan and David Goyer came up with the story.

Jonah Nolan wrote the screenplay.

Christopher Nolan is revising the screenplay.

We barely have any information on the plot or the characters. And on top of that, we've already been given two fantastic films. Why would I be worried or have any fears? Nolan knows what he's doing and with as little info that we have, I don't understand why so many people feel the need to criticize a film that they know nothing about. :doh:

Criticizing would be faulting aspects. The thread is about expressing fears over what we know and what can come to be. As oppose to walking into a non-franchise/canon/long history film, it's fair to go into "TDKR" with some concerns based on what we know and are hearing is in the pipeline.

Also, we've all been given Crane's fear gas :csad:

Don't really have any fears, just don't like the rumored plot pieces being thrown around.

I'm worried about the film having too many characters like many other threequels. Nolan handled Dent, Joker and Batman fine in TDK, so I have faith he can do well with Catwoman, Bane and Batman. However, if the rumors of another female lead are true, I think we may be getting too many characters. I'm also not that excited about Anne as Catwoman or Catwoman in general. I would have preferred just Selina.

Christopher Nolan and David Goyer came up with the story.

Jonah Nolan wrote the screenplay.

Christopher Nolan is revising the screenplay.
As it should be.

The only concerns I have are hypothetical ones, since we don't know much and the majority of what we're going on is speculation. Mainly it has to do with Talia and the League of Shadows being in it, simply because I'm not all that interested in seeing them, and because I feel including Talia as a love interest could detract from Catwoman as a character.

Other then the two concerns I mentioned before, I guess I'm also worried that this film will contain the preachy monologues and long-winded exposition that seem to have become staples in Nolan's films.

^Oh, I love those parts. Preachy, but done very well, imo (and the long-winded expos were very much toned down in TDK).

They certainly were, but I think they could stand to be toned down a little bit more.

Also, enough with the stupid one-liners, and the moronic characters that accompany them. That wise-ass SWAT guy was the worst. If Nolan had cut him out entirely, I am convinced that TDK would have cleaned house at the Academy Awards - winning in every single category.

Last edited:
It depends a lot on the character and actor delivering the lines. It worked wonders when Liam Neeson was lecturing Bruce as Ra's, not so much when Katie Holmes was doing it. As far as TDK goes, I think there was an almost theatrical, Shakespearean quality to it, that many of the characters in the story were representative of certain ideas and communicated then.

My single, biggest concern about TDKR is that the film won't have enough cowbell. Let's be honest, there's not enough films that feature the cowbell.

Oh and I just want the look and feel of Gotham to mesh with the past two films, since they are switching up locations this time around. Continuity is key.

They certainly were, but I think they could stand to be toned down a little bit more.

Also, enough with the stupid one-liners, and the moronic characters that accompany them. That wise-ass SWAT guy was the worst. If Nolan had cut him out entirely, I am convinced that TDK would have cleaned house at the Academy Awards - winning in every single category.

OK that's NOT good!

Yeah that guy sort of bugs me too. Also not a big fan of "Nice coat" and "I gotta get me one of those."

Oh, I agree about him.

1) I have zero interest in Talia al Ghul, and the League of Shadows returning. Talia is alot like Harley Quinn for me. She's a complimentary character. When she's with Ra's, she's fine (like Harley with The Joker). But on her own? No thank you.

2) I don't want Bane to be a henchman.

I agree with both points. The last one is especially lame.

Maybe I just take movies too seriously (I know. WhY sO SeRiOuS lolololol!!!), but stupid **** like the SWAT guy just annoys the hell out of me.

There's this awesome chase scene, with a semi truck running down SWAT vans and The Joker blasting cars with a bazooka, and we have this obnoxious ass of a character mouthing off and ruining the tension and mood of the scene.

A cop is making jokes about other cops dying. Is this scene supposed to be funny, then? Why am I not laughing? Where am I?

I get the whole "breaking the tension" reasoning, but Nolan has a tendency to pick the most inappropriate times to do so. The first time I saw TDK, I was rolling my eyes half the time during the chase scene. That's a red flag, because I'm sure that scene was meant to be thrilling and tense, not annoying.

I appreciate humor when it's subtle, properly placed, and not dumbed down to the level of a second grader.

I'm not saying these films shouldn't have humor and breaks in tension. But there must be better options than wise-ass SWAT guys, homeless men eyeing Batman's ride, and kids blowing up cars with their hands.

Last edited:

Maybe I just take movies too seriously (I know. WhY sO SeRiOuS lolololol!!!), but stupid **** like the SWAT guy just annoys the hell out of me.

There's this awesome chase scene, with a semi truck running down SWAT vans and The Joker blasting cars with a bazooka, and we have this obnoxious ass of a character mouthing off and ruining the tension and mood of the scene.

A cop is making jokes about other cops dying. Is this scene supposed to be funny, then? Why am I not laughing? Where am I?

I get the whole "breaking the tension" reasoning, but Nolan has a tendency to pick the most inappropriate times to do so. The first time I saw TDK, I was rolling my eyes half the time during the chase scene. That's a red flag, because I'm sure that scene was meant to amaze, not annoy. In fact, I'd argue that the "breaks in tension" made me even more tense.

I appreciate smart humor. But wise-ass SWAT guys, homeless men, and kids blowing up cars with their hands? I'll pass.

100% Agree.

I was on the edge of my seat for most of the DK chase scene, then "Okay thats NOT good" hits and I was like......really???. Completely took away from the scene.

I agree. I've said it often, but that SWAT guy was easily the worst part of the movie for me. The actor was hamming it up big time, and judging by his lines, he was probably encouraged to.

"I didn't sign up for this!" ...You're on a SWAT team, genius. :facepalm:

My single, biggest concern about TDKR is that the film won't have enough cowbell. Let's be honest, there's not enough films that feature the cowbell.

Oh and I just want the look and feel of Gotham to mesh with the past two films, since they are switching up locations this time around. Continuity is key.

I've got Dark Knight fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.

I agree. I've said it often, but that SWAT guy was easily the worst part of the movie for me. The actor was hamming it up big time, and judging by his lines, he was probably encouraged to.

"I didn't sign up for this!" ...You're on a SWAT team, genius. :facepalm:

I think he's friends with Nolan, he had some other cheesy jokes in Insomnia. :down

I'll admit, I chuckled when the guy had his side-mirror knocked off by the Batpod. It was a small moment that didn't call attention to itself, and wasn't over-the-top. I think that and The Joker laughing at the clown getting tazed by Batman's mask were enough tension breakers for the chase scene. And then the scene ultimately resolved with a healthy sampling of Gordon badassery.

The SWAT guy should've gone.
The kids shooting cars should've gone.

The SWAT guy reminds me of Jon Favreau. Somehow he's a bit goofy like him.

The bit with the kids was literally less than a minute long; I didn't mind it. Nicky Katt as the SWAT passenger was too distracting though, but not so much to ruin the scene (or anything) for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"