Confused About Nick Fury

Shazam

Sidekick
Reaction score
I just read "Point One".

Is the 616 Fury a black man now?

Is Point One in the "Ultimate Universe?

But at the same time I'm reading Winter Soldier, and the original Fury is still around?? The Widow just shot him.

So what's the deal??

I don't know about point one but since the Marvel movies came out Black Nick Fury has shown up in 616 as Nicks son who just happens to look identical to the Ultimate/Movie Samuel L Jackson version.

I'm just curious what they'll have Spider-man do if he meets him as he's met Ultimate Fury in the Spider-men mini.

The deal is that Marvel has become ****es to their own movies.

The reasoning is that if they can get 10k+ new readers due to swapping everything around like avengers is then they'll do that if they want.

I just read "Point One".

Is the 616 Fury a black man now?

Is Point One in the "Ultimate Universe?

But at the same time I'm reading Winter Soldier, and the original Fury is still around?? The Widow just shot him.

So what's the deal??

The deal was explained in the mini series BATTLE SCARS, launched at the end of FEAR ITSELF and not promoted well at all.

The gist is that we learn that Nick Fury had a son during his CIA/FBI days but kept his son's identity a secret from everyone for his own safety. However, when the secret is leaked by Nick's HYDRA enemies, the son's seemingly mundane life of being a bad ass soldier alongside his buddy "Cheese" gets turned upside down as his mother is killed and he's suddenly fighting against types like Taskmaster, Deadpool, and the Serpent Society. Being Nick Fury's son meant he has some of the "infinity formula" in him, which essentially gives him Hollywood action star abilities like shrugging off injuries when convenient or being able to fight well. Over the course of the adventure he loses his hair and eye. "Cheese" ends up being agent Phil Coulson and Nick Fury "Jr." now assumes a role at SHIELD.

The original Nick Fury seems to be exclusively tied to James "Bucky" Barnes business in WINTER SOLDIER, and is still alive.

So the long and short of it is that Nick Fury Jr. is the "movie style" dude and the original Nick Fury is still around, but in a much muted role since his reputation has been mangled over the years due to a lot of dubious decisions. BATTLE SCARS was Marvel's attempt to make their universe more like the film; had they promoted it THAT, maybe it'd have sold within the Top 100. Instead it sank like a stone because retailers weren't going to bite on vague hints, and now we have a lot of confused readers.

I had never even heard of Battle Scars until like issue 5 was coming out and they started promoting the **** out of it because OMG it's Samuel L Jackson!

Disappointing, because after hearing about it toward the end of its run, I found it to be enjoyable. Sheesh, Marvel needs to get its head in order for what they want to promote and when; you can't build hype for the 5th issue in a 5 issue series.

The deal was explained in the mini series BATTLE SCARS, launched at the end of FEAR ITSELF and not promoted well at all.

The gist is that we learn that Nick Fury had a son during his CIA/FBI days but kept his son's identity a secret from everyone for his own safety. However, when the secret is leaked by Nick's HYDRA enemies, the son's seemingly mundane life of being a bad ass soldier alongside his buddy "Cheese" gets turned upside down as his mother is killed and he's suddenly fighting against types like Taskmaster, Deadpool, and the Serpent Society. Being Nick Fury's son meant he has some of the "infinity formula" in him, which essentially gives him Hollywood action star abilities like shrugging off injuries when convenient or being able to fight well. Over the course of the adventure he loses his hair and eye. "Cheese" ends up being agent Phil Coulson and Nick Fury "Jr." now assumes a role at SHIELD.

The original Nick Fury seems to be exclusively tied to James "Bucky" Barnes business in WINTER SOLDIER, and is still alive.

So the long and short of it is that Nick Fury Jr. is the "movie style" dude and the original Nick Fury is still around, but in a much muted role since his reputation has been mangled over the years due to a lot of dubious decisions. BATTLE SCARS was Marvel's attempt to make their universe more like the film; had they promoted it THAT, maybe it'd have sold within the Top 100. Instead it sank like a stone because retailers weren't going to bite on vague hints, and now we have a lot of confused readers.

Thanks much for that Dread.....that cleared it right up.

I hate that Marvel feels the need to to drag their books into the film world. But the mighty dollar speaketh!

Battle Scars wasnt horrible..problem is Point 1 makes it seem like hey we now have Black Nick Fury and its like he's the Original and the other never existed. Poor execution and too fast.

What should they have done? Had Black Fury reference the original at every turn? The original's underground at this point too, hence why he's working with the also-underground Bucky in The Winter Soldier, so no one's really concerned with his whereabouts or activities anyway. He's off the radar.

Battle Scars wasnt horrible..problem is Point 1 makes it seem like hey we now have Black Nick Fury and its like he's the Original and the other never existed. Poor execution and too fast.

Agreed

What should they have done? Had Black Fury reference the original at every turn? The original's underground at this point too, hence why he's working with the also-underground Bucky in The Winter Soldier, so no one's really concerned with his whereabouts or activities anyway. He's off the radar.

Or as I like to call him, future cannon fodder in the next big event. :o

Conveniently off the radar so that they can push this Samuel L Jackson version.....to satisfy the Marvel movie crowd.

Not good enuff that he's a star in the Ultimate Comics Line. Will we find out later that the Ultimate Fury has a "white" son with an eye patch, too?

This all just seems unnecessary and very contrived....that's all.

Every explanation in comics is contrived, though. That's why you got a bunch of alternate dimensions and crap to explain where it was that they all turned into zombies or whatever, because heaven forbid it just be explained as a "what if?" scenario and not an actual physical alternate universe that ends up getting crossed with the regular one at various points.

I mean it gave us regular Deadpool teaming up with zombie Deadpool's head so it ended up doing some good things, but it's still baffling that there has to be a convoluted explanation for why Nick Fury is black now instead of just, "Well, we felt like making him black in this iteration."

I mean, yeah, of course it's contrived because it's a blatant attempt to bring the comics more in line with the movies. We all know that. But Black Fury as a character hasn't really been fleshed out at all, so I don't think it's fair to write him off just because he's the result of a marketing ploy. I'm kind of curious to see how he and Coulson wind up leading SHIELD, since Maria Hill is still the director right now.

Conveniently off the radar so that they can push this Samuel L Jackson version.....to satisfy the Marvel movie crowd.

Not good enuff that he's a star in the Ultimate Comics Line. Will we find out later that the Ultimate Fury has a "white" son with an eye patch, too?

You can always get your white Fury fix with Ennis' FuryMAX series currently going on. It comes off a 2 month break the first week of December. You still buy the first 6 issues.

Not connected to 616 at all, but its been pretty great.

I mean, yeah, of course it's contrived because it's a blatant attempt to bring the comics more in line with the movies. We all know that. But Black Fury as a character hasn't really been fleshed out at all, so I don't think it's fair to write him off just because he's the result of a marketing ploy. I'm kind of curious to see how he and Coulson wind up leading SHIELD, since Maria Hill is still the director right now.

I guess I mean, "forced" instead of seeming to follow naturally from an event or storyline.

I'd love to see the old "Hawkeye" back again. But they changed him too.

..OR they can write a similar story of Ultimate Nick Fury by pointing out that he wasn't the original Fury and that, instead of making him his dad, that it's a line of Agent Furys (kinda like the idea behind Borne of the bad guy from the A-Team), the preceding and/or next one, being white.

Too late, they already went the kid route. Plus you would also have to ignore all the Fury siblings.

..OR they can write a similar story of Ultimate Nick Fury by pointing out that he wasn't the original Fury and that, instead of making him his dad, that it's a line of Agent Furys (kinda like the idea behind Borne of the bad guy from the A-Team), the preceding and/or next one, being white.

LOL!!
Be careful ...they just might do it

Original Nick Fury hasn't gone completely has he?

..and the LMD Fury was a huge part of Secret Avengers..his quick death after being hyped up since the books start smacked of being rushed. (and poor planning) ..and to tell you the truth I actually found LMD Fury interesting. He gets whacked and I'm like "crap there was no plan" (which i actually thought on the arc before when i was like I doubt this was the plan"

Have him disappear from comics for a year or so..and at least portray the new Fury as what he is...a new guy who probably shouldnt act as confident as he is.

Make it a new character and not a retcon. Right now its a new char who is masquerading as a retcon.

Honestly ..wouldnt it make more sense to stick anglo fury in space than stark who will certainly be zipping back and forth to the crab nebula like it was a weekend in Vermont.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"