Civil War Daniel Bruhl Joins the Cast as Baron Zemo!

Really? I did not know that. Learn something new every day.

The 80s GI Joe began as a pitch to Marvel by Larry Hama called Fury Force, which was about a special SHIELD task force taking on Hydra led by Baron Zemo. That was rejected, so he tweaked the idea and it became Hasbro's GI Joe: A Real American Hero.

It isn't just Cobra Commander. Destro is based on Red Skull and Baroness is based on Lady Viper.

Bingo! If he doesn't become more of a factor in the overall MCU, I'll think less of him as a character, even if he still worked well in Civil War. It's not that he will have been a bad villain. He just will have been yet another one and done.

If he DOES become more of a factor and evolve into the classic Baron Zemo, then his character just got infinitely more interesting. Maybe he's someone who didn't set out to be some big villain at first but his increasing hate for the Avengers drives him to become something more. Remember, he expected to just carry out his plan and then take his life. Now he's alive and when the Avengers inevitably team up again in Infinity War, it will mean his plan failed AND he just has to sit and watch.

T'Challa Said "The living are not done with you." Hopefully that makes him realize, neither is he, and he strives to become even more! I want to see him form the Masters of Evil in the next phase, personally.

The 80s GI Joe began as a pitch to Marvel by Larry Hama called Fury Force, which was about a special SHIELD task force taking on Hydra led by Baron Zemo. That was rejected, so he tweaked the idea and it became Hasbro's GI Joe: A Real American Hero.

It isn't just Cobra Commander. Destro is based on Red Skull and Baroness is based on Lady Viper.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Yeah. The plan didn't require Cap/Bucky/Iron Man going to the base at all. Once Zemo got what he wanted there, he could have easily simply released the footage and got what he wanted. Cap/Bucky/Iron Man going to the base is simply for the sake of cinematic convenience so that they can all be in the same place when the reveal is made. It saves wasting a bunch of time on Iron Man hunting Bucky down and Panther hunting Zemo down at a point when the movie should be at its climax.

It is already the longest movie in the MCU, is it not?

Actually it did. Zemo's plan required Tony to act in the heat of the moment in a confined space. If he just released the footage as soon as he got it, it would have given Tony a chance to calm down and let cooler heads prevail.

Yeah. The plan didn't require Cap/Bucky/Iron Man going to the base at all. Once Zemo got what he wanted there, he could have easily simply released the footage and got what he wanted. Cap/Bucky/Iron Man going to the base is simply for the sake of cinematic convenience so that they can all be in the same place when the reveal is made. It saves wasting a bunch of time on Iron Man hunting Bucky down and Panther hunting Zemo down at a point when the movie should be at its climax.

It is already the longest movie in the MCU, is it not?

That and it puts IM in a confined space where Cap + TWS can battle him on a "level" playing field. It produced an amazing on screen spectacle, IMO.

So were those just recordings of his wife he was listening to on his phone?

Yeah. It was a powerful thing for him to delete them.

So anyone else feel like Zemo bears an uncanny resemblance to Tobey Maguire?

People keep saying Zemo's plan is a lot of luck.

No one else remembers him saying he's studied him? Which would lead one to believe each movement of his was carefully planned and took their characters as people into account?

If Zemo's Plan A worked (getting the Hydra commander to talk), nobody would even know who Zemo was. Now obviously some luck was involved, such as nobody recognizing that he wasn't the real psychologist, but it didn't rely on borderline precognition like a lot of movie villain plots.

He was a remarkably grounded villain.

Yea, there was a little luck. But I so often am seeing people make it out like his whole plan was based on luck I felt saying something was necessary.

On another note, what's some suggested reading fo Zemo? I really only know him from EMH and the movie.

Yea, there was a little luck. But I so often am seeing people make it out like his whole plan was based on luck I felt saying something was necessary.

On another note, what's some suggested reading fo Zemo? I really only know him from EMH and the movie.

from my understanding, the movie's version of zemo has barely anything to do with the comics so not sure if you really wanna bother reading up on him.

I know that there's very little in common between them. I thought he was great on EMH and would still like to read whatever long time fans have to suggest.

I know that there's very little in common between them. I thought he was great on EMH and would still like to read whatever long time fans have to suggest.

The original Masters of Evil storyline (the Helmut Zemo version) starts around Avengers Vol 1 #273.

My favorite is the original run of Thunderbolts. Zemo is the original leader of the team, and pops in and out of the series until he leaves for good in #108. The first dozen issues in particular shows Zemo at his best.

If you want to see really early Zemo, he made his debut in Captain America Vol 1 #168 where he goes after Captain America to avenge his father.

Last edited:

In addition to his role in Thunderbolts, there's also a mini series set after his final appearance in the original run called Thunderbolts Presents: "Baron Zemo-Born Better." That explored Zemo's morality quite a bit.

I could also see ross will probably making him the leader of thunderbolts in phase 4 after the avengers were reformed as a match for them

I think they accomplished a lot with Zemo given so many are thinking of ways to bring the character back in future films. I think you for sure could do something with him reemerging from prison in some wat to lead a Thunderbolts team of somekind.

I like the MCU version of Zemo.

Truth be told, the comic version is essentially a poor man's Red Skull.

This Zemo still does what the comic version is famous for and that's being a puppet master. He comes up with grand plans and then manipulates people to enact them.

That and he has the hatred for Captain America.

i didnt sense much of anything from zemo, he wasnt in the movie enough for me to care about him. His hatred seemed more towards the avengers and not necessarily Cap alone. If anything his hatred shouldve been more geared towards Stark than any of the other avengers.

I think they accomplished a lot with Zemo given so many are thinking of ways to bring the character back in future films. I think you for sure could do something with him reemerging from prison in some wat to lead a Thunderbolts team of somekind.

I wonder what they might do with him next. It would seem out of character for him to start wearing a purple mask and leading a team of bad guys should he escape from prison. But... he is a former soldier so they could go that route with him. But I think he works better as a manipulator.

I wonder what they might do with him next. It would seem out of character for him to start wearing a purple mask and leading a team of bad guys should he escape from prison. But... he is a former soldier so they could go that route with him. But I think he works better as a manipulator.

He started wearing the classic Zemo mask (similar to what his father wore) because he ended up horribly disfigured after his first appearance, where he had a different look.

Here's the thing... These characters, especially the villains have some blind spot, some tragic flaw often and that's okay. I think you could go forward with MCU Zemo in way wich has him as a full on super villain and it would work BECAUSE it would contradict his supposed righteous stance on super humans in the world. He could work with a TBOLTS team and not think once of the hypocracy until a hero points it out. Or... He could want to prove how reckless the Avengers are by indeed trying to best them at their own game and lead a team which is made up of "reformed" super humans. I think there are lots of ways to go with him if they so choose.

And... Zemo from TBOLTS is hardly a poor man's Red Skull.

Yet a lot of posters keep referencing wanting to see something of Zemo from his TBOLTS days going forward with the character in the MCU and none are describing such a thing in terms of motivations at all similar to the Skull. Seems as though the Zemo of well over a decade in the comics is the one they are thinking of and not the one that premiered in the 1960's.

Yet a lot of posters keep referencing wanting to see something of Zemo from his TBOLTS days going forward with the character in the MCU and none are describing such a thing in terms of motivations at all similar to the Skull. Seems as though the Zemo of well over a decade in the comics is the one they are thinking of and not the one that premiered in the 1960's.

The Zemo from the 60s was the current/MCU's Zemo's father. HELMUT Zemo made his debut in a one-shot in 1973 as the character Phoenix, and then didn't return in his current form until 1982.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"