DC/Marvel Hero Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with a *****tastic name like Lightning Lad, Garth walks away with a very clear 8-5 victory over the 2nd class Summers brother.

bluebeetle.jpg

Blue Beetle

VS

darkhawk.jpg

Darkhawk

Versatility matters almost as much as Power in this match, and each guy's ability to react to an attack.

1-1 TIE

Darkhawk seems more level headed and less likely to lose control of a battle, while Jaime, when he does mess up, could always just let the suit go on cruise control and do all the work. Honestly, I think they're both evenly matched, so I'll have to think this one over, though out of favoritism, I may pick BB.

I think Darkhawk has more versatility to him, because of Jaime...

Blue Beetle is powerful as hell, but Jaime wouldn't be willing to win at all costs, which works against him. Add that to the fact that if the scarab retracts back into Jaime's spine he's going to be completely vulnerable whilst undergoing the agony...

Blue Beetle wouldn't be able to hack Darkhawk... at least not while Jaime's in control.

I'll say Darkhawk wins 6-7 times out of ten with Blue Beetle's wins coming when Jaime's just letting the suit do the work and pulling it back from killing.

So Darkhawk.

This is a good fight. Darkhawk is definitely the better overall combatant I believe, but still yet I think that Jamie let's the suit take control and smushes Darkhawk.

This really is a good bout, both of these guys have ALOT of different avenues to use their powers and the variety to make it really difficult to predict. Jamie's got quite a powerful suit, but even with this current seasoning, he lacks the edge you'd give in experience, whereas Darkhak is a very tactical guy who's fight alot of tough guys and figured out ways to win when they had more raw power.

On the other hand, the Scarab itself does have a window for victory here, even then it won't be easy. Unfortunately, Jamie tends to wrestle with the suit and he just CAN'T afford that in this match. I can't say he won't fight it because he will. BB's going to need everything he's got to win this match as it is and indecision is going to get him killed.

Jamie costs the Scarab the match here.

Darkhawk

5-2 Darkhawk

As of right this moment? Blue Beetle wins. Even considering that Jaime has to wrestle with the Scarab sometimes, he's still about hundred times more compatible with it -- and that's the generous estimate -- than Chris is with his suit right now. Chris just barely survived having the suit forcibly overtake his mind! He'll be lucky if he can figure out how to make the suit do anything special within the next issue.

And Jaime isn't wrestling with the Scarab because he can't get it to work. He's wrestling with it because it's working too well, because it really, really wants to be as powerful as it can be. That may be a liability for Jaime's own scruples, but it's nothing but utterly dangerous for Jaime's enemies.

Last edited:
Currently, Jaime has "tamed" the Scarab so it's a little more human and probably less violent. It has more self-control, and Jaime has more control of it. So, I'm sure Jaime will be running the suit more then ever before, and the suit, even when it does take control, will now be less likely to go overkill.

Darkhawk.

It's so sad that everyone looks at a hero who refuses to kill and thinks of it as a failure. Blue Beetle takes this with ease. You don't have to kill someone to beat them, and last time I checked, Chris wasn't anymore willing to kill people than Jaime is. So the teamwork of the scarab and Jaime beat Chris' anger issues and heavily resistant alien armor for me.

Chris is going to have a little physical therapy with Jamie's face.

Realistically, Chris has nearly as wide an array of abilities and ways to use them as Jamie and yes, he IS more ruthless and willing to sink lower to get a victory. AND he's by far more seasoned, he knows most of the tricks in the book. A good shot from Darkhawk can drop the Beetle just as easily as Jamie could him.

Jamie's close but not close enough.

6-4 Darkhawk

Right, 'cause it's not like Jaime's been facing people who are ruthless enough to want to kill him for over a year (comic-time) now. That's why this "edge" argument doesn't make sense to me. Pit two heroes against each other and everyone goes, "Well, this guy's willing to kill the other guy so he wins." But doesn't that sort of neglect the fact that both heroes face people who want to kill them all the time? I've seen people say the Punisher would beat Spider-Man because the former is willing to kill, even. Spider-Man faces gun-toting murderers every other day! :huh:

So ruthlessness with heroes is a moot point to me. It counts for absolutely nothing in a fight.

Right, 'cause it's not like Jaime's been facing people who are ruthless enough to want to kill him for over a year (comic-time) now. That's why this "edge" argument doesn't make sense to me. Pit two heroes against each other and everyone goes, "Well, this guy's willing to kill the other guy so he wins." But doesn't that sort of neglect the fact that both heroes face people who want to kill them all the time? I've seen people say the Punisher would beat Spider-Man because the former is willing to kill, even. Spider-Man faces gun-toting murderers every other day! :huh:

So ruthlessness with heroes is a moot point to me. It counts for absolutely nothing in a fight.

Corp, you've completely overstated something again.

I don't know about everyone else, but when I consider ruthless guys, it's an edge, it's A factor, just like you'd rate experience or intelligence. Alo of guys can defeat others with more experience and they probably face experienced criminals everyday but that category is never put under this type of spotlight.

When you've got 2 characters that for all intents and purposes seem pretty evenly matched, whoever has an edge over the other, usually gets the vote because of how close it is. So, as in this case, being ruthless goes from being a factor to THE factor, just as you would in any other area (If one was vastly smarter or faster, ect.).

In terms you might find more sensible, you have 2 guys that are pretty evenly matched in hand to hand skill but one of them is willing and is known to pull dirty tricks to get the victory and the other guy's more Captain America-ish (straight edge, mostly fair fighter) I'd give the guy that's going to use a smoke bomb or blind the other guy te win.

Nothing personal against the character.

6-5 Darkhawk

But the thing is, Captain America wins. Captain America is prepared for shifty people to use shifty tactics. Just because most heroes don't use lethal tactics doesn't mean that they aren't prepared to handle others who do, y'know? "By the gods, a bullet came out of his gun somehow! What shall I do??"

But the thing is, Captain America wins. Captain America is prepared for shifty people to use shifty tactics. Just because most heroes don't use lethal tactics doesn't mean that they aren't prepared to handle others who do, y'know? "By the gods, a bullet came out of his gun somehow! What shall I do??"

Yessah! I totally agree with this statement...

Yeah. Someone trying to blind Cap with a smoke grenade will likely find that Cap saw it coming and knocks them on their ass.

I'll toss a vote to Jamie.

I will choose Darkhawk purely because I dislike the Blue Beetle alien tech angle.

Huh, wha?

Who said anything about lethal tactics? I was talking about guys like Darkhawk who tend to fight dirty, as he did before he ever had the suit. That's what that entire post was about.

Man, I posted all that for nothing.:o

As for Cap, Red Skull has managed to live so long because of the fact that he plays very dirty and tends to catch Cap flat footed. Cap's prepared for most of anything and yet a guy that's inferior in nearly every other category (Aside fom intelligence) has slipped through the cracks because he's a wily bastard. THAT'S what I'm talking about. That and Cap's unwilling to end this permanently, since lethal tactics was thrown in there.

Morals can get your ass handed to you.

6-6 TIE

I agree.

Look at this scenario.

Two guys are perfectly even matched. Across the entire field. Even matched. One is willing to hit a guy when he's down and the other isn't. That's what will be the difference, because as has been stated in every other way they're evenly matched. By pure definition I don't think there's any way to argue against that.

Exactly. It's a clear advantage, I don't know why people try and deny it.

In any case, as everyone can see, we're tied so I went and got a judge that's about as impartial as you can get on the Hype to break the deadlock:

Dread said:
I've tried to avoid Vs. topics. But I'm usually nice to PM'ers.

That is a good match. Both of them are empowered by alien armor battle-suit things. Right now Chris Powell/Darkhawk is learning all sorts of things about his amulet and armor, so there is no telling what his power level is. In ASCENSION #4, he'll be taking on Gladiator and the Starjammers, so it will be a good idea of his new power level.

Barring that, though, I would give Jaime the nod on pure power with the Scarab, while Chris probably has more overall experience, with or without his emotional issues. Honestly the Amulet is too much of a blank slate now to really judge it fairly. Darkhawk is likely getting a bit of an upgrade. That said, Jaime probably is better mix of pure power and level headedness right now, so I do think he could edge out a win. Chris has been more willing to kill opponents in the past, but it really doesn't matter in the end, and he often tries to avoid it anyway. Jaimie's Scarab seems able to adapt to opponents on the fly and for all we know could manage a way to especially hurt the Raptor armor. At best Darkhawk just reconfigures bigger guns. I'd give the edge to Beetle.

And so, with better reasons than any of you bastards, the final vote goes in Jamie's favor.

The Scarab, with Jamie in tow, manage to crawl away from a dead heat contest of high powered tech, with a slim 7-6 victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"