Official Contest of Marvels II Discussion Thread

As nobody else has requested him, go ahead and debate against Weigeabo with Maestro.

I'll try and get my opening argument up tomorrow. I'm going to combine some stuff from my old home computer to the work computer, and I should finally be able to be able to look at my many discs of comics at work.

Probably won't get mine up until tomorrow. Started it today, but got too busy.

I will try and get mine up tomorrow for Maestro as I am bogged down in conference calls and meetings all day.

It's great to see Maestro and Exodus get debated.

I finished reading The Hedge Knight trade paperback and The Hedge Knight II, issues 1-3, and was blown away by how great George R.R. Martin's story was in its character development and simplistic storytelling. I went out last night and got "A Game Of Thrones," the first book in his A Song Of Ice And Fire series. Has anyone else read these books? I'm hoping they will be as good as Hedge Knight was.

Since everyone should be available to debate now, we'll have debates end on Friday. Next Tuesday, then, we should know the final two.

It's great to see Maestro and Exodus get debated.

I finished reading The Hedge Knight trade paperback and The Hedge Knight II, issues 1-3, and was blown away by how great George R.R. Martin's story was in its character development and simplistic storytelling. I went out last night and got "A Game Of Thrones," the first book in his A Song Of Ice And Fire series. Has anyone else read these books? I'm hoping they will be as good as Hedge Knight was.

I have read the books but if I were you, I would waight for the series to end before I started. The last book was a bit of filler and followed none of my favourite characters. We will see when the new one comes out where we are going to go.

By the time I get through all the books, it will probably be ended. So far, I'm only on page 58, and considering the four books currently out are each almost 1000 pages, it will take me forever to read them. Plus, I feel like I should keep a separate piece of paper nearby to remember who everyone is. Sooooo many characters, and they are all related or linked in some fashion, I wish they had a separate section just letting you read who's who and how they are connected. (Plus, each person seems to have various names: Eddard is mainly known as Ned, Daenerys is mainly known as Dany...plus, with Ned, you even have titles. Gads!)

My problem with reading novels is that I am the type of reader who gives his reading time to certain things exclusively. For example, am I going to read a book or my weekly comics? If I'm going to read my weekly comics, are they going to be a batch of DC comics or Marvel comics? If I read my Marvel comics, am I going to read a batch of Spiderman, Initiative, World War Hulk, Dabel Bros., X-Men???? Like, right now, I just read a bunch of DC comics to catch me up...problem is that my Marvel comics are getting a very large pile, over 100, in my new release box.

Add onto this that I have been wanting to write a story for a long, long time...but, every time I started, it just didn't feel right. I kept coming at the book from the wrong direction. So, I was reading a very funny book that recently came out, called I Love You, Beth Cooper, and it finally hit me that coming at the story sequentially was totally wrong...that I needed to focus the book on one week in my main character's life, and from there I can pop back to the past to give an indication of what events from his past made him who he currently is. I quickly typed out a couple pages, and everything felt so right...problem is that it's summer time, the kids are coming to work with me, we're finishing up the CoMII, and I can't not have all that and loose myself in the writing. So, for the time being, I'm lazily going through this book, devoting myself to my final character in the contest, and looking forward to 2 weeks from now when I start writing.

That is quite a bit to do in your spare time especially since you are married and have kids. I would struggle to do half of all that.

I tend to read quite rapidly myself and the comics I get is only by subscription or orders. And lets just say, I just now recieved the WWH:X-Men 2 comic so I don't get so many that I get back logged on them.

I just thought I'd get on here and brag a bit. I like my trade paperbacks, but with this whole binding thing I've started doing I realized that I need the individual issues moreso. So I found someone who had tons of comics but wanted trades, and so we started working a deal. To say the least, I made out BIG time in the deal. I traded him about 25 trades/hardcovers and I got over 700 comics in return. Now besides the numbers game, below are some of the comics that I got in the trade.

Green Arrow 1-10 (Quiver Arc)
90% of the Infinite Crisis storyline (crossovers and lead in's included)
Kingdom Come 1-4
1st Appearances of Gambit, Rogue, Jubilee, Bishop, Alpha Flight, and some others.
Days of Future Past part 2 (Uncanny X-Men 142)
Death of Jean Grey from the Dark Phoenix Saga
In general, about 80% of the X-Men comics from around 120 through the Age of Apocalypse
The ENTIRE Age of Apocalypse
About 75% of New Mutants, X-Factor, and X-Force
Amazing Spiderman 36 (WTC) and the first 7 issues of Straczynski's run.
All but 2 issues of New Avengers.
All but 3 issues of Astonishing X-Men (didn't get the first 3 issues)

And TONS of miscelanious X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers, etc.

After having to lose almost my entire collection, and now having so many of the comics back that I loved. I feel great!

I also now feel like a nice fella. I got the Kingdom Come comics for the sake of Alex Ross, as the story wasn't that great for me. There's a guy at work that I know LOVES the story (owns the trades and Absolute HC) and he's always wanted the original issues but could never find them or afford them when he does find them. So I told him to bring me one of his cheap trades and I'll give him the originals. I've never seen the guy smile so much in my life.

For those of you who remember my Spider-Man bindings. I plan on doing some more within the next few weeks. I'm debating on doing some of the following volumes.

Spiderman Volume 4-6 (All Spidey titles chronologicly from Maximum Carnage through just shy of the Clone Saga)
Fantastic Four Volume 1-4 (Around issue 354-416. Fantastic Force 1-18, some Namor, Atlantis Rising, and the main Onslaught story that involves the FF)
Darkhawk Vol. 1 (Issues 1-25. I wanted the annuals and guest stars, but it was too much and included Darkhawk too little)
Avengers Vol. 1-2 (Volume 1 is issue 343 through 350, including Operation Galactic Storm, Volume 2 is 351 through 375 which is the main Proctor storyline plus some)
The X-Universe Saga Vol. 1-6 (Every X-Title in chronological order from the 90's relaunch through Fatal Attractions)
Marvel 2099 Vol. 1-2 (Spidey, Doom, Ravage, Punisher, and X-Men from beginning through Fall of the Hammer in chronological order)

I'll be able to do somewhere between 4 and 7 volumes, but I'm not sure which ones I want to do yet. I have some holes to fill on most of these above, and there's some that I'm debating on how I want to do them, so I'm still figuring it out. I'm excited :)

Hi Guys,

I have voted and whatever the results it has been fun. Please note that I will be flying out Thursday to Los Angeles and will be between there and Las Vegas until the 14th of September. I doubt I will be spending much time in front of a computer screen during that time.

That's awesome, JH. Sounds like you got a steal. I love it when I get a great comic deal. This weekend, I drove 50 miles into Tacoma, and a comic shop was having a "September Clearance Event." I picked up a bunch of Batman-Gotham Knights and Batman-Legends of the Dark Knight comics I didn't have in my collection for only 50 cents each. I walked out with about 200 comics, I'd say. I can't wait to go back next week and see what he's added.

Plus, I'm on page 431 of that book I'm reading. George R.R. Martin tells such a great story, and even the little things are worth noting. (For example, I love the castle for House Arryn, set atop a mountain; especially, the fact that the dungeons aren't the normal type a person would envision. A prisoner can escape anytime, granted he wants to end his life. Built on the side of a mountain, the prison cells don't have a wall; but, opens up where the prisoner can fall off the mountain to his death. On top of that, the ground is slick and slanted...after a while, death is perferable to the insanity the cells cause.) I even went to Half Priced Books this weekend in hopes of getting the other three books cheap..but, they didn't have a single paperback by the author. They said his books don't last long on the shelves, as he's too popular.

I saw Halloween this weekend. The original is much better; but, it was kind of neat that Rob Zombie spent the first half of the movie explaining Michael Meyers childhood. The movie sure had more nudity than the original. For those of you who remember Halloween 4 and 5, the little girl in that movie is all grown up in this remake and appears topless quite a bit.

Also saw Death Sentence. That movie was real good, especially since I went to the $4.00 showing. If you liked Death Wish, it's by the same author who wrote the original movie (not all the sequels, though). Kevin Bacon gives a great performance.

Plus, I'm on page 431 of that book I'm reading. George R.R. Martin tells such a great story, and even the little things are worth noting. (For example, I love the castle for House Arryn, set atop a mountain; especially, the fact that the dungeons aren't the normal type a person would envision. A prisoner can escape anytime, granted he wants to end his life. Built on the side of a mountain, the prison cells don't have a wall; but, opens up where the prisoner can fall off the mountain to his death. On top of that, the ground is slick and slanted...after a while, death is perferable to the insanity the cells cause.) I even went to Half Priced Books this weekend in hopes of getting the other three books cheap..but, they didn't have a single paperback by the author. They said his books don't last long on the shelves, as he's too popular.

You probably already know this but Amazon. The books can be found second hand on the website.

I would actually send you a copy of mine but the shipment cost would be greater then the value of the books. ;)

What a great day! Yesterday, The Office Season 3 DVD came out. The DVDs for seasons 1-3 are sooo good. I haven't watched it on regular tv; and, one reason is because the DVDs have the absolute best deleted scenes of any DVDs I've ever watched. The scenes are just as hilarious as any that appear on the normal show. It really surprises me that a 20-22 minute episode will have an additional 7 minutes of good footage that could easily have made it on the show. I loved The Office when the BBC original did it, and am so glad that NBC didn't dummy it down, as everyone was expecting.

Hmmm....I'm thinking we aren't going to get any more votes. That's the problem..once we lose people in the competition, a lot of them don't come back and vote any more. It seems so long ago when we'd have a good 16 votes each week.

Yeah, I was waiting for you to eventually get back. I'll try and have a debate up in a couple days, too.

Sorry, I've been sick for about a week. Still not feeling in top shape. Anyway, I got a debate up.

I did get well enough this weekend to see Resident Evil 3, which I thought was the best of all three. And, the Seahawks beat the Bengals yesterday, which was a great game to see. Can't wait for Halo 3 tomorrow!!! Reviews have been excellent. (I've also been playing Biosphere....it's an excellent game, too.)

Damn Seahawks. Screwing up my picks. (Along with all the other teams screwing them up :mad:)

So, how many of us are there in this thing? There's the three of us and JH. Anyone else still hanging around?

I think we have about five people voting. BTW, HEROES TONIGHT!!! I might have to wait until February for Lost, but at least I'll have Heroes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"