• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC P - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd definitely go for Booker. I don't think Michelle Obama would run or should run. Obama is a good man and was a decent President, but if you want to reach across the country and get a lot of the good Americans that voted Trump out of desperation you can't run an Obama or a Clinton. I think Sanders won't run due to age, though who he throws his hat in with will go a long way towards whoever it is that does end up running. Booker is absolutely a great choice. Warren wouldn't be bad, though I fear she'd have a hard time mobilizing. Not impossible though. She doesn't have Clinton amounts of baggage. I wouldn't mind someone like Al Franken running, though I don't think he would. I think the Democrats may consider someone with a fair amount of celebrity. Trump rode a lot of his celebrity for parts of this campaign. That celebrity got his foot in the door.

I like warren as a person a lot and as a leader but I don't think she will be enough to stop Trump getting a second term and that's absolutely essential.

I reckon Booker as Pres, Warren as Vice President. As far as I'm aware America has never had a female Vice President so it's still breaking the glass ceiling, just not yet in the way we would like yet.

Frankly, I'd vote for Hillary again because **** Trump and his clown car cabinet of loons. After what I'm seeing from the GOP, as long as the Dems pick a candidate that isn't a backwards ass, ignorant, bigoted pervert Ill vote for them. After this election, it will be a cold day in Hell before I vote GOP again. I at least have to wait for the GOP crazies to retire or permanently leave office before I start supporting that party again. It's too damn dangerous to support that party.

In my experience repeating candidates doesn't work well. People tend to loose the enthusiasm from the first time. Although I would have loved to have seen what a Clinton presidency would look like (not bill though)

I'd say Warren and Booker are likely to throw their names in the hat 2020. I would vote for Booker. I could see Sherrod Brown as well.

Oh yeah? Interesting choice. People are saying Oprah should go for it but I really don't want to see Democracy turn into a celebrity off

The Democrats' Big 2016 Mistake

Excerpt:

There are plenty of culprits to fixate on. Already Clinton herself, and no doubt some of those around her, have blamed the FBI director, James Comey. There’s the predictable screaming about the undemocratic nature of the Electoral College, because apparently millions of Americans didn’t realize before last week that they weren’t living in ancient Athens.

In a New York Times op-ed, David Plouffe, who managed President Obama’s triumphant 2008 campaign, listed low turnout among younger and African-American voters as Clinton’s chief problem in states like Michigan and Wisconsin. Plouffe’s litany of causes came down to this: Donald Trump’s voters were super-excited about their candidate, and Clinton’s voters less so.

All of which certainly helps illuminate the tactical reasons Clinton lost, but not the larger, underlying problem.

Democrats lost because for a while now they’ve been telling themselves a story about modern politics. And while that story is comforting and has some significant truth at its core, it turns out to be dangerously wishful.

This particular story goes all the way back to 2002, when the writers Ruy Teixeira and John Judis published an influential book called “The Emerging Democratic Majority.” At a time when Democrats were dispirited, Teixeira and Judis argued, presciently, that the country’s demographics were evolving in ways that would ultimately favor their candidates.

As racial minorities and women came to encompass ever larger blocs of the electorate in the years ahead, and as the small-town South lost population to urban and western America, Democratic constituencies would inevitably gain a numerical advantage over traditionally conservative blocs.

This argument took on a special currency after 2004, when liberals (now calling themselves progressives) were busy building their new infrastructure. As changes in the makeup of the electorate began to accelerate, the theory of demography as destiny took firm hold on the left.

Basically, the party’s leading funders and operatives decided that they didn’t have to pander to white people living outside of cities anymore, because with each passing year their voters were cementing a new majority and redrawing the electoral map. Every election now was going to be a turnout election; get the people who already agree with you to the polls, and you don’t have to worry very much about persuading anyone else.

Barack Obama’s two elections seemed to them to validate this new Democratic math. Obama relied on a coalition of African-Americans and Latinos, along with first-time voters and women, to become only the fourth Democrat in history to break the 50 percent barrier — twice.

And so this was Hillary’s driving theory of the race. Her campaign was effectively nothing but a giant turnout operation, crunching data on reliable Democratic voters while simultaneously keeping the candidate herself from saying anything remotely interesting. She ran on a database, rather than on an argument; the more Trump alienated and motivated her base, the less she felt the need to make any discernible case.

Last edited:
I like warren as a person a lot and as a leader but I don't think she will be enough to stop Trump getting a second term and that's absolutely essential.

Well the consensus, even today, is that Trump won because more people hated Hillary than there were that hated Trump, so voting for Trump wasn't even really voting FOR Trump. Warren is like a female Sanders essentially, so it could still work. We know she already has the passion and fire in her, so she might be able to mobilize her people purely from her fiery attitude, same way as Sanders. Booker is definitely the more polished between the 2, and can be deemed Obama 2.0 from how he carries himself. But either way, unless Trump does an absolutely amazing job, I think any halfway decent Democrat with competence and no baggage can beat Trump.

The stigma of causing a divide is going to ride with Trump for the next 4 years unless he actively tries to mitigate that, which doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. He either doesn't care, or not competent enough to see it as a problem so far. And all this talk is still assuming Trump himself even wants to run a second term. All the signs currently points to him not even expecting himself to win. Maybe he goes on a power trip after 4 years of power, and wants to keep it, who knows, but as of right now, he probably don't even want to do the first term of the presidency.

I reckon Booker as Pres, Warren as Vice President. As far as I'm aware America has never had a female Vice President so it's still breaking the glass ceiling, just not yet in the way we would like yet.

No way on Booker, too many skeletons in his closet from his time running Newark. If he wasn't African American, he wouldn't even be considered.

Any thoughts on Tim Ryan challenging Nancy Pelosi for her leadership position? I think that's a good thing. Pelosi got control of congress ten years ago for the dems off the back of the Iraq war and Bush's declining popularity, however they lost the last three elections and now the republicans have gained control over all three branches off the back of Trump's victory. I think she needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
No way on Booker, too many skeletons in his closet from his time running Newark. If he wasn't African American, he wouldn't even be considered.

Nonsense, booker is gifted as an orator both in person and social media, has a commitment to science and tech, history of working with the other side to get the job done. He's perfect for the job and that has nothing to do with his race

Interesting point. It's not like there aren't talented young people in there who could step up

If they put up Booker, maybe Democrats deserve to lose. There is complete discontent towards the establishment (it's not going to change since Trump is predictably showing greater interest in the rich than the middle class), and Booker personifies the establishment almost as much as Clinton. Not only that, but Booker's speeches, like the one during the DNC convention, are complete propagandist bull****.

They need an actual progressive next time or they'll lose again. They need a left-wing populist, and Booker - who takes the most donations from Wall St than any other Dem Senator - is not that guy.

Last edited:
Did Democrats not learn anything? Might as well through Nancy Pelosi up there and watch her flail in the wind for fun.

Democrats need another Bernie or Obama. A grass roots outsider that says they are for the people and doesn't have ties to corruption, corporations, or Wall Street.

It really is sad about Joe Biden's son. I feel like if that didn't happen, there's a good chance Biden would be POTUS right now.

I said it on the first page, I think there will be a lot of innuendo and comments questioning why Booker is 47 years old and unmarried.

Did Democrats not learn anything? Might as well through Nancy Pelosi up there and watch her flail in the wind for fun.

Democrats need another Bernie or Obama. A grass roots outsider that says they are for the people and doesn't have ties to corruption, corporations, or Wall Street.

Nina Turner or Tulsi Gabbard?
Sanders is no spring chicken and Warren is getting up there in age too. They need to shake free from the "Clintonian" style Democrat.

Obama is charismatic and a great speaker, but it doesn't hide the fact he has ties to Wall Street just like Clinton. Citigroup had influence on his cabinet back in 08.

Is it possible for any Presidential candidate to win without big donors?

I said it on the first page, I think there will be a lot of innuendo and comments questioning why Booker is 47 years old and unmarried.

There definitely would be. I think it matters less post Trump, though. Trump is thrice married, 1,000 + law suits, 8 bankruptcies, no political, or military experience etc. I like him (Booker), don't think he'll be the nominee in 4 years, though. I do think he'll be among the initial to declare, and possibly on the ticket in the VP role. I think the Dems will go with someone we're not currently talking about.

Honestly, I think the real problem was Hillary. Get rid of her and her cronies, and the party will be in much better shape. I don't think this was a repudiation of Democratic values. People, including many Democrats, just couldn't stand her.

Honestly, I think the real problem was Hillary. Get rid of her and her cronies, and the party will be in much better shape. I don't think this was a repudiation of Democratic values. People, including many Democrats, just couldn't stand her.

If you look at the bigger picture though, the Democratic Party isn't in great shape. They only have 11 Governorships. All those seats in Congress lost. It's like ever since Obama took the White House, it's been a steady decline for the rest of the Democratic Party, culminating with this.

I agree with you that Hillary was a problem though. But Democrats need to get back to a grassroots effort and go from there. It's basically an opportunity to reboot the party.

They got complacent after Obama strutted into back to back election victories and everyone was drinking the Democrat Kool Aid.

If you look at the bigger picture though, the Democratic Party isn't in great shape. They only have 11 Governorships. All those seats in Congress lost. It's like ever since Obama took the White House, it's been a steady decline for the rest of the Democratic Party, culminating with this.

I agree with you that Hillary was a problem though. But Democrats need to get back to a grassroots effort and go from there. It's basically an opportunity to reboot the party.

As Sam Bee points out, 2010 was pretty decimating. Which is why 2018 is just as important as 2020. You can't just focus on the presidency. That way lies the path of third parties.

They got complacent after Obama strutted into back to back election victories and everyone was drinking the Democrat Kool Aid.
I think that happens with both parties once they get the Presidency or any semblance of control.

Watching the Republicans get theirs in 2018 and 2020 will be sweet.

While I somewhat agree with you, Hillary has gotten 1.5 million more votes than Trump and it's still climbing. Not bad for a candidate that supposedly nobody likes, doesn't it?

I think that happens with both parties once they get the Presidency or any semblance of control.

Definitely, it's probably natural when things go a party's way a little too easily. They stop putting any effort in and then get a shock like the democrats just got which should light a fire under their asses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"