Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming? - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't get the rights though. Sony kept the rights and is simply allowing Spider-Man to appear in Marvel films while Marvel Studios helps Sony make the new Spider-Man films which officially keep Sony as producer and distributor. It's a much simpler deal than what we are talking about than an entire acquisition.
I know, I meant rights of in terms of production, etc. The point is that they got creative control of the character and the ability to put in the MCU, and did so relatively quickly and successfully.

Honestly, I'll start with the Fantastic Four first. That should be the main focus, especially since they are trying to build out the cosmic universe. And its easier.

Hopefully, Constantine will eventually just sell the rights back to Marvel.

There is a possibility for such a clause as well. The key issue here is ownership. Fox is the current "holder" of the film rights, but with respect to ownership that falls onto Disney/Marvel. So a contingent contract could be written after the announcement to allow for a fast track of certain characters into the MCU. Any side agreement could be written as being contingent on the process continuing to proceed with the acquisition and be rendered null if the acquisition deal were to be terminated for any reason.

Or, they could just make a deal (EDIT: for the CB characters) that either side could live with knowing that the deal isn't going to get hung up based on the ownership of the comic book characters.

Or, they could have a series of mini-deals that would be unaffected if one deal was held up. When I was negotiating labor contracts with the University of California, one of the things we did was negotiate a severability clause which stated that if an article of the contract was found to be in violation of the law, that the rest of the contract would still apply. A slightly different way of accomplishing the same thing.

I don't know how acquisition discussions work, but it seems like they could approach it that way.

Or, they could just make a deal (EDIT: for the CB characters) that either side could live with knowing that the deal isn't going to get hung up based on the ownership of the comic book characters.
They could indeed, which is why it would be relatively straight forward and with less risk since it would be completely contingent on other activities being completed.

Honestly, I'll start with the Fantastic Four first. That should be the main focus, especially since they are trying to build out the cosmic universe. And its easier.

Hopefully, Constantine will eventually just sell the rights back to Marvel.

As others have mentioned today while a lot of the clickbait sites are going on about Constantin there is little evidence that it has anything to do with the FF rights anymore.

A useful link
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/1994-fantastic-four-franchises-invisible-814310

and the important quote

The film was rushed into production five days before Neue's option ran out. Once it was completed, the German company had 90 days to buy out Corman's distribution rights, which, surprisingly, it did. "I went to lunch with Bernd, who told me he'd sold both the film and the rights to Fox, who was going to make a $60 million version and they didn't want this low-budget movie around," recalls Corman. "I was kind of disappointed because it would have been an interesting challenge to distribute, but I was sitting there with a pretty hefty check."

First the deal would never happen.... Next Comcast or Verizon will buy instead... Then it was FOXMEN will continue separate... Now it's well it'll take years before they can officially join.

Keep on pushing that line back!

sigh bend the knee and get it over with already

They could indeed, which is why it would be relatively straight forward and with less risk since it would be completely contingent on other activities being completed.

Yeah. It's standard in Labor Contracts to have various articles (Grievance, Work Rules, Hours of Work, Corrective Action, various Leaves, etc.) separated so they don't impact one another in case something goes wrong. I don't know how these negotiations work, but they could certainly, more or less, follow that model.

Does anyone know if there's a general format that is followed? It seems to me that there's a real advantage to separating things where possible in case you hit some snafu and everything goes fubar.

First the deal would never happen.... Next Comcast or Verizon will buy instead... Then it was FOXMEN will continue separate... Now it's well it'll take years before they can officially join.

Keep on pushing that line back!

sigh bend the knee and get it over with already

They just don't want to admit defeat!

Yeah. It's standard in Labor Contracts to have various articles (Grievance, Work Rules, Hours of Work, Corrective Action, various Leaves, etc.) separated so they don't impact one another in case something goes wrong. I don't know how these negotiations work, but they could certainly, more or less, follow that model.

Does anyone know if there's a general format that is followed? It seems to me that there's a real advantage to separating things where possible in case you hit some snafu and everything goes fubar.
Most acquisitions just make the deal, wait out the allotted time for approvals, then close and move forward. This particular situation with the MCU is more of a unique situation. You have a major movie event (Infinity War + Avengers 4) that could provide a monumental springboard for various properties.

Both Fox and Disney will now have a united invested interest from this forward on in maximizing these assets. Which is why it would make sense for them if they did a side deal to allow Marvel Studios to use/openly reference characters currently under Fox's control. Make that deal contingent on closure of the acquisition. So long as that moves forward (and it will) things would be kosher. It benefits both parties as they move forward towards becoming one.

Most acquisitions just make the deal, wait out the allotted time for approvals, then close and move forward. This particular situation with the MCU is more of a unique situation. You have a major movie event (Infinity War + Avengers 4) that could provide a monumental springboard for various properties.

Both Fox and Disney will now have a united invested interest from this forward on in maximizing these assets. Which is why it would make sense for them if they did a side deal to allow Marvel Studios to use/openly reference characters currently under Fox's control. Make that deal contingent on closure of the acquisition. So long as that moves forward (and it will) things would be kosher. It benefits both parties as they move forward towards becoming one.
It's a nice idea to think about, but that doesn't mean that's how it will play out.

A side deal still wouldn't be able to rush government oversight. Also pre-existing contracts or deals to release certain films.

Paramount still released Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America after the buyout, but the buyout of the distribution rights by Disney let them keep their logo in front of Avengers and Iron Man 3.

This is a fairly unique sale since it's not the whole company but certain select, pieces. With that in mind, I would suspect they might have broken up the assets into groups and approximate prices on those groups, something like:

Group A $500 Million
Group B $4.5 Billion
Group C $10 Billiion
Group D $15 Billion
Group E $7.5 Billion
Group F $500 Million
Group G $2 Billion

Then Disney could offer $40 billion (in stocks, cash, whatever) for the complete package and then if the Justice Department says: "Wait a minute, Group B and Group F give Disney a near monopoly of X. That's going to be a problem."

Then Disney could say: "Okay, in the interest of appeasing the Justice Department, we'll give you $35 billion for everything else and you can keep B and F or try to sell them to someone else."

And then if I were Disney, I might take it a step further. If we imagine Group A is the FF/X-Men rights, I'd say: "Look, before we get into this big, complicated deal, you know we have a special interest in Group A. We're going to write you a check for $500 million right now for Group A and take it off the table, then we'll reduce the value of the total deal to $39.5 Billion. The Justice Department can't have any problems with us ending that licensing agreement, because we're not even buying anything. We're just paying you to end it now rather than later. And that will also simplify things if there are any other problems because those licenses with their restrictions aren't going to be worth more to anybody else than they are to us."

I kind of doubt they went through that many hoops and they'll probably just work out details if/when the Justice Department objects, but I would have done something like that.

And if they did, Disney might already have the rights.

A side deal still wouldn't be able to rush government oversight.

Sure it could. Do you think the government got involved when the Daredevil rights reverted or when Fox traded Ego for Negasonic Teenage Warhead?

Fox and Disney could agree to a deal to send the rights back before they finalize the other details.

Sure it could. Do you think the government got involved when the Daredevil rights reverted or when Fox traded Ego for Negasonic Teenage Warhead?

Fox and Disney could agree to a deal to send the rights back before they finalize the other details.

Willie Lumpkin you are confusing your own desires and speculation with reality. There's no evidence here that they've separated the assets or properties or set up a side deal as what you are describing.

This is the fake countdown clock all over again :)

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/fantastic-four/37372/update-fox-denies-fantastic-four-rumours

Let's not forget this report. No matter what anyone says. X-Men TV rights had nothing to do with Fantastic Four. But we had plenty of people here speculating this was the case.

Willie Lumpkin you are confusing your own desires and speculation with reality. There's no evidence here that they've separated the assets or properties or set up a side deal as what you are describing.

I didn't say they did, I said they could.

I kind of doubt they went through that many hoops and they'll probably just work out details if/when the Justice Department objects, but I would have done something like that.

Exactly. That's the benefit of singling out the no-brainers.

This is the fake countdown clock all over again :)

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/fantastic-four/37372/update-fox-denies-fantastic-four-rumours

Let's not forget this report. No matter what anyone says. X-Men TV rights had nothing to do with Fantastic Four. But we had plenty of people here speculating this was the case.

Nobody "knows" anything other than they are close to a deal. All people are saying is that it's possible Disney/Fox negotiated something along these lines. I do know that it happens in other types of negotiations. Whether it did here or not isn't known.

You don't KNOW exactly what X-Men TV rights involved for sure.

I didn't say they did, I said they could.
I mean a lot of things could happen. That doesn't mean they will.

A lot of people thought Disney made a deal with Fantastic Four rights in exchange for X-Men TV rights to Fox. When it seems like it was all purely financial. At least it made in-roads between FOX TV and Marvel TV.

Just because Marvel was able to trade single characters for approval changes with Fox doesn't mean they will be able to just send them entire properties after the sale gets announced.

Nobody "knows" anything other than they are close to a deal. All people are saying is that it's possible Disney/Fox negotiated something along these lines. I do know that it happens in other types of negotiations. Whether it did here or not isn't known.

You don't KNOW exactly what X-Men TV rights involved for sure.
Yes we do. Marvel TV was able to get involved and get a co-production deal. Instead of just FOX TV, Marvel's Head of TV, Jeph Loeb was brought on for all the X-Men TV shows.

Nothing changed with any of the character rights.

It's a nice idea to think about, but that doesn't mean that's how it will play out.

A side deal still wouldn't be able to rush government oversight. Also pre-existing contracts or deals to release certain films.

Paramount still released Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America after the buyout, but the buyout of the distribution rights by Disney let them keep their logo in front of Avengers and Iron Man 3.
I get that. It is all speculative on our part. The Paramount situation is a bit different than this one though.

Yes we do. Marvel TV was able to get involved and get a co-production deal. Instead of just FOX TV, Marvel's Head of TV, Jeph Loeb was brought on for all the X-Men TV shows.

Nothing changed with any of the character rights.

Think does not equal Know. We may or may not know everything. IE we do not Know.

We do know it was a co-production deal as that's what Jeph Loeb said in an official press release. Fox made a deal with Marvel TV to co-produce X-Men TV shows, which Fox couldn't do before on their own. And so Fox made Gifted and Legion out of that deal.

That looks better :up:

There is no guarantee of trades with Universal happening, though. I want to believe it will work, LOL! Trade them Predator or something, get Hulk! :cmad:

I want a sequel :csad:

Another thing here, imagine

TIH 2 - an updated abomination, leader. Introduction of Red Hulk, She Hulk, and....Wolverine
WW Hulk - can be pretty close to the comics once all other players are back in play. Side characters, everyone. This could be another "Civil War". This could be huge.
Planet Hulk - Thor Ragnarok Spoilers
There's a 2 year gap between Sokovia and Thor Ragnarok. I think this was done on purpose to leave the option open for a Planet Hulk movie in the future if they ever get the rights back. It can show that timeline and Hulk going through the rankings of ass whupping and developing as a character. Side characters Billy Ray Bob,
Thing/FF, BetaRay Bill, Man-Thing, others

It's kind of late to do Planet Hulk at this point. Thor: Ragnarok was basically Planet Hulk, subbing Thor for Hulk as the main character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"