Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming? - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of late to do Planet Hulk at this point. Thor: Ragnarok was basically Planet Hulk, subbing Thor for Hulk as the main character.

It's a stretch, certainly. The first 2 are still very much in play though they would have to get the rights.

I think the ship has passed. I doubt Marvel will do a Hulk movie where it's just Hulk the whole time. They wouldn't even do that for Ragnarok.

Also how would you even do World War Hulk? Hulk had no personal ties to Sakaar. Grandmaster has already been deposed. His whole motivation for World War Hulk was a giant revenge war to the people who shot him into space who he also mistakenly believe(?) blew up Sakaar killing his wife and unborn child. So basically all that's gone now.

I think the ship has passed. I doubt Marvel will do a Hulk movie where it's just Hulk the whole time. They wouldn't even do that for Ragnarok.

Also how would you even do World War Hulk? Hulk had no personal ties to Sakaar. Grandmaster has already been deposed. His whole motivation for World War Hulk was a giant revenge war to the people who shot him into space who he also mistakenly believe(?) blew up Sakaar killing his wife and unborn child. So basically all that's gone now.

A lot of stories (and characters) in the MCU are completely different than the comics. I don't think the chances of a Planet Hulk is completely gone either, but more unlikely than the others because of Ragnarok.

The one point you have on not doing a movie with Hulk the whole time and no Banner is cost.

A lot of stories (and characters) in the MCU are completely different than the comics. I don't think the chances of a Planet Hulk is completely gone either, but more unlikely than the others because of Ragnarok.

The one point you have on not doing a movie with Hulk the whole time and no Banner is cost.
I would say for the foreseeable future they are. Also, doing Planet Hulk means you would need to establish a more intelligent Hulk as well. So that would also have to change.

I just find it highly unlikely that Marvel Studios will ever do an entire Hulk movie of just all Hulk the whole way through without any Banner.

It just doesn't seem worth it to Disney to deal with Universal just to do any Hulk solo films. And it certainly doesn't appear they are ever going too adapt those Hulk stories properly anyways. It will be just like you saw in Ragnarok. They will continue to use Hulk in whatever movie they want and make money that way.

I'm fine with that considering we finally got the best version of Hulk in Ragnarok, a version we never even got across two different Hulk-solo films.

For all the lower level workers who work on the Fox lot, I'm unofficially exploring my options right now. That's what they should be doing.

I'm fine with that considering we finally got the best version of Hulk in Ragnarok, a version we never even got across two different Hulk-solo films.

Yeah, agreed.

It just doesn't seem worth it to Disney to deal with Universal just to do any Hulk solo films. And it certainly doesn't appear they are ever going too adapt those Hulk stories properly anyways. It will be just like you saw in Ragnarok. They will continue to use Hulk in whatever movie they want and make money that way.

There won't be a solo Hulk movie unless the rights return to Marvel.

Couldn't they make use of that lot to make more films?
Doubt it. Whenever a big merger like this happens. Positions get redundant. Divisions get shuttered, and people's jobs are liquidated or erased.

Disney's main goal once this is done will be to maximize profits and keep costs down to pay for the acquisition. Making films also costs money, and those films are never guaranteed to make a profit for the studio either.

Not to mention the operating costs of a whole other studio lot.

It will sort of be a shame to see that lot get shut down. But chances are they might sell the space off. That's just speculation on my part.

Case in point, after Disney bought Lucasfilm, they promptly shut down Lucasarts :(

I agree that it will probably be a while, but while it will be illegal for Marvel to pick up the phone and talk to Fox about plans, it's not illegal for Feige to plan, create production art, commission scripts etc. They could even film scenes to potentially be inserted into IW2. They might be risking the money spent to film those scenes if things are still held up, but nobody can prevent them from filming them.

My guess is 2021 sounds right.

They probably can't commission an official script until 2019 or begin casting, and scouting... but they can put all their ducks in a row and finalize their outlines and have talent waiting in the wings (at least in terms of writing and directing). Then boom, hit the ground running in 2019, and have the first movie (be it FF or X) by 2021.

I'm willing to bet that they've known, for quite some time, how they'd integrate the X-men and the FF into the ever-expanding MCU. Obviously no scripts have been written or concept art produced, but there have undoubtedly been extensive conversations.

I'm willing to bet that they've known, for quite some time, how they'd integrate the X-men and the FF into the ever-expanding MCU. Obviously no scripts have been written or concept art produced, but there have undoubtedly been extensive conversations.

It's the opposite of everyone else. The planning has been meticulous while still retaining flexibility to adapt to new situations.

Maybe, if they feel they need it. We honestly won't know what they plan to do, until they do it.

I was hoping they could commit to 4 Marvel films a year with all this extra material, and that having some ready-made Fox film production assets might help with that. Yeah we'll see what they announce in due time.

Comcast/Universal has the distribution rights to Hulk and Namor solo films; but Marvel has the production rights. So Com/Uni can’t do anything with those characters but hold them out of spite and make whatever residuals there are from The Incredible Hulk film. However Marvel may use both characters in non-solo films. The good news is that both characters happen to work well in those scenarios
When did marvel negotiate that deal for Namor?
Sony on the other hand has both production and distribution rights to all of the Spidey characters. So they can, and unfortunately do, still make their own films. They however have agreed to allow Marvel to co-produce Spidey proper films and let him appear in MCU films.
I thought the deal meant Marvel made all the story decisions etc

Doubt it. Whenever a big merger like this happens. Positions get redundant. Divisions get shuttered, and people's jobs are liquidated or erased.

Disney's main goal once this is done will be to maximize profits and keep costs down to pay for the acquisition. Making films also costs money, and those films are never guaranteed to make a profit for the studio either.

Not to mention the operating costs of a whole other studio lot.

It will sort of be a shame to see that lot get shut down. But chances are they might sell the space off. That's just speculation on my part.

Case in point, after Disney bought Lucasfilm, they promptly shut down Lucasarts :(
Yeah, that's the unfortunate part of these mergers.

Will definitely be a shame if they shut it down.

I don't know about 4 films per year. That would require more quality control and more work for Marvel Studios. They should stay with 3 films per year and it isn't like they are planning to do a movie #4 for their solo heroes anyway. Once gotg 3 is out, they could slowly roll out the Fantastic Four. Then after Ant-Man 3, do Silver Surfer next. Then X-Men. Anyway in 2025. Capt. Marvel and Black Panther (from the current heroes) are probably the ones left to complete a solo film trilogy.

Well we are still a ways off from anything happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"