Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, is it me, or is it getting a bit hostile in here? I don't agree with cherokeesam, but he's entitled to his opinion without being subjected to name-calling and the like.

It's not a true Whedon production without a few ruffled feathers and bitterness from somewhere along the way. It's just, usually that stuff doesn't happen 'til after the show has started, lol.

VictimizedByJossWhedon_zps722d0a2a.gif

Oh well, nothing wrong with a head start, I suppose.

Yikes, is it me, or is it getting a bit hostile in here? I don't agree with cherokeesam, but he's entitled to his opinion without being subjected to name-calling and the like.

Seems a little excessive but on the other hand complaining that the show isn't about superheroes vs supervillains is also pretty out there.

sXNW0yk.jpg

Oh, I dunno: superheroes fighting supervillains? Call me crazy, I know....superheroes in a superhero genre? I know, right?

Yeah? I don't recall asking you, or giving a rat's ass.

You're on a open forum, genius. Not in a vacuum. People will comment on what you say. You have the right to say it. But be prepared for disagreement. If you don't like that, then go get a blog.

Last edited:
You're on a open forum, genius. Not in a vacuum. People will comment on what you say. You have the right to say it. But be prepared for disagreement. If you don't like that, then go get a blog.

Yep, I fully expect disagreement, and I fully expect you to disagree with me. And we can disagree like GROWNUPS....novel idea. Not with you coming in here interrupting an argument between me and Doc Cosmic (who I happen to like, and agree with most of the time, and even enjoy his posts when we *dis*agree) and talking OVER me like a piece of damn furniture ("oh hey I hate that guy" :huh:). Think about it: if you did that to a REAL LIFE conversation, somebody (incl. me) would go Joe Pesci Goodfellas on your rude ass.

You're such an ass dude. Grabbing my popcorn to watch you to continue coming in here and crying.

Oh, so expressing a dissenting viewpoint against Lord High Almighty Joss is "crying" now? Figures. Your Church is just as blind as the Church of Nolan that most of you are ridiculing all the time. And Orville Redenbacher owes me a cut, for all the "popcorn" I'm apparently selling in this post. (Although I'll be happy to buy some popcorn just to watch Scarjo eating popcorn, so keep those gifs coming, folks)

SHIELD has never been superheroes fighting supervillains, not in the comics, not in the movies, not ever.

Except Iron Man, Spider-Woman, Captain America, Green Goblin, Skids, Abigail Brand, Daisy "Quake" Johnson, Deathlok, Quasar, Falcon, Jamie Madrox, Mockingbird, Dani Moonstar, Kitty Pryde, Marvel Boy, and I'm sure I'm missing plenty of others. Want me to get started on SHIELD's super-roster on the Ultimates side, too?

Also, how dare you compare this to "a cop series set on earth in the Trek Universe that did not feature the Federation or aliens or starships." or "a Star Wars show centering around garbage collectors on Coruscant." That's a complete insult to Joss Whedon's credibility, and based only on your twisted interpretation of a few short answers in an interview.

That was in reference to an analogy Doc Cosmic made earlier. Please try to keep up.

Sam, I agree that the recent comments from Joss seems like the show is veering in a direction that is not what I had hoped or expected. However, I still have faith in Marvel that they will do the right thing. They need to use this show as a vehicle to get less well known characters into live action. When it is all said and done I think we will see characters like Luke Cage, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Quake, etc. It makes no sense to create this show and then not use it to its full potential.

Sam, for one Norman osborn isnt shield... Its hammer

And two the others you listed will not be part of the main cast. Could they show up as reoccuring roles? Sure. But the show isn't about them.

And i do think there's a difference between a superhero and being an agent with a superability or skill set. They're an agent first and foremost.

I suspect some agents may have a power (eventually) and id be shocked if we didn't see the shield telepaths. But people like spider-woman won't be showing up as a main character. This is about new recruits joining a agency in a superpowered world

Look from one guy who's opinionated to another... Ill never get why people hate vocally opinionated people. But at the same time... You're judging a show that we haven't even seen a screen cap from and already have probably made uo your mind that you won't like it. I suggest if you do that often in life... You're closing yourself off to quite alot and also getting upset about very very small and trivial things... Wait till the show comes out or we know actually stuff about it before you fly off the handle

For those of you concerned that SHIELD will be L&O or CSI with flashier costumes and high tech weaponry, I wouldn't worry. The original concept of the show was of a law enforcement team dealing with the ramifications of a post "Avengers" world. Some of the ramifications will likely include the proliferation of costumed vigilantes (and perhaps the start of a registration program), private companies competing to bring weaponized armor and biological enhancement to the market, and attempts to establish contact with alien life forms. Characters not ready for the MCU like Moon Knight, Melter & Stilt-Man may make an appearance on the SHIELD show, though I wouldn't be surprised if Feige & Company use the show as a way to (re)introduce concepts like Runaways, Heroes for Hire and Daredevil for use in future MCU films.

Just thinking. I am curious to see how they are going to do the pilot and explain Coulson's presence and not have Samuel L. Jackson involved. I don't think it is at all unreasonable to believe that he might be in the pilot, having secretly filmed a couple of scenes.

Just thinking. I am curious to see how they are going to do the pilot and explain Coulson's presence and not have Samuel L. Jackson involved. I don't think it is at all unreasonable to believe that he might be in the pilot, having secretly filmed a couple of scenes.

well.... Sams voice and speech pattern is very easy to reproduce. a lot of comedians do it all the time. just get a good impersonator, keep him in the shadows all the time, problem solved.

well.... Sams voice and speech pattern is very easy to reproduce. a lot of comedians do it all the time. just get a good impersonator, keep him in the shadows all the time, problem solved.

Sure, they could do that but I bet if Fury is part of the pilot that SLJ will actually appear. He has said he is open to it and it would certainly draw some attention to the pilot when it airs.

Is that the film where she gets a ... erm :woo:woo ... fun time in a car.

Not sure. Don't remember.

But here's the dancing clip I mentioned, and the bit at the end looks like it might possibly be the same scene with the popcorn, but doesn't show the popcorn. Well, at least she's dressed similarly, and she looks very hot in just a T-shirt and completely bare lower half.

[YT]7W58vFi5c_I[/YT]

I feel that ScarJo seemed to be lacking some of Black Widow's seductive charm in both films she appeared. She didn't seem quite enough of a Russian femme fatale.

Sure, they could do that but I bet if Fury is part of the pilot that SLJ will actually appear. He has said he is open to it and it would certainly draw some attention to the pilot when it airs.

I thought they've already filmed the pilot. There was no mention of SLJ, unless they go and film a scene with him later on just to add to it. But maybe having him in there puts a big expectation on it, but then on the other hand, it could be like the pilot of Deep Space Nine where Patrick Stewart appeared as Picard.

Oh, I dunno: superheroes fighting supervillains? Call me crazy, I know....superheroes in a superhero genre? I know, right?

SHIELD has that... in the background. Can you deal?

Also... that's *one* thing. It's not even close to a fair analogy to compare it to a show with everything about the Marvel Universe removed. And it really is a fair critique that the show is called "SHIELD" and not "West Coast Avengers" so expecting the show to be about superheroes doesn't sound reasonable.

Perhaps a better analogy would be TNG to DS9. "Whaaat... I expect Star Trek to have ship battles, call me crazy!"
People also made those crazy comparisons there. "Not having this one thing? You might as well not have ANYthing!"
Fans.

Last edited:
I thought they've already filmed the pilot. There was no mention of SLJ, unless they go and film a scene with him later on just to add to it. But maybe having him in there puts a big expectation on it, but then on the other hand, it could be like the pilot of Deep Space Nine where Patrick Stewart appeared as Picard.

Yeah, the pilot is in the can. I'm just wondering if SLJ may have filmed a scene or two in secret. It would help to establish the show with the audience and it would make sense from a narrative point of view. If he is not involved, I am going to be very interested in what they come up with for Coulson.

Yeah, the pilot is in the can. I'm just wondering if SLJ may have filmed a scene or two in secret. It would help to establish the show with the audience and it would make sense from a narrative point of view. If he is not involved, I am going to be very interested in what they come up with for Coulson.

Yeah, they could have SLJ just record some audio, and then incorporate that as intercom orders or whatever. Have Coulson leading a field office on the ground. Maybe every once in a great while, show a snippet of the helicarrier in the distance or something. I'm looking forward to seeing how SHIELD handles clean up of battles and/or investigates smaller villain threats or even regular people who are aspiring to become big villains, kinda like the "item 47" short. If the SHIELD show is setup/looks similar to "item 47" I will be thrilled. Maybe little nods to more prominent heroes/villains here and there would be nice, but not totally necessary.

I really have to wonder what about this could reasonably make anyone expect it to be primarily about superheroes, from the day one premise announcement. Maybe what you want is a show about superheroes, sure, but there's never been any prospect of that being what you'd *get*. And given, with a few possible exceptions, a show focused on super heroes would likely be awful, given budgetary limitations? I'm not sure why you'd hope to get the next Smallville.

Yeah, they could have SLJ just record some audio, and then incorporate that as intercom orders or whatever. Have Coulson leading a field office on the ground. Maybe every once in a great while, show a snippet of the helicarrier in the distance or something. I'm looking forward to seeing how SHIELD handles clean up of battles and/or investigates smaller villain threats or even regular people who are aspiring to become big villains, kinda like the "item 47" short. If the SHIELD show is setup/looks similar to "item 47" I will be thrilled. Maybe little nods to more prominent heroes/villains here and there would be nice, but not totally necessary.

SLJ himself expressed a strong interest in being involved with the show, if only via a voice-over like Charlie's Angels. He seemed so enthusiastic about it that it would be a shame not to take him up on it, and an insult if they got some D-lister to impersonate him. Fury could give Coulson directions for his team's missions and debrief him afterward. It wouldn't have to happen in every episode, of course, but the calls could provide a needed link back to the SHIELD of the movies.

On the matter of superhero involvement, there are certain to be appearances by minor heroes and villains from the comics. Whedon has stated as much. SHIELD's mission to "help people," as Whedon said, will entail dealing with the sort of chaos that ordinary people with extraordinary powers can create. Marvel's much-touted library of 5,000+ characters has many who would be great candidates for small roles in SHIELD.

For my part, I'm just glad that we're getting a SHIELD show at all. It's a terrific concept, one I described months ago as "The X-Files with superpowers." Like the aforementioned show, the relationships between the main characters will be central, but every week will see another challenge from a superhuman antagonist. Eventually, Marvel will do superhero-focused TV shows; AKA Jessica Jones would have come before SHIELD if Jeph Loeb wasn't such a hack. Maybe Jessica or another hero will get a backdoor pilot on SHIELD.

For my part, I'm just glad that we're getting a SHIELD show at all. It's a terrific concept, one I described months ago as "The X-Files with superpowers." Like the aforementioned show, the relationships between the main characters will be central, but every week will see another challenge from a superhuman antagonist.

This is what I *thought* Whedon was describing when he was talking about SHIELD. After the more recent comments, I'm no longer sure. As another poster said before, he doesn't think it's going to turn into CSI or Law & Order with a Marvel label slapped on it, but that's my main concern about it now.

As long as the universe it inhabits resembles the MCU, and you can tell superpowers are a part of it, I'm okay with it. If it's just Homeland or 24 by any other name, and the villains are all generic terrorists, drug lords, jewel thieves and serial killers, then I truly believe it's dead in the water before it starts and will not find an audience, neither among fanboys nor general Nielsen audiences. "Super(villain or hero) du jour" in an almost anthology-like setting, X-Files style, works; mundane agents vs. mundane crooks doesn't.

*That's* all I'm worried about. Is it okay for me to worry about *that,* folks? Or does somebody want to start Cherokee-Bashing Round 2? :dry:

This is what I *thought* Whedon was describing when he was talking about SHIELD. After the more recent comments, I'm no longer sure. As another poster said before, he doesn't think it's going to turn into CSI or Law & Order with a Marvel label slapped on it, but that's my main concern about it now.

As long as the universe it inhabits resembles the MCU, and you can tell superpowers are a part of it, I'm okay with it. If it's just Homeland or 24 by any other name, and the villains are all generic terrorists, drug lords, jewel thieves and serial killers, then I truly believe it's dead in the water before it starts and will not find an audience, neither among fanboys nor general Nielsen audiences. "Super(villain or hero) du jour" in an almost anthology-like setting, X-Files style, works; mundane agents vs. mundane crooks doesn't.

*That's* all I'm worried about. Is it okay for me to worry about *that,* folks? Or does somebody want to start Cherokee-Bashing Round 2? :dry:

With a shovel over your head suddenly, and then use your dead skeleton to start up the Mrs Bates Thanos charade at the motel again?

It'd always be far more like "fringe" than CSI obviously

SLJ himself expressed a strong interest in being involved with the show, if only via a voice-over like Charlie's Angels. He seemed so enthusiastic about it that it would be a shame not to take him up on it, and an insult if they got some D-lister to impersonate him. Fury could give Coulson directions for his team's missions and debrief him afterward. It wouldn't have to happen in every episode, of course, but the calls could provide a needed link back to the SHIELD of the movies.

On the matter of superhero involvement, there are certain to be appearances by minor heroes and villains from the comics. Whedon has stated as much. SHIELD's mission to "help people," as Whedon said, will entail dealing with the sort of chaos that ordinary people with extraordinary powers can create. Marvel's much-touted library of 5,000+ characters has many who would be great candidates for small roles in SHIELD.

For my part, I'm just glad that we're getting a SHIELD show at all. It's a terrific concept, one I described months ago as "The X-Files with superpowers." Like the aforementioned show, the relationships between the main characters will be central, but every week will see another challenge from a superhuman antagonist. Eventually, Marvel will do superhero-focused TV shows; AKA Jessica Jones would have come before SHIELD if Jeph Loeb wasn't such a hack. Maybe Jessica or another hero will get a backdoor pilot on SHIELD.
I agree with all of this and especially the bolded!:woot:

relaxxxxxxxxxxx buddy :woot: I think you are worrying over nothing. He hasn't said anything that suggests it will be like that

I'm still not understanding where you're getting that impression. Whedon specifically said “We’re trying very hard to be true to Marvel's ethos and also to the structure of their universe, so it is definitely a Marvel show.” Just because it's not going to have a ton of familiar faces from the comics doesn't mean it's going to become CSI/Law & Order: Marvel Edition, if anything it'll be more like Item 47 except more fleshed out. Joss is a huge comics fan, I'm sure there are a lot of characters/items/scenarios he'd love to pull from the comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"