Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no indication that Marvel won't go ahead with these shows still or at least Cloak and Dagger. My guess is Marvel is going to see how the S.H.I.E.L.D. goes and then if it does good they'll start green-lighting more shows same as how they're using Guardians as a testing ground for lesser known character movies.
That being said I do think J August Richards' character is a Marvel hero.

Sure, but what I think they may do is spin shows off from this one. Richards as Cloak could be spun off into a Cloak & Dagger show, just as they could spin off a Heroes for Hire show from this.

Sure, but what I think they may do is spin shows off from this one. Richards as Cloak could be spun off into a Cloak & Dagger show, just as they could spin off a Heroes for Hire show from this.
That's a definite possibility. Actually I would like if they did this. I just don't want them to only focus on this one show. I want them to use this as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Use this show as a testing ground for lesser characters that could work good in a TV show like how Smallville did.

Yeah again, I'd much prefer it if BP debuted on the big screen in true king fashion.

(But if and big IF it were BP I'd have a total mark out moment. :o)
I definitely want Panther to get a big screen treatment. Not saying a Panther show wouldn't be cool but he deserves to be on the big screen with the rest of the Avengers.
Now as much as I would love to see the original Heroes for Hire on the big screen making a H4H show could be good too. Also I think Daredevil could work really well as a TV show. Actually a lot of street level heroes could work as a TV show.
Characters I wouldn't mind having their own show:
Heroes for Hire (Luke and Iron Fist)
Daredevil
Cloak & Dagger
Mockingbird
Spider-Woman
Hawkeye
the list to be continued...

I don't want HFH, Hawkeye in it, as I think it would undermine them as movie characters.

It's strengthening the universe. Hawkeye making a guest appearance or two wouldn't undermine him as a movie character in the least. He's never going to be the lead in his own film/franchise, and even if he was, so what?

As for Heroes For Hire, I don't see them getting their own films either. At least not anytime soon. If anything, SHIELD could be a launching pad for their own series.

I don't want HFH, Hawkeye in it, as I think it would undermine them as movie characters.

It's strengthening the universe. Hawkeye making a guest appearance or two wouldn't undermine him as a movie character in the least. He's never going to be the lead in his own film/franchise, and even if he was, so what?

As for Heroes For Hire, I don't see them getting their own films either. At least not anytime soon. If anything, SHIELD could be a launching pad for their own series.
I said Hawkeye could make a cameo or get his own show because like Sawyer said I don't see Hawkeye ever leading a movie so this is a chance to expose him even more. People think of TV as how it used to be for superhero shows. If S.H.I.E.L.D. does what Marvel wants it to do which is change the game for superhero TV shows then having characters like these get their own series wouldn't be bad at all.

I hope Thomas Jane could show up in one episode as the Punisher. At least if they got him, he won't just seem like some TV version of the character.

Good call. That may be what all the "top secret role" hype is about --- they want to premiere Cloak & Dagger in SHIELD, and then spin off the C&D series that's been in development hell for quite awhile.

I always imagined someone like Leonard Roberts (Heroes), who was also in Buffy, as someone like Cloak, just because Cloak is a more boring character and he's a more boring actor. Richards is a little too interesting for Cloak, which is what they could be going for to give him greater appeal.

Honestly, if he's playing a superhero, I'd rather it be Luke Cage than Cloak. Luke Cage has a *lot* more viability in my mind both as a guest star and as a potential spinoff.

As for "harming movie prospects," if they put a character on the SHIELD TV show its probably because they *don't* intend to give them a movie any time in the forseeable future. Your choice is not "TV or Movie", its "TV or Nothing."

Honestly, if he's playing a superhero, I'd rather it be Luke Cage than Cloak. Luke Cage has a *lot* more viability in my mind both as a guest star and as a potential spinoff.

As for "harming movie prospects," if they put a character on the SHIELD TV show its probably because they *don't* intend to give them a movie any time in the forseeable future. Your choice is not "TV or Movie", its "TV or Nothing."

Not to mention that the SHIELD series could be used as a proving ground for superheroes/characters that Marvel is leery about using in films yet.

If they end up being received well on the show, then Marvel knows that they may have potential to be used in future films. In fact, it's for this reason that I would imagine actor's contracts for the SHIELD show would also stipulate potential appearances in Marvel films as well.

Richards doesn't seem like Luke Cage at all, unless they're going for Luke Cage-lite.

He's even more like Hypno Hustler than Cage.

Exactly. Hawkeye (at least this incarnation of the character) will never be a movie headliner in his own right, so the notion of "undermining" him as a movie character doesn't hold much water with me.

Also, I think some people are taking Joss' insistence that the show will be autonomous from the movie-verse a little too strictly. He also considered Angel an autonomous show from Buffy, because it did stand on its own with regards to its tone and story arcs, but the two shows had cross-over characters/events all the time. I'm quite confident that we'll not only get characters crossing over from the movie-verse, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if some superhero was introduced into the SHIELD show and eventually made the jump from there to the movie-verse. This is the perfect arena for them to test the waters and lay the groundwork for heroes they're not quite willing to gamble the costs of a solo movie on, but still want in an Avengers movie.

Last edited:
Plus Barton's a SHIELD agent, so it's like... what's the problem, exactly?

So that's the official title now? Groovy. Nice description, too.

Last edited:
Why is it calling it Marvel's Agents of SHIELD? That's a mouthful. I preferred just SHIELD. And Agents of SHIELD almost sounds like She Spies.

Most shows are just one word these days, like Smallville, Arrow, Revenge, Ringer, Twilight, Chuck, Castle, Elementary etc.

The "Agents Of" part does seem unnecessary, since I'm sure most will refer to it as just SHIELD anyway...

Well this isn't "most shows", it's new, hip, and different. :oldrazz:

Anyway, they call every thing having to do with SHIELD agents "Agents of SHIELD". When they were just calling it "SHIELD" I found it somewhat odd that they weren't using "Agents..." like usual, but it turns out that was just a working title. Nice.

Also, still too early for a section.

Someone pointed out that J. August Richards was in The Avengers. I don't know if it's true, but apparently he appears during the aftermath interviews. It'd be cool if his character in SHIELD ties into that.

Plus Barton's a SHIELD agent, so it's like... what's the problem, exactly?

One problem is that Renner is not likely to appear in the SHIELD show on a regular basis. He has three movie franchises percolating, two of which he headlines, plus other projects on the horizon. If someone other than Renner would be playing Hawkeye on the show then it would detract from the movie character. Marvel wouldn't bother to use the character if that were the case, however.

J. August Richards should've been Young Nick Fury.

One problem is that Renner is not likely to appear in the SHIELD show on a regular basis. He has three movie franchises percolating, two of which he headlines, plus other projects on the horizon. If someone other than Renner would be playing Hawkeye on the show then it would detract from the movie character. Marvel wouldn't bother to use the character if that were the case, however.
He doesn't have to appear regularly. But a drop-in from time to time is plausible. The rest of the time, they can write it off as him being on assignment/out in the field/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"