Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They better make it good, so to shut this pedantic a** up :o
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYVZjKgoKdg[/YT]

Your video didn't work.

how much of a romance/sex component will the show have, and involving what characters?

how much of a romance/sex component will the show have, and involving what characters?
We don't know that yet. Seems like there could be one established romance between Fitz and Simmons, but it's not clear.

I've been thinking big what kind of role the "higher-ups" at SHIELD (Maria Hill and Nick Fury) will have in this show, and I strongly suspect they may end up being like the Watcher's Council in Buffy - Constantly being reported to and talked about, but only making an actual appearance maybe once a season.

They've established Coulson as being high enough up the ranks that I don't think it'll be necessary to see them much. In The Avengers he seemed to be pretty much equal with Hill and below only Fury.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/...-ado-about-nothing-and-maybe-more-dr-horrible

Will 2013 finally be the year that Joss Whedon’s legion of fans get to sing along with the long-awaited sequel to his 2008 Internet sensation Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog starring Neil Patrick Harris, Felicia Day and Nathan Fillion? The geek pop polymath who gave us Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and a surprisingly successful indie about a band of superheroes no one had ever heard of called The Avengers made no promises when Entertainment Weekly caught up with him late last year, but he did say that putting a crooning Doogie back in a lab coat is on his “to do” list. “We really want to shoot it next year. We feel strong about the idea and we have a bunch of stuff written,” said Whedon, who is currently directing the pilot episode of Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. series while also writing the script for the sequel to The Avengers, plus prepping the release plan for his film adaptation of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing, due in theaters this summer. In between: The occasional napping.

Of course, Whedon will be back in front of fans on a weekly basis to some extent if Disney-owned ABC decides to pick up Disney-owned Marvel Studios’ first ever TV series, S.H.I.E.L.D., which will chronicle the adventures of agents that serve the secret spy agency that polices Marvel’s dangerous, strange world. In fact, one factor slowing the development of a Dr. Horrible sequel is the fact that two of Whedon’s key collaborators – brother Jed and Tancharoen — are working with him on S.H.I.E.L.D. Should the show go to series, the couple (who are married) will serve as day-to-day showrunners with another friend/associate, Jeffrey Bell (Angel). Says Whedon: “One of the great things about having worked for so damn long is that there are so many people that I truly trust.” He says he will work on the ongoing series “as my schedule allows,” helping the team brainstorm stories in addition to the usual exec producer/overseer stuff of reviewing and approving cuts of episodes. ”I have to maintain a fine balance between not hurting The Avengers, which is my number one priority right now, and not be the guy who shows up once a month and undoes everything that’s been done by everyone else.” Sometimes, that can happen unintentionally, by dint of Joss being Joss. He elaborates by telling a story from the show that made him a pop culture heavyweight. ”Back when I was doing Buffy, I made a joke once. I said, ‘We’re going to do leprechauns! It’s going to be the best episode ever!’ And Marti Noxon, who just started as a staff writer, came back three days later and said, ‘I spent three days doing research on leprechauns.’ And I was like: What the f— are you talking about?’”

I cannot wait for this show! I wonder if we could get a pilot in May, perhaps a week or so after the release of IM3?

I'd bet anything the first public screening of the pilot will be at SDCC

Probably right, I was just hoping we'd get a pilot early and then the series would pick up in the fall.

hopefully the show gets picked up for 5 seasons.

Some topics that I thought would be fun to speculate on.

Coulson lives!!!
Possible options:

1. Loki killed an LMD?
2. Coulson comes back as an LMD?
3. Coulson appears in only flashbacks?
4. Coulson appears only in the pilot, which is, in itself, partially a flashback?
5. Coulson is recovering somewhere in some SHIELD medical facility while Cap and Stark light candles in his honor, leading them to find out the truth in the near future and seek righteous retribution on Fury?
6. Vision!?!?!
7. Reject the events of The Avengers and set the SHIELD show in an alternate universe... Earth 200001, perhaps?
8. Whedon surprises us with some really cool, organic, hitherto unspeculated mechanism to explain Coulson's place among the land of the living?

I am, of course, rooting for the last option. I find the other theories (for the most part written in jest) as more or less 'meh'.

"You've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet."
This IMO is the $1,000,000 question. On one hand, most of the anticipation surrounding the show is tied into how the show ties into the larger MCU. On the other hand, too much unnecessary exposition and setting up of events outside of the show's boundaries could shackle the show, much like it did for the weaker parts of Iron Man 2 (post-drunk Iron Man/War Machine fight, pre-expo).

Heroes
I think one of the biggest questions here is whether the SHIELD show will be used to portray superheroes that aren't a part of the MCU yet. I believe the SHIELD show will definitely throw out some heroes to gauge audience reaction, but to what degree exactly? Could the show introduce the likes of Luke Cage and Iron Fist? What about Ms. Captain Marvel? SWORD?

Narrative structure
Will the show be primarily episodic or will it be more continuous in structure? I think a mix of both would be ideal. Individual episodes could have narrative arcs of their own, with broader, more overarching story arcs that stretch over longer periods. One 'big bad' (entity or organization) per season, for example.

Clark Gregg ‏@clarkgregg
Just had a costume fitting for a new show I'm doing. Man, it felt good to put on that suit. #SHIELD

Clark Gregg ‏@clarkgregg
Just had a costume fitting for a new show I'm doing. Man, it felt good to put on that suit. #SHIELD

tumblr_mag8smSjDh1rotk23.gif

The only explanation that makes any sense is that the show begins before the events of TA. The first season finale can deal with his death, or they can save it for season 2.

The only explanation that makes any sense is that the show begins before the events of TA. The first season finale can deal with his death, or they can save it for season 2.

There are several explanations for Coulson's survival that make sense within the context of the Marvel (Cinematic) Universe. You might not like them, but they are options that Whedon can use.

Maybe he provides training videos for new recruits

I had a dream last night that they made a Daredevil and the Heroes for Hire show after Avengers 2 was released. Previously I had thought this was a good idea but after waking up I was actually quite disappointed that it was only a dream. In my dream it was made obvious that it was a 70s period show. Dealing directly with Matt Murdock's career as a lawyer, Frank Castle (played by Thomas Jane, awesome :D) as a vigilante and Luke Cage/Iron Fist as private investigators. Obviously their escapades overlapped by both day and night. The workaday lives provided plenty of filler between the action scenes (a lot of talking lol) and the costumes weren't by any means dazzling. But the dynamic seemed sound.

This show will be set pre-Iron Man. Mark my words.

This show will be set pre-Iron Man. Mark my words.

I doubt it.
It's possible, of course, but the whole pre-IM era of the MCU is a big gray area. Yes, Fury hints that there's already other superheroes (and presumably villains) in the world besides Tony, but the way the IM movies play out, it makes it seem that he's the only widely known one. Pre-Avengers, Hulk is just seen as a monster; Cap is long since missing and presumed dead; and I'm not sure how well-publicized "The Punta Viejo Incident" in Thor would have been --- could've been perceived as just another Roswell-ian encounter involving aliens in New Mexico, with skeptics lined up on one side and true believers on the other.

So I think it'd be hard to develop a SHIELD series based around superheroes and villains *before* Avengers, unless it's all hush-hush like X-Files.

I doubt it.
It's possible, of course, but the whole pre-IM era of the MCU is a big gray area. Yes, Fury hints that there's already other superheroes (and presumably villains) in the world besides Tony, but the way the IM movies play out, it makes it seem that he's the only widely known one. Pre-Avengers, Hulk is just seen as a monster; Cap is long since missing and presumed dead; and I'm not sure how well-publicized "The Punta Viejo Incident" in Thor would have been --- could've been perceived as just another Roswell-ian encounter involving aliens in New Mexico, with skeptics lined up on one side and true believers on the other.

So I think it'd be hard to develop a SHIELD series based around superheroes and villains *before* Avengers, unless it's all hush-hush like X-Files.

You just described exactly why the series WILL be set pre-Iron Man.

Here's some basic reasons...

1. Coulson can still be alive without any "back from the dead" weirdness.

2. Setting the series before Tony becomes Iron Man, Thor arrives on Earth, Hulk is found by Ross, or Captain America is thawed out prevents the show from having to explain why these characters (ie expensive actors) aren't making appearances.

3. As you stated, pre-Iron Man MCU is a big gray area with lots of room to tell stories without having to worry about how you're affecting the current ongoings in the MCU. If they set it alongside Phase 2, they have to worry about stories being in keeping with the current movies. Obviously they can't set it after Phase 2 because they don't want to write their future movies into corners.

4. Fury told Stark he wasn't the only superhero in the world at the end of Iron Man. This means that SHIELD is aware of other heroes while the world at large is not. Obviously there are stories to be told here.

All that's true, of course; I just don't want to see film continuity get skagged if the SHIELD show tries to introduce some major superhero or supervillain, because then it becomes an issue of why wasn't this guy in the Phase I films; why did Tony act like he was the only super out there when here's this widely known superhero/villain roaming around; why wasn't this guy invited into the Avengers; etc.

Like I said, they'd have to pretty much take an X-Files approach to it, and try to cover up the existence of supers to the outside world.

All that's true, of course; I just don't want to see film continuity get skagged if the SHIELD show tries to introduce some major superhero or supervillain, because then it becomes an issue of why wasn't this guy in the Phase I films; why did Tony act like he was the only super out there when here's this widely known superhero/villain roaming around; why wasn't this guy invited into the Avengers; etc.

Like I said, they'd have to pretty much take an X-Files approach to it, and try to cover up the existence of supers to the outside world.

Well, that's exactly what they'll do. I'm sure SHIELD will showcase many lesser-known heroes and villains, most (or all) of which would not be creating problems on a mass scale and therefore probably not know to the public, or at the very least non very well-known.

Like that was ever an option... :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back