Doctor Who - Regeneration 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad the movie is not connected to the TV series. If it is terrible then it can easily be discarded with no impact on canon and if its great then it can continue to have sequels that are not dependant on whats happening in the series at the time.
However I would rather not have a film at all.

Wow, I did NOT see this coming! I like David Yates, I trust that he could pull together something decent - but my gut reaction is: This is a bad idea. Why do a movie that starts the Whoniverse from scratch, creating a separate continuity, when the show (and the show's continuity is confusing enough on its own, by the way :funny:) is more popular on both sides of hte pond than ever? It's just needlessly confusing. Besides, "Doctor Who" isn't a show that feels painfully cheap anymore; it conveys more than enough scale when it wants to convey scale. I'm not writing this project off - and even if I do, I know I'll still see it - nor the idea of having an American writer, even if that American writer is, gasp!, Steve Kloves (whose Harry Potter scripts were always very good to me). But word isn't entirely encouraging.

Maybe the 11th doctor in the series can make a quick comment

"They even made a movie about me!"

In the end if they do make a movie then it will be this generations version of the Peter Cushing movies.

That'd be interesting, but you'd have to stick to Susan and him. I just don't see the need for it having to be seperate from the TV series. The history is actually what makes the franchise memorable and noteworthy.

Agreed.

Doctor Who doesn't need a film and I don't think Doctor Who would really work as one. The nature of doctor who is episodic which can't be done easily within the medium of film.

I have mixed feelings on the decision to take it out of continuity. If it's **** (which I feel it will be) then at least it can be easily discarded as non canon. But if it's good, it'll still wouldn't feel like "doctor who" to me. A massive part of Doctor Who is it's history.

I pray they don't do an origin story.

Can't they just do the movie after Scott Bakula kills this franchise too?

Am I nuts to think that the movie should bridge the gap between Doctors 8 & 9? Bring back Paul McGann!

Am I nuts to think that the movie should bridge the gap between Doctors 8 & 9? Bring back Paul McGann!

Within the Doctor Who history, that's the era that would make the most sense for this because we saw so little of McGann's Doctor (yes, I know he's done many audio plays/books/adventures), so there's the most room to play and the least continuity to worry about stepping on, and McGann's an established/respected actor who's already accepted as one of the Doctors.

I've long wanted to see the Time War done as a feature film; certainly scope/scale wouldn't be an issue there, and I don't think it would be overly burdened with continuity. Yes, The Doctor and the Daleks have a history, but in the end, all that would matter is that the Time Lords and the Daleks are at the center of a horrible war for time itself. That would probably mean Eccleston more than McGann, but perhaps there could be a regeneration involved, go from one to the other, especially if the Time War is shown as lasting years.

Of course, I haven't delved into all the ancillary stuff, just the Doctor Who TV show, so I don't know if the Time War has been covered in any novels or comics or anything.

I thought it was genuinely accepted that Paul McGann fought in the war and the last act that ended the war caused his regeneration. I know that has never been said and/or seen but I thought that is what fans agreed on for now?

But really I wasn't thinking of the Time War, I was just wanting more McGann stories.

In the audios, McGann's Doctor is too soft to have done the thing that ended the Time War. He doesn't have genocide in him, even when pushed to the edge.

I prefer to think the 8th Doctor regenerated during the war, and it was the new, emotionally hardened 9th Doctor that committed the final act.

I thought it was "the act" that caused 9th to be quite so emotionally hardened.

I expect the act* didn't help his demeanor any.

*Seriously, at least tell us what exactly the Doctor did. I know they implied it was a Delta Wave like what he nearly used on Earth, but you'd think something a little more complicated was used if he can't even attempt to cross his own timeline. Not to mention Gallifrey existed in the future, yet present day aliens act like it existed so long ago that it's faded from memory.

*Seriously, at least tell us what exactly the Doctor did. I know they implied it was a Delta Wave like what he nearly used on Earth, but you'd think something a little more complicated was used if he can't even attempt to cross his own timeline. Not to mention Gallifrey existed in the future, yet present day aliens act like it existed so long ago that it's faded from memory.
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

:woot:

Now if you really wanted to dedicate yourself to the joke, you'd have your next several post go through the entire transcript from that episode.

Moffat once again says the next season will be longer than usual

In the new DWM Moffat confirms that when shooting finally does finally begin again next year it will be for the longest ever continuous production run.

Unclear right now whether this will take Matt Smith into the anniversary year

Gallifrey existed in a bubble outside of time. Thus no matter what time you are in in the universe it is always "now" on Gallifrey. Once it is gone it is gone from everywhere at once so it never existed.

In the audios, McGann's Doctor is too soft to have done the thing that ended the Time War. He doesn't have genocide in him, even when pushed to the edge.

I prefer to think the 8th Doctor regenerated during the war, and it was the new, emotionally hardened 9th Doctor that committed the final act.

I think it works better when it is the once soft, meek and benevolent 8th doctor who is the one that is forced to destroy billions of lives. Adds a touch of irony. I like to think whatever destroyed gallifrey and the participants of the time war simultaneously forced the doctor to regenerate. So the very last act that 8 did was genocide (and technically suicide, sorta). That leaves 9 waking up, all alone and wondering what the hell he's just done. Cue emotionally hardened bitterness.

Also it makes the 8th doctor a bit more special. Instead of being merely the "TV Movie" doctor, he's the doctor that instigated the event which has pretty much shaped New Who. Gives 8 more weight than he would have otherwise.

Last edited:
cin_2011_wallpaper_01a.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_111117_01/The_Christmas_Special

Fingers crossed that it's another feel-good special. I like my Christmas specials to end with the day saved and everyone happy, not the Doctor sulking away after yet another genocide/massacre where the snow might or might not just be ash.

I finally got to the 10th Doctor specials and... well...I'm not feeling them... even though, I hope The End of Time to be absolutely f**king badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"