Dr Strange box office prediction thread

Think more than 600 mio worldwide... max. 800 mio!

This could be Benedict's Iron Man.

So I see it making more than Winter Soldier's 250ish and less than Guardians' 330ish

Therefore between 270-290 domestic and 500 internationally with a total of over $700 million worldwide

Last edited:
Lol we predicting RT score and CinemaScore too?

OW: $120M
Dom: $270M
Int: $500M
WW: $770M
RT: 90%
CinemaScore: A+

I'd certainly love numbers like that, but I'm still waiting for the trailer to make my guess. :p

Why not.

OW: $80M
Dom: $190M
Int: $350M
WW: $540M
RT: 67%
CinemaScore: B+

How long is this poll open? I'd like to see the trailer first and how well it does on YouTube.

You guys need meds.

This ain't making Guardians money.

/devil's advocate

Early reactions to the trailer are curb stomping GoTG early reactions. I see GoTG's total as a best case, and Ant-Man's as a worst case scenario.

How popular is Cumberbatch internationally? That could be a big factor. I know for one he's obviously a big figure in the UK.

How popular is Cumberbatch internationally? That could be a big factor. I know for one he's obviously a big figure in the UK.

Well, Sherlock is very popular internationally and the recent special even got a theatrical release. It made $24M in China and $8.3M in South Korea, which I think is pretty impressive for a TV special. I'm not sure how much this translates to Cumberbatch fandom but it certainly can't hurt that foreign audiences are familiar with him. I think the movie will do fine overseas, certainly better than Ant-Man which had a lot of humor that didn't translate well.

Hmm, IMDB doesn't show a Chinese release yet. OTOH, those don't usually get decided until much nearer, IIRC.

I say 600 on the low end. 700 on the high.

OW: $114M

DOM: $285M

Int: $510M

WW: $795M

RT: 88%

CinemaScore: A+

depends of trailers. they need to put trailers in front of any action/sf movies to have a big financial hit. because dr strange is not so popular like others characters

My range 500M - 700M

The $600-700 million range sounds right to me. I think it'll do better than Ant-Man but not as good as GOTG.

I didn't realize China had a fairly odd rule about not allowing Western films with ghosts until I saw they're not letting Sony release Ghostbusters over there. Also looked up recent horror flicks with ghosts and none of them seemed to have been released in China. Any concerns this rule might be enforced with Dr Strange or you guys think Marvel will find a way around it? Ancient One race swap was in all likelihood partially influenced by Chinese politics, can't image Marvel failed to do their homework on this one.

I didn't realize China had a fairly odd rule about not allowing Western films with ghosts until I saw they're not letting Sony release Ghostbusters over there. Also looked up recent horror flicks with ghosts and none of them seemed to have been released in China. Any concerns this rule might be enforced with Dr Strange or you guys think Marvel will find a way around it? Ancient One race swap was in all likelihood partially influenced by Chinese politics, can't image Marvel failed to do their homework on this one.

If anyone would try and find a way around this, it'd be Disney.

As I understand it, they aren't hard rules so much as "rules"/guidelines. Which is to say, they get invoked or bent to the extent the corrupt system feels like bending them.

It probably will depend on whether the Disney reps feel like burning the influence to get it done.

When Ancient One punches Strange's sould out of his body, doesn't that make him a ghost? Would China ban the movie for that?

Disney and especially Bob Iger have a very good relationship with the Chinese government. And considering the direction of the Ancient One, they must have already took the Chinese in to confidence, and set the ground rules in regards to what it would require to get a Chinese release. Nothing to worry about.

I think around $800m. I think wom will be terrific, 3d visuals will ensure repeat viewings at premium price and the buzz appears to be building. Which should all lead to great legs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"