Dr Strange box office prediction thread

Box Office Pro has their Long Range Forecast up for Dr. Strange:

Opening Weekend $88,000,000
Cumulative $255,000,000

The website is definitely hit or miss on its predictions, but that would be a damn good result.

That is not really for off my own predictions. That would indeed be an excellent result making Doctor Strange the highest grossing solo origin movie in the MCU (domestically that is) aside from Iron Man, beating TTDW in the process and getting real close to CATWS numbers.
It's a little bit on the optimistic side of things (a 2.9 multiplier on a 80M+ opening week end does not happen all that often in the genre) and would require the movie to be extremely well received (and marketing to pick up some steam) but not impossible either.

Yeah, the profile of the actors involved will give it a fairly nice bump over Ant-Man.

Being swayed by personal observations here. Not seeing a speck of buzz on this one anywhere. Heck...I haven't given it much thought until just today. I do want to see it, but I wonder how much appeal it has. Dr Strange has always seemed like a niche character to me.

Going with OW similar to Ant-Man with a lower total around 150-160. And WW between 400-500 unless the "spectacle" is a big seller overseas like with other movies. It will be good enough to get the character established though. It worked for the Hulk, Cap, and Thor.

Being swayed by personal observations here. Not seeing a speck of buzz on this one anywhere. Heck...I haven't given it much thought until just today. I do want to see it, but I wonder how much appeal it has. Dr Strange has always seemed like a niche character to me.

Going with OW similar to Ant-Man with a lower total around 150-160. And WW between 400-500 unless the "spectacle" is a big seller overseas like with other movies. It will be good enough to get the character established though. It worked for the Hulk, Cap, and Thor.

I think it will gross more than Ant-Man worldwide IMO especially Asia and North America. Unlike Ant-Man, Doctor Strange has more appeal and everything else. Also unlike Ant-Man where it first overseas weekend was being released simultaneously with North America, Doctor Strange first weekend overseas will be released before North America next weekend, the example being UK on October 25, while North America gets it November 4. We will have one final trailer and if it is good, then it will go well. Releasing overseas early will allow for WOM to spread and North America will catch it. Also according to Deadline.com here from one of their articles here:http://deadline.com/2016/08/fall-box-office-doctor-strange-sully-magnificent-seven-1201810337/, quotes, "RelishMix reports that the Benedict Cumberbatch movie has the largest social media universe among those titles hitting the screen before Fantastic Beasts with 92M. Doctor Strange video elements are being passed around at an enormous rate of 46 to 1 (the average is 10 to 1). " I think that because of such factors, it will potentially do better than Ant-Man.

In 2015, Spectre fought off The Peanuts Movie and Spotlight to gross 200 million at the domestic BO.

In 2014, Interstellar grossed 188 million competing against Big Hero 6 and The Theory of Everything.

T:TDW opened during the same time in 2013 and had an OW of 85 million and eventually ended up with 206 million in domestic markets. The multiplier being 2.42.

Dr. Strange also opens against similar competition with Trolls and Hacksaw Ridge. So I would say Dr. Strange will have an OW of 75-80 million and with a 2.5 multiplier, it ends up with 195-200 million in the domestic BO.

* Ant-Man opened with 57 million and I think Dr. Strange should do considerably better, hence the 75-80 million OW *

Ant-Man's int'l gross is 340 million and T:TDW's int'l gross is 440 million. Then Dr. Strange should do about 410-420 million.

WW total - 200+415 = 615 million.

Last edited:
If it does 500M+ WW, I will be content.

Doctor Strange is my favorite Marvel character so I'm through the roof with excitement on this. I'm going to go a bit conservative, but if it can make more than $500 million ww I'll be very happy as well. I hope to see it become a breakout hit.

$60 mil OW
$170 domestic
$320 foreign
$490 WW

490M WW seems low. It should be able to clear 600M with no problem.

Based on the latest trailer, I say around $600 million.

I would guess between 600 and 650, unless it gets rave reviews.

I think Doctor Strange, with Ant-Man level reviews, breaks past 200 M domestic, and does maybe 380 M foreign.

boxoffice pro is predicting an 88 m opening and a 255 million domestic total based on the data accumulated thus far. The numbers are goint to go up the closer we get to release. So even if the reviews are bad/mediocre, this will likely do the minimum of Ant-Man's 512 million. I think it will do anywhere between 650 -750 million.

Last edited:
When will early/critic reviews be out? I haven't heard anything about reviews yet and It's out in 15 days over here.

I really hope it makes over 500m but I think 600m is a bit to high. Actually I'm playing it wayyyyyyyy safe and saying 450m. That way, the higher it goes, the more impressed I am.:sly:

When will early/critic reviews be out? I haven't heard anything about reviews yet and It's out in 15 days over here.

I really hope it makes over 500m but I think 600m is a bit to high. Actually I'm playing it wayyyyyyyy safe and saying 450m. That way, the higher it goes, the more impressed I am.:sly:
It looks like the Hollywood premiere is on October 20th so I'd assume early reviews will start coming shortly before or after that. I'm sort of surprised we haven't heard more about the film from people who've attended test screenings. I know the buzz built around CW after test screenings so I don't know what to expect with almost none of that for Doctor Strange.

not surprised

not sure how well its gonna do since fantastic beasts comes out 2 week later and thats gonna crush at the BO

Well, two weeks between tent poles is better treatment than what Mister Doctor would receive if it were a summer release. And Marvel has the preferable release date, as we don't know how many folks will be watching two magic themed films within the same month.

There have been five comic book based films this year so far, six if you count the new Ninja Turtles. I don't see why people would tire of seeing more than one in a year any more than seeing two magic themed films in the same month, particularly given Harry Potter's fan base. If the marketing and audience are there, people will show up.

not surprised

not sure how well its gonna do since fantastic beasts comes out 2 week later and thats gonna crush at the BO

I'm thinking an OW of 78-80 million and a final domestic tally of 205-210 million.

This is getting a lot of buzz for it's visuals and I'm guessing the story and the actors will do a fine job to keep viewers interested. So I'm thinking the multiplier for this movie should be close to 2.6. Which is better than BvS, CA:CW, X:MA and SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"