Duncan Jones' Warcraft - Part 3

Saw Mute last night. Starting to think Moon was a fluke.

Less fluke, more all about how good Rockwell is in it. Starting to feel like he carries a very meh film, too something rather entertaining.

Source Code was very enjoyable. Not everything has to be teh gr8test eva so I'll still watch what he makes.

Source Code was very enjoyable. Not everything has to be teh gr8test eva so I'll still watch what he makes.
Who ever made the argument something has to be the greatest ever to be enjoyable?

I'll give Jones credit, he somehow managed to make Kevin Spacey (at least in voice form) seem empathetic to the suffering of others...that's a feat.

blind bought it last week on blu ray for cheap I have yet to see it I hope to see it soon

I'll give Jones credit, he somehow managed to make Kevin Spacey (at least in voice form) seem empathetic to the suffering of others...that's a feat.

Many a man has his American Beauty character as their spirit animal.

I wonder what changes he was forced to make due to politics. I did interview Jones before the film came out, and he did go on talking about how he made Durotan's wife a more significant character in the film, and she originally wasn't going to be in it as much. It seems like before it came out he was willing to talk about how much creative control he had over the film and made it seem like he had a lot.

IMHO the film is very messy, but not just in terms of editing. Bad acting and casting choices all around.

I will say a few things. While watching the film, the Alliance is downright virtuous and innocuous compared to the Horde. The Horde are pretty much made out to be an evil invading army who rape and pillage the land. The Alliance are not hateful at all, and the queen even gently treats Garona as a friend and they try to recruit her. IMHO, it just didn't feel realistic if they were trying to make a more evenhanded war film. The Horde very much came off as bloodthirsty, evil, horrible bad guys OTHER than Durotan and his friends.

The trailers make it look like the Alliance is going to team up with Durotan and his tribe to fight against Gul'dan but that never really happens. The one human bad guy is because he was possessed by a demon.

Warcraft has always seemed to me like a 3 hour film that was gutted in the editing room. Similar to Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven and Exodus. The bad acting is of course the fault of the actors and the director, but I think there were studio execs demanding the film be simplified and shortened to appeal to the general audience that aren't warcraft fans.

It'd be fine if he was just kind of a solid journeyman director, but Warcraft was fairly bad and Mute is an outright disaster.

Hollywood has far more good directors than it has decent writers...or rather it's much easier to get a crummy writer.

Jones is not a writer, but his direction is still worth its salt especially in the case of this one.

I haven't watched Mute yet, is it really that bad?

Glenn Close cameo is still the only good thing in Warcraft.

I havent seen Warcraft since I saw it on Redbox but I remember liking it despite it having flaws. But now i cant help but think that maybe Warcraft had the potential to be a damn good fantasy epic had it been in the hands of a better director or maybe just a better script? damn shame really, Id love to have seen Arthas and the Death Knights on screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"