Duncan Jones' Warcraft - Part 3

This is what The Numbers says:

Warcraft was pushed into second place with $42.0 million in 57 markets for totals of $339.0 million internationally and $372.3 million worldwide. The film's biggest market is China, where it added $24.34 million over the weekend for a 13-day total of $205.37 million. That was still enough for first place in that market, but it was also 63% lower than its opening weekend there. Its biggest new market of the weekend was Mexico, where it managed second place with $2.68 million. It also opened in second place in Australia with $2.50 million on 430 screens. The film won't last much longer in China and might earn more in China than the rest of the world combined. Since studios only get about 25% of the Chinese box office, the film might not break even any time soon.

So no sequel

That's a bit of exposure of the myth of the magical big overseas grosses. Studios don't get as much money back on those returns.

such a shame about the box office, would have been great to have seen The Frozen Throne on screen.

This is going to be interesting. I guess they could try and justify a sequel, but that would ignore the reaction, lack of legs, and the fact that will probably lose money here. Would a sequel make more?

This is going to be interesting. I guess they could try and justify a sequel, but that would ignore the reaction, lack of legs, and the fact that will probably lose money here. Would a sequel make more?
They should take whatever money they make and run. No need to make an expensive sequel guaranteed to make less than the original.

I kinda wanna see Thrall. I wish they'd have skipped all this pre history. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

A lot of it will be down to how much extra Wanda was able to make off of it in China. I don't see how Legendary by itself can justify it. Pacific Rim did better in most other regions outside of China.

Warcraft: This Is How Much Money the Film Will Lose Even with Massive Success in China

By Steve Watts

Warcraft will end up losing around $15 million, less than it would have if not for a strong showing in China.
THR says that the film, which was budgeted at $160 million, may lose $30-40 million according to industry execs, but a digital rights deal for China at the unusually-high amount of $24 million, and a $20 million merchandising pact, help offset the loss. Though the loss is smaller than expected after a dismal domestic showing, it is still a deficit.

The U.S. release bombed, making only $46.6 million. The rest of its total $430 million global gross came from international sales, and more than half of that was from China alone.
The loss will be shared among the film's co-financers: Legendary Pictures, Universal, and three Chinese ventures including Tencent.
“You’re almost better off just making it for the Chinese audience,” said analyst Eric Handler. “It did okay in some other markets where the game was big--including Germany and France--but China really saved the day.”
All that leads to the conclusion that if a sequel is made, it would probably be geared toward Asian markets.
A big opening in China gave way to massive continued success in the country, ultimately making it the most successful video game adaptation of all time.

The only question is, how much did Wanda make from the Chinese theaters...

This movie is ok. As someone who has never played the games I found the film easy to follow although I feel like there was probably a lot stuff that was for Warcraft fans that went over non-players heads.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLTs5BKNFqo[/YT]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLTs5BKNFqo
new deleted scene.

Grom is jacked!
Just an FYI TBG, when using the YT tags to post a video, you don't need to put the full URL of the video in between the tags, just the video ID, so in the long form of the URL - just what's after the "v=" (or, if you're using the shortened 'shared' link form, it's what's after the youtu.be/)

So in your case, the vid ID is the wLTs5BKNFqo part of the URL.

Put just that between the YT tags like so:

[MEDIA=youtube]wLTs5BKNFqo[/MEDIA]

and you get

As for the content of the scene - they should have left this in :dry:

When does this come out on Blu-Ray? I still want to see it, even though I don't expect much.

Jesus, why oh why do they cut stuff like this...... :(

Just an FYI TBG, when using the YT tags to post a video, you don't need to put the full URL of the video in between the tags, just the video ID, so in the long form of the URL - just what's after the "v=" (or, if you're using the shortened 'shared' link form, it's what's after the youtu.be/)

So in your case, the vid ID is the wLTs5BKNFqo part of the URL.

Put just that between the YT tags like so:

[MEDIA=youtube]wLTs5BKNFqo[/MEDIA]

and you get

As for the content of the scene - they should have left this in :dry:

Thank you! I've been wracking my head around trying to figure it out! Now I just gotta remember!

Jesus, why oh why do they cut stuff like this...... :(

Yeah it was such a great scene. Nice character development.

*Grom Flexes*

Orgrin "Yes but your green....hahaaha"

That extra scene was good, but I mean, the Orcs were not really the biggest problem of the film.

I think not only was the marketing misleading, but I think Duncan Jones was misleading about the story of the film.

I think honestly, had they just made some sort of CG companion movie like Kingsglaive, that would've been more beneficial to the franchise.

For example, with Overwatch, instead of a live-action movie, just make an animated CG movie or animated series like those shorts. Have Blizzard do everything so we know we are getting the material from the Blizzard team and assets.

That extra scene was good, but I mean, the Orcs were not really the biggest problem of the film.
Yea, IMO, orcs were the best part of the film.

For example, with Overwatch, instead of a live-action movie, just make an animated CG movie or animated series like those shorts. Have Blizzard do everything so we know we are getting the material from the Blizzard team and assets.
This exactly. I'm still waiting and hope they'll make it happen. Their Overwatch videos are amazing, they should just make a CG film and put it into the theaters.

“Warcraft 2” Could Skip US Cinemas Altogether

By
Garth Franklin -

Tuesday, August 30th 2016 3:54 am
http://cdn2.darkhorizons.com/wp-con...rcraft-2-could-skip-us-cinemas-altogether.jpg

In years past there’s been examples of films from “Pacific Rim” to “The Adventures of Tintin” that have been ‘saved’ by international box-office returns so robust that they negate the harmful impact of a soft domestic bow.
When Duncan Jones’ $160 million “Warcraft” film opened and made a grand total of $47 million at the domestic box office, the talk of an obvious flop was there – at least until the international numbers came in. Not only did the film do well in many overseas territories, in China alone it pulled in $220.8 million. To date it holds the record for the biggest disparity between domestic and foreign receipts of any studio film with only 10.9% of its $433 million worldwide box-office coming from the United States.
The Chinese success has effectively greenlit a sequel and now it has been suggested that the new film could be the first English-language movie from an American production company that will get a theatrical release in China and not the Unitied States.
Speaking with The Wrap, Stroock & Stroock & Lavan partner Sky Moore spoke about U.S.-China co-production deals and revealed the possibility of making the follow-up film a much more Chinese production: “Who says it needs to have American actors? I would suspect that the sequel would be more China-centric. It’s very possible it wouldn’t be released here [in the United States].”
Moore says as the Chinese market continues to grow, people should “expect more remakes in China of movies that did well there and not-so-well here. It’s a big enough market.”
“Warcraft” had several advantages in its favor – from Legendary’s acquisition by China’s Dalian Wanda Group which is also China’s largest movie theater operator, to the film getting a massive social media marketing push, to the fact that the country is estimated to be home to about half the world’s ‘World of Warcraft’ players which gives it a built-in fanbase.
No word on when a “Warcraft” sequel might go into production at this point.

A China-centric sequel... :dry: Just let it go. The dream is dead. Now let's all move on to Assassin's Creed and see how that one manages to fail.

Last edited:
Duncan Jones wants to keep the ‘Warcraft’ movie franchise alive.

http://heroichollywood.com/duncan-jones-wants-warcraft-movie-franchise-alive/

Jones said the following during an interview with Thrillist:

“If there were an opportunity for us to make another film in the Warcraft universe, I really feel like we did the hard work in the first movie as far as setting the table. I would love to capitalize on three-and-a-half years of hard work and be able to have some fun in that world now that I’ve done the hard work. Who knows? Maybe I’m just being a masochist.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"