Duncan Jones' Warcraft - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said "scary" because this is apparently shocking to many fans of the series. They will swear on the originality of the series. But if you show them piece by piece, it becomes more apparent. A series which does in fact have two of my favorite games of all time, so I have nothing against it.

Okay, I follow you now. I should have gone further back in your comments and the context would have been much more clear. :cwink:

What I'm getting at is that I should play Uncharted cause I've yet to play any of them since I never had a PS2 or 3.

It's pretty terribad.

If one loves the game/universe, then you'll understand what is going on. Probably. I guess.

Again you were the one harranguing people to "form their own opinions" and then you point out someone's opinion you trust when you yourself haven't seen the film. Many people have critics whose perspectives they trust just the same.

No, I said I felt I could trust the man and valued his opinion as a fellow moviegoer. I never said I trusted his opinion and it has nothing to do with not having seen the film yet - in fact I pointed out that it would not influence my decision on whether or not to go see it.

The pattern here is you latched on to someone whose opinion confirmed your own expectations.

There is no "pattern" - nor have I "latched" on to anyone. I simply pointed out a person of value as opposed to a "professional". And I have no expectations of the film whatsoever - I only know it is video game franchise with medieval influences. This I pointed out in my very first post when I asked if it was based on a story and characters from the game or whether it an original story using elements from the game.

The difference between most casual posters posting a review and a really good critic posting a review is that both can say that they like a movie but a great writer can articulate why. They can harness a knowledge of writing and the filmmaking process and really dig into the mechanics at work. Its not just "I like the characters" its delving into how the setup and payoff of the story help provide characterization and depth. Read some of FilmCritHulk's work sometime.

Being able to articulate your opinions does not make them any more value than someone who cannot - it just means you talk and write. ;)

As I said above, a discussion is not a review. A discussion is people talking about their opinions with other people. That is something worthwhile. A "professional" review is not because there is no debate, it is just one guy waffling.

It's pretty terribad.

If one loves the game/universe, then you'll understand what is going on. Probably. I guess.

So if you have never played the game, you won't be able to follow the story?

That doesn't seem likely and makes about as much sense as the people who criticise the Star Wars Prequels for it "complex politics" and "confusing talk of taxation".:whatever:

I love the idea of seeing a ton of films, studying it, loving it, understanding it, is some sort of mark against you. :funny:

I love the idea of seeing a ton of films, studying it, loving it, understanding it, is some sort of mark against you. :funny:

No it isn't.

It just isn't a real job ;)

But fair play to them for making a career out of it.

Hanging on their every word however, is not something a person should do.

Plus, how much "love" is really in "professional" reviews. I'm told a lot that critics come across as sour and just eager to rip into films.

So if you have never played the game, you won't be able to follow the story?

That doesn't seem likely and makes about as much sense as the people who criticise the Star Wars Prequels for it "complex politics" and "confusing talk of taxation".:whatever:
There is nothing complex or confusing about the "plot" of the prequels. It is simply extremely stupid and devoid of reason to the point of boredom.

If this film keeps throwing random characters, ideas and names at you without the connective tissue that one would expect in a film, I can see how it can easily be confusing. Making the LotR was not easy. There is a reason it was a once in a generation event.

The problem of the prequels that it confuses storytelling with 'plot telling'.

No it isn't.

It just isn't a real job ;)

But fair play to them for making a career out of it.

Hanging on their every word however, is not something a person should do.
You seem to confuse hanging on their every word with reading their writing and understanding their POV. As opposed to some fanboy who has their undies in a bunch because a director can't tell a coherent and compelling story. :cwink:

Everyone was in one mode of acting: Sleepy line reading....except for Ewen, Ian, and the dude who voiced Watto.

Everyone was in one mode of acting: Sleepy line reading....except for Ewen, Ian, and the dude who voiced Watto.
Ewan is the shiny beacon of hope in the prequels. Ian I like in TPM. As it went on, he got worse to me. Watto was well voice acted, and Portman tried in TPM. Failed, but at least tried. She stopped trying after that.

What motive do you think critics somehow inherently bring to a film?

Everyone brings some amount of predisposition to any work. Someone whos read a lot of fantasy stories might be either thrilled to see certain things brought to life in a film or bored because certain tropes may be tired out for them. Meanwhile a non-fantasy fan may be perplexed by things they aren't familiar with or blown away by things they've never seen before.

If a person doesn't understand what they are watching, they shouldn't be writing reviews criticising it. That isn't professional.:cwink:

As to motive. This is their job, They need people to tune into their programs and read their articles.

And how is watching movies an actual job. :huh:

Portman was doing her Eartha Kitt impression in TPM, or acted like she was a lost tourist on set. I felt bad for her though because she didn't get the support that she needed.

Being able to articulate your opinions does not make them any more value than someone who cannot - it just means you talk and write.

Actually yes it does. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. But not all opinion is created equal. Some are based in sounder logic, wider perspective, and better textual evidence than others. Otherwise no one would tuck their tails and run from discussions once they have been soundly beaten.

You seem to confuse hanging on their every word with reading their writing and understanding their POV. As opposed to some fanboy who has their undies in a bunch because a director can't tell a coherent and compelling story. :cwink:

There is actually no difference between the two, :)

And why do you need their point of view?

So, do fans and their friends overselling it or the film is indeed not so bad?

Y95qpkl.jpg

[YT]NRISmm3dpVw[/YT]

Portman was doing her Eartha Kitt impression in TPM, or acted like she was a lost tourist on set. I felt bad for her though because she didn't get the support that she needed.
True. No wonder she kind of threw in the towel. Have you seen Lucas "direct" a scene from the prequels? Nothing.

The problem of the prequels that it confuses storytelling with 'plot telling'.

That is beside the point - the fact is that they were not complex and nothing about the politics (which probably comes to about five minutes in all three films) is in anyway confusing.

My point was that I doubt Warcraft is difficult to follow if you have never played the games.

There is actually no difference between the two, :)

And why do you need their point of view?
Who said I need it? I enjoy it, on a film lover level. The only ones threatened by such opinions are those too sensitive about stuff they want to see. They don't have the confidence to enjoy what they say they enjoy. They seek validation and once not given, lash out.

Actually yes it does. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. But not all opinion is created equal. Some are based in sounder logic, wider perspective, and better textual evidence than others. Otherwise no one would tuck their tails and run from discussions once they have been soundly beaten.
Which is exactly why Trump loves the uneducated. :funny:

The prequels weren't complex. They were convoluted. The two are often conflated.

My point was that I doubt Warcraft is difficult to follow if you have never played the games.

You shouldn't have to supplement whatever book/comic/video game/trading card/tv show something is based on to make sense of a cinematic narrative. It should work on its own terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"