Duncan Jones' Warcraft - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of something like The Witcher, so much of what makes these games fun, unique experiences is almost strictly down to that agency. That is what takes these cliched stories and ideas, and makes them something else. Uncharted is very much you as Indiana Jones. Which is perfect for a game, but different once you start adapting it.

Yeah a lot of these stories are really derivative or just patchwork stories and archetypes from classic movies when you get right down to it. But the games give players agency in the stories now.

Movies can't duplicate that experience.

Outside of something like The Witcher, so much of what makes these games fun, unique experiences is almost strictly down to that agency. That is what takes these cliched stories and ideas, and makes them something else. Uncharted is very much you as Indiana Jones. Which is perfect for a game, but different once you start adapting it.

i think uncharted would still do very well problem is there is so many sci fi fantasy films over the years that hurts warcraft and makes things cliche but outside of Indiana Jones and national treasure we rarely get treasure hunting adventure films like uncharted

best parts of uncharted is the story and characters imo

It gets into a weird territory when you're adapting games, because games wear their influences on their sleeves. And they were able to get away with that (and stand out) because it's a different medium.

It gets into a weird territory when you're adapting games, because games wear their influences on their sleeves. And they were able to get away with that (and stand out) because it's a different medium.
Exactly what I have been trying to explain this entire time. Games are "derivative". All stuff is nowadays, but nothing is more brazen about it then games, because they are a different medium and thus they get so much slack for it. It is exactly why I find the vast majority of game stories to be mediocre to horrible. But that doesn't keep me from having tons of fun with them. Final Fantasy being a Japanese Soap Opera isn't a big deal, because this isn't film. You change that when you bring it to film.

i think uncharted would still do very well problem is there is so many sci fi fantasy films over the years that hurts warcraft and makes things cliche but outside of Indiana Jones and national treasure we rarely get treasure hunting adventure films like uncharted

Yeah I agree and I think while uncharted is obviously like the modern day Indiana Jones it does its own thing enough to stand out and feel fresh.

I love Uncharted. It isn't like Indiana Jones, it is Indiana Jones. Like what would happen if a kind who grew up watching Indy films decided to be a treasure hunter. Nat is so Indy, down to the wit, skill, knowledge, relationship with the opposite sex and bumbling nature, it is scary. They even bring along the super natural twist.

I would rather see a Tomb Raider movie than an Uncharted movie because at least you'll have a female led adventure movie, than another white dude who sorta like Harrison Ford but not.

on the topic of video game movies, I really wish Doom didn't suck. Playing the new game now and it makes me wonder how can anyone mess up the concept of an adrenaline fueled ride with an action hero archetype mowing down legions of demons? Hell, even Doom 3's story could be the back drop since it was actually pretty good.

Yeah I agree and I think while uncharted is obviously like the modern day Indiana Jones it does its own thing enough to stand out and feel fresh.
What is its own thing? The cast of characters? Because please, go back and watch the Indy films. They are all there, with the exception of Sully who is an obvious trope.

Doom the movie took out the most interesting thing about damn games: opening a portal to HELL.

Doom the movie took out the most interesting thing about damn games: opening a portal to HELL.

Yeah, Resident Evil in space...WTF? Man that pissed me off...and it sucks cause that FPS part was pretty cool even if it was edited poorly.

It had Rosamund Pike when no one was casting Rosamund Pike in anything. So I can't complain about the Doom movie too much. :funny:

What is its own thing? The cast of characters? Because please, go back and watch the Indy films. They are all there, with the exception of Sully who is an obvious trope.

That's why I'm more forgiving to the franchise because it IS a game, and the Indy property is dormant in the video game world.

Uncharted is a great series, but I don't know how much of an impact i'll have as a movie series.

I love Uncharted. It isn't like Indiana Jones, it is Indiana Jones. Like what would happen if a kind who grew up watching Indy films decided to be a treasure hunter. Nat is so Indy, down to the wit, skill, knowledge, relationship with the opposite sex and bumbling nature, it is scary. They even bring along the super natural twist.

Saying the similarities are "scary" implies that it was coincidence.

However, if the two characters are really that alike then it coincidence but a copy.

I've never played the games so I'm going by what you said above.

It's not a coincidence because that was the intent. It was a conscious decision.

That's why I'm more forgiving to the franchise because it IS a game, and the Indy property is dormant in the video game world.

Uncharted is a great series, but I don't know how much of an impact i'll have as a movie series.
Yeah, it gave the world that Indy love it needed on consoles. Which is a sad state really, because I have liked the Indy games over the years. When they cancelled the Indy game last gen, that hurt, a lot.

i'd rather see an uncharted movie than another indiana jones personally :yay:

Saying the similarities are "scary" implies that it was coincidence.

However, if the two characters are really that alike then it coincidence but a copy.

I've never played the games so I'm going by what you said above.
It was the intent. They meant to do it. If you want to call it a copy, it is more then fair. It is also exactly why I don't think it would work as a film series for anyone who isn't a fan or simply has never watched an Indy flick.

I would rather see a Tomb Raider movie than an Uncharted movie because at least you'll have a female led adventure movie, than another white dude who sorta like Harrison Ford but not.

As a white guy myself, I wholeheartedly agree.

Based in what us said about Uncharted here I woukdnt see the point of making it into a movie if it just an Indy clone.

i'd rather see an uncharted movie than another indiana jones personally :yay:
That is of course your right. But I think video game fans, which I am apart of, need to have a bit more perspective on this stuff. So many act like their beloved games are original. They aren't. We are kind of already seeing this with the reviews for this film. Even the positives suggest well worn material.

And by the way people, Assassin Creed is the Matrix.

It was the intent. They meant to do it. If you want to call it a copy, it is more then fair. It is also exactly why I don't think it would work as a film series for anyone who isn't a fan or simply has never watched an Indy flick.

Okay, but your use of "scary" made it seem like you were suggesting it was a coincidence. That is what the phrase means in that context.

Okay, but your use of "scary" made it seem like you were suggesting it was a coincidence. That is what the phrase means in that context.
I said "scary" because this is apparently shocking to many fans of the series. They will swear on the originality of the series. But if you show them piece by piece, it becomes more apparent. A series which does in fact have two of my favorite games of all time, so I have nothing against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"