Eternals Eternals Spoilers Thread

I think it's premature to have thoughts on this. Let's see how they explain it. That being said, the backstory and appearances are comics accurate in both cases so Thanos has a human-looking brother in the comics.

They're artificial beings, but artificial beings made of flesh and blood, best I can tell.

If we waited for every possible explanation, this place would be dead. But like I said, i hate it in comics as well. The MCU has made changes to the comic counterparts so improving upon family resemblance wouldn't have been bad.

I guess you can look at the Eternals now as 3d printed A.I. or something, I also don't like this take on the Eternals. They could have just kept it simple but now they have to explain Thanos and why, if he is a Titan Eternal, why did he get snapped away?

This movie has already set the precedent for an eternal becoming human so I don't see why that wouldn't work in this case.

They can use the same reasoning as in the comics, Alars and his wife were eternals but changed their physiology to human. Therefore they had children, one of which had the deviant gene. That way you have both thanos and eros born of eternal descent and born on titan.

But are they human now if they are born of humans?
This movie has already set the precedent for an eternal becoming human so I don't see why that wouldn't work in this case.

They can use the same reasoning as in the comics, Alars and his wife were eternals but changed their physiology to human. Therefore they had children, one of which had the deviant gene. That way you have both thanos and eros born of eternal descent and born on titan.

What comic is that from? That brings up some new questions.

So, am I the only one who got a good chuckle out of how the final fight was basically "Superman vs Flash, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern"? *cough*

For a film where one of its major complaints is the over abundance of exposition to explain stuff, requiring more complex explanations to explain why things are the way they are because they couldn't give the Eternal's a simpler origin just doesn't seem like the right way to go. But they already went that route, so I guess it just leaves this path. Or hell they might not even touch on this at all and just move on to the next story beat.

Eh, not really. They were created sure, but they aren't made of circuits, gears, etc.

Yeah that robot misperception spread like wildfire

Again... They chose imagery that particularly evokes pop culture tropes about cyborgs and robots. A cosmic warehouse lined end to end with blank protoforms or whatever but they look like robots and then we are told their memories are stored in some way.

I don't think it's on my or anyone else's inability to suss out the truth as they presented it in a way that very, very easily makes one go "So... They're robots?"

It feels like an attempt at "streamlining" given all the decades of expanded narrative and retcons from the source material and I respect that this is often a necessary thing to do but there's also many cases where they foul it up and create issues where there were none if they had been closer to the books.

I think this is one of those cases. On both those levels, giving the audience the wrong impression about the inherent nature of their characters and creating a bit of a mess that now they will either spend time having to explain AGAIN what a two hour plus film apparently couldn't do clearly or just handwaving it away in future appearances...

It's sub optimal and it falls squarely on the shoulders of the creatives behind the camera and yes that includes Fanboy Messiah Kevin Feige.

I guess the question is what is a "robot" in this context. If it's a machine made of metal, they aren't robots. If it's an artificial construction built the way they are, then, sure, they are that. They aren't born here and didn't grow up.

The comics combines some of those elements as well. In the comics, they were certainly born, but they weren't born as Eternals. Once the Celestials got their hands on them, they were transformed into what they are now. Also, given the way they reconstruct themselves (since Neil Gaiman wrote for them), they have become more and more programmed machines in their portrayal. They were technically born as hominids hundreds of thousands of years ago, but they're constructed entities nontheless.

I guess the question is what is a "robot" in this context. If it's a machine made of metal, they aren't robots. If it's an artificial construction built the way they are, then, sure, they are that. They aren't born here and didn't grow up.

The comics combines some of those elements as well. In the comics, they were certainly born, but they weren't born as Eternals. Once the Celestials got their hands on them, they were transformed into what they are now. Also, given the way they reconstruct themselves (since Neil Gaiman wrote for them), they have become more and more programmed machines in their portrayal. They were technically born as hominids hundreds of thousands of years ago, but they're constructed entities nontheless.
Exactly. And this is all underlined at the end of the film when the Blue Fairy makes Pinocchio a real b...err...Sersi makes Sprite a real girl. I didn't find the robot thing confusing at all.

It was explained in Eternals annual that the celestials were uni-minds of an entire planet encased in armor, so maybe they just took a piece of that mind and made an eternal. If the celestials are uni-minds encased in armor, this is from a comic not the movie mind you, then the eternals are just a minimind encased in an intricate anthropomorphic case.

It was explained in Eternals annual that the celestials were uni-minds of an entire planet encased in armor, so maybe they just took a piece of that mind and made an eternal. If the celestials are uni-minds encased in armor, this is from a comic not the movie mind you, then the eternals are just a minimind encased in an intricate anthropomorphic case.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it actually would kind of make sense. Granted, it would make the Celestials effectively a more cosmic and comic booky version of the ( Mass Effect ) Reapers. . . but you know, they kind of are anyway. ;)

Which segues into two "cosmic affairs" questions the movies leaves me pondering:

1. Why did Tiamat help the Eternals kill her?

By which I mean, *did* Tiamat have any choice or involvement, or was it purely an unintended side effect of how the Emergence process normally works, vis a vis networking with the local Eternals? Obviously, the simplest answer would be "it was unintentional and undesired," especially since its not at all clear Tiamat had any agency or awareness before being "born". However, a newborn god is still a god, and probably shouldn't be assumed to follow the limits of helplessness of a newborn living being. . . and Tiamat clearly had enough of a mind that Unimind-Druig *was* succeeding in putting her back to sleep with his telepathic powers. You would think those would be completely useless if the Celestial had no volition or power pre-Emergence; a baby can't chose to not be born.

So, if you conclude that Tiamat did in fact have volition and power. . . was it just an incredibly unfortunate oversight that the one thing she had zero ability to control was her connection to the Eternals? Or did the choices and decisions of the various Eternals effectively convince Tiamat "Okay, your probably right, lets not blow up Earth. Well this is going to hurt"? If Tiamat had some say in this, that might certainly help explain Arishem's relative leniency. . .

( This also kind of suggests some other questions, like "How dead *is* Tiamat?" or "What are the effects and consequences of having the body of a god present on Earth?" Like, is the site of the Emergence now just a really weird looking bit of otherwise perfectly mundane geography? Or are there exotic substances and energies present? )

2. What is the deal with Ego?

I wouldn't say anything in Eternals actually puts the lie to Ego's claim to be a Celestial. However, he definitely doesn't seem to be a normal Celestial. Is Ego the result of an Emergence gone horribly wrong, leaving a Celestial who is crippled without their normal body? Is Ego a "feral" Celestial, possessing the nature of that species but none of the "upbringing"? Either way, why did no other Celestial ever contact him? Or for that matter, kill him, if his nature or ideology were anathema?

As far as ego I posted about this before. Here it is again
I didn't really like that ego was changed to a celestial in gotg, but I think I might be able to connect ego to the celestials.
In eternals annual it is mentioned that Celestials are Uni-minds of entire planets encased in armor. Ego,at least the MCU ego, could be a uni-mind he just didn't dawn any celestial armor. Maybe he doesn't fully understand himself. He does have the same desire as the celestials do in this movie which is to spread their seed to all the planets to make more celestials. Ego says he doesn't know where he came from, maybe his armor was cracked and just his uni-mind was floating in space. Ego might have fought galactus when ego was a fully encased celestial, then galactus destroyed his armor and he just kept floating in space as a uni-mind. Just a theory.
To add to this I would also mention that we see Ego's brain in gotg 2 but you could also interpret it as a Uni-mind.

As far as ego I posted about this before. Here it is again
I didn't really like that ego was changed to a celestial in gotg, but I think I might be able to connect ego to the celestials.
In eternals annual it is mentioned that Celestials are Uni-minds of entire planets encased in armor. Ego,at least the MCU ego, could be a uni-mind he just didn't dawn any celestial armor. Maybe he doesn't fully understand himself. He does have the same desire as the celestials do in this movie which is to spread their seed to all the planets to make more celestials. Ego says he doesn't know where he came from, maybe his armor was cracked and just his uni-mind was floating in space. Ego might have fought galactus when ego was a fully encased celestial, then galactus destroyed his armor and he just kept floating in space as a uni-mind. Just a theory.
To add to this I would also mention that we see Ego's brain in gotg 2 but you could also interpret it as a Uni-mind.

I mean, yes, this all works mechanically. The bigger issue is more, why does Ego not *know* any of this, and why haven't any of the other Celestials helped him or at least made contact with him? That is the real mystery.

I guess you can look at the Eternals now as 3d printed A.I. or something, I also don't like this take on the Eternals. They could have just kept it simple but now they have to explain Thanos and why, if he is a Titan Eternal, why did he get snapped away?
I mean, Thanos was snapped away along with all of the enemy forces. There was no biological qualifier. If he had killer robots in his army, they'd have been snapped, too. IIRC, his warships got snapped, which were non-biological. So that's not really a problem.

I think the issue is more that none of the Eternals got snapped because none of them are traditionally "alive." Thanos' snap was supposed to eliminate half of all life in the known universe. But it never applied to Eternals because of this loophole. They basically aren't biological lifeforms.

They are advanced robots with cosmic energy.

I think the issue is more that none of the Eternals got snapped because none of them are traditionally "alive." Thanos' snap was supposed to eliminate half of all life in the known universe. But it never applied to Eternals because of this loophole. They basically aren't biological lifeforms.

They are advanced robots with cosmic energy.
where does Groot fall on that loophole
groot-disappear.gif

say, whatevery planet Groot is from plant-based life is the primary
biological lifeforms... were half the plants only on that planet eliminated? or were half all plant life eliminated? if so? wouldn't that be counter-intuitive to the whole concept of creating more resources for the remaining half? honestly, I took issue with many of the Guardians having been "Dusted" as most of them were either the last/only of their kind, or from planets where Thanos already attacked (in his crusade to balance the universe) but, that's another story, for another time....

and with that said, I lost my train of thought on where I was going with this rant

'Eternals' Writer Confirms One Character Won't Return At All

The writers confirm that Ikaris is in fact dead and we shouldn’t expect to see back.

Sorry but that sucks, apart from Sersi he is the most known Eternal of them all.

Well thats stupid.

got to agree there, they already have the perfect set up in place to bring back (at least alternate versions of) any characters we lost... in that their are supposedly many versions of them on different planets across the galaxy

seems like a wasted opportunity to not re-use the actors/actresses to play new versions of the characters, with slightly different perspectives/ personality/ looks (some maybe even alien in appearance) from having different experiences from their time on their perspective planets

Last edited:
where does Goot fall on that loophole
groot-disappear.gif

say, whatevery planet Groot is from plant-based life is the primary
biological lifeforms... were half the plants only on that planet eliminated? or were half all plant life eliminated? if so? wouldn't that be counter-intuitive to the whole concept of creating more resources for the remaining half? honestly, I took issue with many of the Guardians having been "Dusted" as most of them were either the last/only of their kind, or from planets where Thanos already attacked (in his crusade to balance the universe) but, that's another story, for another time....

and with that said, I lost my train of thought on where I was going with this rant

Groot is a sentient biological lifeform. A flora colossus.

I really think Kro should have survived and been taken by Arisham at the end along with the other Eternals, at least the Deviants wouldn't have been such a waste then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"