Comics Fan Backlash... Clone Saga vs. OMD?

And that is where this "story" goes so wrong...they made this "Maximum MArriage" arc into a MAGICAL MAximum Marriage arc.

HAving a big time villian pop up out of the blue, (the anti-marriage fairy as i now want to call him)...pop up and offer no marriage in trade for an old lady living longer is plain nutty. Not believable.

And now...to retcon it...we will have to revisit the anit marriage fairy...and maybe Loki using HIS MAGIC to reinforce marriage and reality...lol....i mean...i don't care to see ANY of THIS or ANY of THAT.

It is absurd, to put it lightly. VERY FORCED. No wonder JMS said as much as he did, at this point in time. I am sure at a a later point he will say more.

^To be fair, while Mephisto is out of place in the Spider-Man mythos, his role in OMD isn't really the same as his potential one in the Clone Saga.

Dude! His role is exactly the same... His trick MIGHT be different but the Highly powerful, super duper Mystical Deus Ex Machina, that is really out of place in Spidey mythos, solves a crisis that Marvel has... (which in both cases was ironically a married Pete...) It's the same thing... Somehow I'd raher have the clone MJ from Spidey:TAS than having Joe Ques... Mephisto rape the marriage...

And up next....the retcon of OMD....

Loki and his "marriage fixing powers" VS. Mephisto: The (lame new) "Devourer of Marriage".

Oy.

My tummy aches at the thought of this magical mumbo jumbo mess.

Married people with elderly relatives dying in the Marvel Universe better watch out....the anti-marriage fairy WILL show up on JQ's watch!

LOL

This is SUCH a JOKE.

See? That's just plain fan ignorance right there.

The marriage split is NOT an idea that Joey Q just sprouted out from nowhere.

Many writers have balked from writing Spider-Man over the last 20 years because... a) they either felt like they didn't want to write about a married Spidey or b) they had the creative inability to write about a married Spider-Man.

Either way, despite the fans loving the idea of a married Peter & MJ, it's been a big hinderance to Marvel's writers for 20 years, so in one form or the other, it was decided that it had to go. That doesn't mean I like the idea, but if it's done properly, I can live with it and move on.

In 1973, the powers that be at Marvel felt like they couldn't do anything more with Gwen's character, so they had her killed, probably to the shock and outrage to many Spider-Man fans. Yet people talk about that story nowadays like it's the greatest thing that ever happened to the character. And I'm not going to pretend that OMD will have the same impact to Spidey readers in 30 years from now, but as I mentioned in the previous paragraph, if it's done properly, I can live with it and move on.

I read the stories of the Amazing Spider-Man every month... not The Amazing Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson-Parker. Again.... if it's done properly, I can live with it and move on.

Anyhoo.... that's just MY two cents...

:yay:
i just dont understand what is so terrible/difficult about writing a married spiderman. do we really want this character that we love to be miserable for the rest of his life?

NO the writers are lazy and when you see a writer saying "I never get to write classic Spidey or cover those classic themes of the golden age Spidey or those ideas," they mean. "****, I can't copy the same forumlas as Stan Lee and Gerry Conaway, I can't even copy Wolfman, Stern or DeFalco...I'm going to have to be original and think up new things to do with the character...IT'S TOOO HARD!"

That is it in a nutshell. They think it can be fresher if Peter is in his bazillionth love triangle than married. Way to go Marvel! :whatever:

This is not a very fair fight. Heh.

First of all One More Day isn't even really finished yet. After the third part we all kind of have an idea where this is GOING but we don't have a clear outcome yet.

But the stories are just really different and come at different times and under different editorial processes.

The Clone Saga was a rather unique idea that, not only worked in continuity, but added excitement and intrigue to the Spider-Man books. I remember those books when they were hitting the shelves and every week was like a mad rush to the comic shop to see how things turned out with Peter's clone.

One More Day was a lot like, "Oh, man...I really hope this doesn't suck like all the other major crossovers have for the past two to three years...".

The Clone Saga, in my opinion, suffered BECAUSE of the fan outcry. If Marvel held it's stance and didn't buckle to the fans the Clone Saga wouldn't have been so crazy and drawn out. They changed a lot of crap in that story because fans got mad at Ben Reilly being the true Peter Parker.

One More Day has spawned out of the ideas of either Joe Quesada or JMS. Or it was a joint effort. But either way One More Day is just a vehicle to set things to a certain way so that creators and future creative teams can have some new and interesting things to do with Peter Parker.

But Clone Saga vs. One More Day? It's not even a challenge. Clone Saga is/was/and will always be, in my opinion, some of the best era of Spider-Man stories. Yeah, there were some HORRID stories in there too but there were a ton of great storylines and characters to come out of that.

One More Day will, most likely, be forgotten about in a year or two. Trust me.

QFT!

Yeah, I was going to write a post, but that's it right there but better.

One More Day sounds worse. Clone Saga was bad, but if it hadn't been dragged out as long it wouldn't have been so bad.

Oh, and after OMD, Baby May probably isn't coming back is she? :(

You know, you really only need to bring it down to the basics to see who wins this fight. Lets say no one knows what the actual intent of the clone saga or OMD is, basically that we didn't know that the clone saga was meant to replace Pete and that OMD is mean to get rid of MJ.

Basic Premise of the Clone Saga: What would happen is Spider-man's clone had never died, and went on to live his own life, and now he comes back to meet Peter?

Basic Premise of the Clone Saga: What would happen if Aunt May is dying and Mephisto offers Pete to revive Aunt May if he can wipe Pete's Marriage from reality?

Now, when you just look at the basic premise of both of those stories....which one seems more stupid? To me it's not a contest, OMD wins the "most stupid storyline" bout easily. The basic premise of the Clone Saga was actually fairly interesting. OMD's storyline just seems dumb. I mean, it would make a bit more sense if Mephisto wanted Pete's soul....but his marriage? That just seems.......stupid.

I mean, it would make a bit more sense if Mephisto wanted Pete's soul....but his marriage? That just seems.......stupid.

Look at it in terms that he wants their "love"... helps a bit to make a little sense...

Not much... but it helps just a tad.

:csad:

Look at it in terms that he wants their "love"... helps a bit to make a little sense...

Bingo. Mephisto isn't asking for their rings and marriage documents, he wants their actual love for each other.

Bingo. Mephisto isn't asking for their rings and marriage documents, he wants their actual love for each other.

That's better then just the Marriage....but still, why not just ask for their souls? I mean, if he really wanted to ruin their love, then why doesn't he use his great reality warping powers and send MJ pictures of Pete cheating on her? It certainly seems like it would take less work.

That's better then just the Marriage....but still, why not just ask for their souls? I mean, if he really wanted to ruin their love, then why doesn't he use his great reality warping powers and send MJ pictures of Pete cheating on her? It certainly seems like it would take less work.

I think the idea was that taking people's souls had a tendency of backfiring (e.g. Ghost Rider). Instead, leaving a hole in a person's soul--such as taking their love away--would suffice in leaving that person miserable.

You know, you really only need to bring it down to the basics to see who wins this fight. Lets say no one knows what the actual intent of the clone saga or OMD is, basically that we didn't know that the clone saga was meant to replace Pete and that OMD is mean to get rid of MJ.

Basic Premise of the Clone Saga: What would happen is Spider-man's clone had never died, and went on to live his own life, and now he comes back to meet Peter?

Basic Premise of the Clone Saga: What would happen if Aunt May is dying and Mephisto offers Pete to revive Aunt May if he can wipe Pete's Marriage from reality?

Now, when you just look at the basic premise of both of those stories....which one seems more stupid? To me it's not a contest, OMD wins the "most stupid storyline" bout easily. The basic premise of the Clone Saga was actually fairly interesting. OMD's storyline just seems dumb. I mean, it would make a bit more sense if Mephisto wanted Pete's soul....but his marriage? That just seems.......stupid.

All fair points, but both always had a specific agenda, (various people who worked on the project have all discussed this.) To have a younger single Spider-Man. But CS had various back doors, in case things went wrong. And things went VERY wrong...

I can't help but feel that don't these guys feel worried after the last attempt? I dunno, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"