Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 2

Ok, saw it again. Was able to stay awake for virtually all of it(would nod off for a second or two occasionally toward the end but I don't think I missed anything crucial). It's definitely good. I enjoyed the movie and it was entertaining. It was about on par with IM3 for that factor yet lacking anything that would piss me off like the Mandarin twist. Malekith was pretty forgettable. He's a plot device, not a character. But the fight with him and Thor was great. All in all I'm settling on an 8/10 for this one which is the same score I gave Thor1. I liked certain aspects better and worse in each film but they average out the same. So I guess this wins the year for me by default among superhero movies which is something the first Thor didn't get to do because of Cap.

Are we seriously talking about convenience in a movie being a problem?!? Guys, every freaken movie has convenient moments to advance the story. This is absolutely ridiculous. The entire Joker-gets-caught-on-purpose aspect of TDK is so unbelievably convenient it's almost laughable. I can't believe this is even a discussion. Poor T:TDW. You guys are nitpicking the most unimportant aspects of the movie and using it as a reason not to like it.

Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif

So, those who saw it in 3D, how many of you did get the Captain America 5 minute preview? I would like to see it, but I have been reading that many people got nothing more than the CA WS trailer that's already online. So, is Disney just lying to try and get more people to see the more expensive 3D, or is there a legit 5 minute preview, or is it in just select cities?

It's more like a 2.5min preview ..... they show the "Before we begin, does anyone want to get out?" elevator scene in it's entirety. Then they transition into a full trailer, one with new scenes that weren't in the other trailer.

That elevator scene is pure badassery. I gotta hand it to Marvel, they're smart by attaching that to the IMAX 3D showings of the film in order to get people to pony up some more money.

What I learned throughout this thread is that people will never be satisfied. We live in a post Avengers and TDK world in which everybody wants that same level of quality for every CBM. People can't just go out and enjoy a movie without being overly and unnecessarily critical. This is how comics work. Is every single issue great? No. Most are so so and just okay, and every here and there you'll truly get something great. It's the same with these movies, we're not going to get TDK or Avengers level quality for every one of these films. I can understand not liking the villain, or the amount of humor, but a lot of the other things I've been reading are just nitpicky at it's best.

Yeah, but comics and film are two different mediums so peoples expectations are always going to be different. Being nit-picky is saying something like the final action sequence was too short, that's more of an individual criticism. It's different when there's a collective opinion that something particular is wrong, you can't label something a nit pick if multiple people are finding a common fault.

Yeah, but comics and film are two different mediums so peoples expectations are always going to be different. Being nit-picky is saying something like the final action sequence was too short, that's more of an individual criticism. It's different when there's a collective opinion that something particular is wrong, you can't label something a nit pick if multiple people are finding a common fault.

A nitpick among a statistically insignificant group of people posting on a message board? Just curious .....

The most common complaints are the villain and humor and I'm fine with that. But when people are complaining about things like Jane finding the aether is ridiculous to me.

The most common complaints are the villain and humor and I'm fine with that. But when people are complaining about things like Jane finding the aether is ridiculous to me.

Like I said previously, it least it wasn't your generic damsel in distress crap. The problem is more with the techno babble and explaining of the convergence than it is with Jane's role in it all.

There was nothing wrong with how Frigga's death was handled. It was one of the longest sequences in the whole film. Beautiful to look at btw.

What's embarrassing were the early reviews on here acting like they blew over it in five seconds.
The problem I had with it was you barely get to know Frigga, and then they act like her death matters a great deal in the funeral scene. But then no one seems to care outside of Loki. Odin is a little grumpy, but there is no real reflection, no real attempt to grasp the idea of losing someone you have known for hundreds, for thousands of years. Thor doesn't seem to care his mother died or his brother died. He cares more about Jane's potential date. The film doesn't seem to care as it is too busy cracking the jokes as the universe is about to go out.

And they of course follow up the funeral scene with the Stan cameo.

It is a part of the overall criticism of the writing and how lazy it is overall.

Just got back from a second viewing and I gotta say, it was much better. I was more than a little disappointed when I left the premiere, mostly with Malekith. He didn't improve on a second watching, but without any expectations for him being a great villain, I think I was able to appreciate the rest more. It's up to a 7 or 7.5/10 for me now.

Oh, and I'm going to be on thehodgepodgepodcast.com next episode to talk about it. :)

The problem I had with it was you barely get to know Frigga, and then they act like her death matters a great deal in the funeral scene. But then no one seems to care outside of Loki. Odin is a little grumpy, but there is no real reflection, no real attempt to grasp the idea of losing someone you have known for hundreds, for thousands of years. Thor doesn't seem to care his mother died or his brother died. He cares more about Jane's potential date. The film doesn't seem to care as it is too busy cracking the jokes as the universe is about to go out.

It is a part of the overall criticism of the writing and how lazy it is overall.

People handle things differently. Some cry, and some want revenge.

One issue I'll say that isn't in the movie's favor is that more than any other MCU film this movie is not for the uninitiated. You can go into IM2, IM3 or TA cold having seen none of this all before and still get through ok. But you'd be lost in TTDW and that limits any kind of expansion they might get.

People handle things differently. Some cry, and some want revenge.
The only want that wanted revenge was Loki. Odin was at least consolidating, losing himself in his work. Thor, Mr. Overly Emotional did nothing to show he angry. He is cracking smiles on trains and glass sliding down buildings.

And the rest of the sequence loses itself in buffon Dark Elves and Darcy cracking jokes. Is there really any debate about that?

The only want that wanted revenge was Loki. Odin was at least consolidating, losing himself in his work. Thor, Mr. Overly Emotional did nothing to show he angry. He is cracking smiles on trains and glass sliding down buildings.

And the rest of the sequence loses itself in buffon Dark Elves and Darcy cracking jokes. Is there really any debate about that?

Did Thor not set out to kill Malekith?

Oh Thor had that angry scene with Loki. Plus one of the points this film is making is the maturation of Thor's character. He's got a job to do and the entire Asgardian universe is depending on him to get it done. Not the time to wallow in grief.

It was aight. Loki was the best part of the movie, with the [BLACKOUT]Captain America cameo being an unexpected highlight that got to show off Chris Evans' sarcasm chops in a unique way[/BLACKOUT]. Some of the visuals were fantastic and some looked so OTT in color-correction and digital imposing, like the skies of the Dark Elves' world. I always hate when people say CG looks like a video game, since it basically never does, but the opening had a very cutscene-y feel to it.

The final battle was great and I didn't think the humor interrupted the flow of things, even if plenty of it throughout the movie felt a little forced. Like they were more obligatory humor moments than ones that felt naturally weaved in by the writers. Speaking of which, it's very apparent that several different writers worked on the script. The off-kilter structure and muddled character stuff (namely Malekith's shockingly unthought-out blandness), as well as hefty bits of exposition, showcase it.

I was also surprised they didn't touch on the romance from the first anywhere near as much as Feige said they would. He was saying all the right things about how they should delve into whether or not the two even like or know each other, but then I guess the script made its rounds and they either scrapped or ignored that point.

As I mentioned, Loki's the best part. Because even though he's a villain, he's almost like the voice of reason. Since his humbling, Thor is always so serious and dramatic about nearly everything, but Loki clowning it up this time is perfect to be his foil and say, "chill the **** out" while maintaining the drama of what's happening. I dunno, he's just weirdly more relatable than Thor.

Basically, this and Thor 1 sort of balance each other in a way. Thor brought the surprising heart, charm, and playfulness, while The Dark World brought the action, stakes, and aesthetic (for the most part). I had fun and Loki was fantastic, but I think this may have been one of their weaker movies. I think if Thor was more relatable, or at least had an engaging personal arc in this (I thought this was going to be all about him learning more personal sacrifice? There was a teeny bit of that, but it felt almost empty), it would have been vastly improved. And all the people *****ing about Loki not using his shapeshifting in the previous movies are not watching these movies right.

I agree that the funeral scene lost some of its weight because we never really got to know Frigga. It was the same awful formula The Walking Dead has used so many times--build up a character and give them something to do two minutes before they die. It's not enough to make anyone care.

I also found Thor's lack of reaction after to be strange.

On the flip side, the funeral scene was outstanding. It looked fantastic.

I'd love a sequel where Thor journeys to Hel to get Frigga back and has to confront Hela. Or did Frigga go to Valhalla?

Dennings did have an arc! She realized that she loved her intern during a climatic moment. :D

But gotta love her character because these kind of movies NEVER have a character like Darcy. If they have a comic relief character, it is usually male. I think she was an extremely lively and unusual addition to the movie.

I frankly want even more of her next time. If I were the writer of Thor 3, I would make her one of the co-leads. I think she is a priceless character.

I already have a hope for her which will more than likely never happen.
I'd like it if she were some twisted love interest for Loki.
I know, I'm deranged, but I definitely think that she has some serious potential to be the girl that isn't warrior or some typical love interest fodder, but just a normal girl with a real personality. I'd like to see her reaction to Captain America.

I agree that the funeral scene lost some of its weight because we never really got to know Frigga. It was the same awful formula The Walking Dead has used so many times--build up a character and give them something to do two minutes before they die. It's not enough to make anyone care.

I also found Thor's lack of reaction after to be strange.

On the flip side, the funeral scene was outstanding. It looked fantastic.
I agree, the sequence looks great. It is just kinda hollow.

Did Thor not set out to kill Malekith?
He went after Malekith for Jane. If he had listened to his father she'd be dead, but Malekith would have never got the Aether.

Oh Thor had that angry scene with Loki. Plus one of the points this film is making is the maturation of Thor's character. He's got a job to do and the entire Asgardian universe is depending on him to get it done. Not the time to wallow in grief.
I am not asking for super amounts of grief. I am asking for him to not seem so damn casual when confronted with Malekith.

Loki was able to get both of his jobs done while still showing the effect of what has happened to him. Odin as well, though it isn't paid much attention.

And if we are talking the maturation of Thor, he wouldn't have been sulking for the past two years over Jane while he had a job to do protecting the Nine Realms. He wouldn't have left Asgard at the end, the one place available to him that can give him access to actually protect all Nine Realms.

Isn't that interesting. I want to protect the Nine Realms. But I am going to do it by stranding myself on Earth...

I think all the soldiers went to Valhalla.

He went after Malekith for Jane. If he had listened to his father she'd be dead, but Malekith would have never got the Aether.

Do you think he didn't get his revenge by stopping him, and with him ending up dying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"