Fast 8 - Part 1

I would say the if the characters weren't likeable, then people wouldn't be coming back to these movies. I really didn't care about Han that much but after watching him in two movies, it definitely made his death in Tokyo Drift more bittersweet.

Well yeah they don't hate the characters but they come back for the craziness more then the family.

Exactly. The resurgence of this franchise began because Diesel and Walker came back together in 4, the two characters people actually cared about. Then they made people care about Tyrese, Ludacris, Jordana Brewster, Michelle Rodriguez etc.

And the franchise jumped almost 300M when The Rock (current biggest star in the world) came on board.

And the franchise jumped almost 300M when The Rock (current biggest star in the world) came on board.

Domestic for Fast 5 and 6 is 209 mil and 238 mil respectively,
with less than 100 mil openers

But you know, even back then (circa 2011) The Rock wasn't superstar he is now. He was doing movies like "Faster" and "the Tooth Fairy."

I thought Cipher and Lettie were fierce! I hope they would have a fight scene between each other in F9.

I suspect Cipher is not much of a fighter.

This franchise just blows my mind. They are entertaining movies but I just don't grasp the idea that 532 million in ticket sales worth of people had to go see this opening weekend. Just floors me.

68 other countries made it what is today. Basically the world loves Vin Diesel. When he's racing cars. You now see why Helen Mirren was all, "I begged Vin to give me a role."

It has done great a lot of places, but it is that China number. It only did 100m domestically. Probably won't get to 300m. Its insane.

These movies are not high art by any means but at least the characters are likable and entertaining, unlike say the Transformers movies.

The action scenes are more memorable than CGI models colliding into each other for 2 hours.

You expect memorable scenes like the freeway chase in 6 with the tank AND the double whammy Airplane(with the longest runway ever)

7's climactic scene just puttered out. 3 cars evading one drone? and the implausible falling building.

I feel like Tom Cruise should be in Fast Nine as the villain.

The action scenes are more memorable than CGI models colliding into each other for 2 hours.

You expect memorable scenes like the freeway chase in 6 with the tank AND the double whammy Airplane(with the longest runway ever)

7's climactic scene just puttered out. 3 cars evading one drone? and the implausible falling building.

I have a hard time watching the end of 6 just because of the 300 mile long runway. Just rediculus

I heard Vin Diesel was rushed to emergency from suffering a facial stroke after attempting to show some emotion.

I liked his emotional scenes.

But you know, even back then (circa 2011) The Rock wasn't superstar he is now. He was doing movies like "Faster" and "the Tooth Fairy."

Yeah, a lot of people say that this franchise has the Rock to thank for the recent fame but I think it's the other way around as well. Before he entered I can't think of a lot of movies that would put him up there with the biggest stars.
It just seems that this franchise was perfect for him and vice versa.

Also, it just blows my mind the kind of money this is making.

I dont get why people are surprised this is doing so well. The last 3 have only gotten bigger with each installment. It's like being surprised rain is wet at this point

Last edited:
This was pretty good

Pros:
-For the most part if gave me everything I want in a Fast & Furious movie. They didn't top the car skydiving sequence or the car building jumping, but things were still cool
-Tyrese. I know he's a love him or hate him character, but I think he's hilarious. He's my favorite. My audience loved him too. I'd watch a movie with just him. Loved his "shining" moment in Iceland too
-Statham. When he first showed up and had that back in forth in prison with The Rock, I thought his acting even by this series' standards was terrible. He made all these weird facial expressions. But after that he was great. His action scenes were awesome. They really need to make a Shaw family spin off
-Theron. Best villain easily. I wish she was more of a physical presence and actually fought but she was great. Don't know why they gave her the white trash vacation Predator dreads though...
-I liked Scott Eastwood's character. He was crazy good or anything but I thought he played his role well. They should expand him and give him some story in the future. On another note: how are you going to be the son of Clint Eastwood and every role I see you in your constantly the butt monkey/getting constantly punked

Cons
-The main flaw: something was missing and I don't know what. And before anyone says anything it wasn't Paul Walker. All due respect to the dead, but even after the 4th movie (they really f***ed up not calling it "4 the Fast & the Furious") he was being pushed out in favor of The Rock and more Vin Diesel. I can't put my finger on what was missing though. Maybe it was because Dom/Diesel spent so much time away from everyone else
-Dom/Diesel's reason for going rogue was stupid. I stayed away from the marketing so I don't know if it was revealed then. I didn't see why he didn't just say "Hey Cypher has _____. Help" he didn't even try and fail to get the message out. I'm sure, narrative wise, they wouldve had Cypher figure it out. But still. I get why he did after the reveal of [BLACKOUT]the son[/BLACKOUT] but he didn't know about that from the jump. And the character that returned:[BLACKOUT]Elsa Pataky. I mean that character was barely in the last 2 movies so why should I care she died[/BLACKOUT]. And it was sooooo obvious that was going to happen
-Dom was forgiven way too easily at the end. But that's to be expected. ANd you know what so was Statham's I mean he killed Han. Sure it was revenge but still
-Natalie Emmanuel's character. She's gorgeous. Hottest woman in the cast imo, but she really brings nothing and just wastes screentime. I'm just not impressed by eye candy characters that actually have main roles. You can have a very hot character (Rodriguez, Theron, Gadot and Mendez in previous movies) who also are interesting to watch because they have personality or are badass. Emmanuel just hacked, which Luda already does, and rolled her eyes. Just kinda boring

All in all as I said it was pretty good, but I felt something was missing. I don't know where I'd rank this one because I havent seen Fast 6 or Furious 7 more than once. But I liked this one.

7.25/10

No idea what to do for the 9th one. As I said in another thread, they have to save space for the 10th and alleged final film.

It's psylockolussus, resident troll.

Honestly, i never quite understood the fascination people have with this franchise.
The last one i saw was the 6th, the one before Statham, and i found it completely forgettable.
The last scene, the last fight, on the plane, was, imo, one of the worst action sequences i've seen in a long time.

Before that, they were all...meh.
Popcorn movies galore and nothing more.

I'll eventually watch the 8th...maybe in 2 or 3 years.

The fact that i don't quite like Vin Diesel might also help.
I find him a horrible actor, one that makes Keanu Reeves an acting god.
The only good role he ever made was Riddick, because the role fit him like a glove.

Last edited:
I have a hard time watching the end of 6 just because of the 300 mile long runway. Just rediculus

Someone on YouTube made a video showing the stuff happening outside and inside the plane at the same time so it's somewhat more believable in terms of length of runway. Still somewhat ridiculous but not as long as it would first imply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"