The Rise of Skywalker For those that have seen it, a spoiler thread...

It's a bit baffling that Rey seemingly told no one that she can skype Ben either. I thought she would've at least told Leia that.
It may have been intended to be done, but Fisher's death stopped that. It could also be that she was simply uncomfortable with letting anyone else know that she could do it.

When Finn said, "Rey, I never told you!"

Do we think it was that Finn wanted tell Rey that he has a thing for her, or was it that he knew she was a Palpatine?

When Finn said, "Rey, I never told you!"

Do we think it was that Finn wanted tell Rey that he has a thing for her, or was it that he knew she was a Palpatine?
I was wondering if he was going to tell her he was force sensitive? It's weird they made such a big deal out of it, only for her to kiss someone else and for them to never actually finish it.

Fair enough. Especially since it would have been around the time he was turned into a human raisin.
I like to think that a young Clone of Sidious, was the father, then eliminated...same difference.

Good things
Ben Solo did one Anakin could not. Sacrifice himself for another. Darth Vader died to wounds sustained. I thought that the power to heal was interesting as that was what Anakin had wanted the whole time.

Palpatine was forced...but it just proves more than Rian shouldn't have been anywhere near these films as he destroyed any set up from episode 7.

I really was banking on a Hayden cameo. Kind of disappointed.

Thought we might have seen a legion of Jedi behind her (spirits) show up. When Palp says she had no one.

Good things
Ben Solo did one Anakin could not. Sacrifice himself for another. Darth Vader died to wounds sustained. I thought that the power to heal was interesting as that was what Anakin had wanted the whole time.

Palpatine was forced...but it just proves more than Rian shouldn't have been anywhere near these films as he destroyed any set up from episode 7.

I really was banking on a Hayden cameo. Kind of disappointed.

Thought we might have seen a legion of Jedi behind her (spirits) show up. When Palp says she had no one.
uhh... what?

Darth Vader saved Luke Skywalker from death by the electrocution that Emperor Palpatine was bestowing on our hero. He had to sacrifice his belief, his loyalty, and himself so his son could live.

Reactions: Bim
I disagree. He lived after. He did what he could save his son. Ben did it for someone who wasn't even family. E.g. Anakin and Padme.

I disagree. He lived after. He did what he could save his son. Ben did it for someone who wasn't even family. E.g. Anakin and Padme.
Then it's semantics. Same reason you still link the prosecution against the perpetrator of a hit and run vehicular homicide--regardless if the victim died in seconds or days later.

And saving a family or stranger bares no difference in an act of heroism. At least, it shouldn't in the public eyes. If that's your opinion, however, I'll respect it... i just see you in the minority of this view.

But broadly speaking, the two are very similar--if not identical.

Last edited:
I'm really sick of this notion that Rian Johnson left the franchise somewhere IMPOSSIBLE to pick up from. Yeah, he eradicated Rey's lineage and Kylo's master, but that was to actually go somewhere new with this franchise.

Instead we basically just got the ending of Return of the Jedi again. The rebellion beats the all powerful empire, and the bad guy sacrifices himself to save the protagonist after beating the Emperor.

We’re the Sith Troopers clones, actually? And, why would any Sith Star Destroyer be tied to a navigation device...? That’s never been necessary and how would they attack separate planets if they’re all tied together. That was the dumbest mcguffin since the droid army satellite thing in The Phantom Menace.

I'm really sick of this notion that Rian Johnson left the franchise somewhere IMPOSSIBLE to pick up from. Yeah, he eradicated Rey's lineage and Kylo's master, but that was to actually go somewhere new with this franchise.

Instead we basically just got the ending of Return of the Jedi again. The rebellion beats the all powerful empire, and the bad guy sacrifices himself to save the protagonist after beating the Emperor.
I hate this argument as well. It's not like we were at the point of no return after TLJ there was so much that could've been done. And the cast keeps talking about "the trio is back together!" like it was Rian's fault they weren't when JJ literally split them up at the end of TFA.

How hard was it to write something original?

I will say this about Terrio, his need to address online complaints in one line explainers is annoying. It was bad in BvS, and it is much, much worse here.

Look, as much as they were split up in TFA, they were much more split up in TLJ.

ST betrays everything Luke and the Rebels were and accomplished in the original.

Demise of Skywalker.

Last edited:
The shot of the star destroyer crashing onto Jakku next to another already destroyed star destroyer pretty much symbolically sums up this entire trilogy in a nutshell.

I've been thinking about the way Sidious is defeated some more and it occured to me, why the hell didnt Abrams have both Ben and Rey deflect the lightning to kill Sidious?

I am more perplexed that the Sith Dagger wasn't used in the finale. Really would have been good to pay that off.

I was with it emotionally, but I don't think the showdown works. Couldn't Palps just -not- do the lightning when it starts hurting himself? Why does he never just stop the lightning?

JJ is a coward. I strongly suspect that is something from Treverrow's original script.

The film lacked serious balls in committing to sacrifice, but I was more bothered by both the Zorri and 3PO fake-outs than Chewie.

They REALLY did Hux dirty in this movie, I genuinely feel bad for Domnhall!

Tran did a lot worse than Gleeson, damn. I believe both characters were dumped for fear of backlash.

"Hey Rose, we're going on an adventure!"

"I can't, I have to stay here and do math."

"Hey Rose, we're going on an adventure!"

"I can't, I have to stay here and do math."
I have zero interest in the character, or her "arc" and she completely weighed on Finn, and derailed his story.
Yet they should have just used the freed "horses" from her stupid story arc in the previous film everyone is crying was ignored. And revealed it's now Jannah and her people being the ones caring for them.
Have someone say we won't be able to use speeders, and Rose pops up with an idea, Her and Finn go recruit them, and gaining Jannah and her warriors along too!
They would have still added Jannah (same back story and connection with Finn), and found an actual use for Rose that connects to her (otherwise useless) arc.

Last edited:
Is anyone else surprised that we never once saw Coruscant in this trilogy? I mean we never even saw on what the status of the New Republic was during the events of these films. At times, I felt like I was just watching a story about a war between two small factions (First Order and the Resistance).

I'll be honest and admit to being a Reylo shipper, and was glad to finally see that pay off. That anticipation for the kiss was killing me!

In my theater some guy in the back yelled "Incestuous!" when it happened which made the crowd crack up.

Also one of my favorite parts of the movie was that Force Skype-lightsaber fight between Rey and Kylo. Thought the idea was really cool, even if it didn't make that much sense.

Last edited:
Nothing in this movie had stakes or satisfying payoffs.

Chewie is dead :( No he's not :)
C3PO's memory is wiped :( No it's not! :)
Poe's boring love interest died :( No she didn't :)
Kylo Ren is irredeemable :( Ben is back! :)
Rey is a Palpatine :( She's a Skywalker :)

Such a boring and totally uninspired movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"