Game of Thrones General (Non-Book Related) Discussion Thread - Part 1

The HBO chief spoke with Variety during the cable-network's Golden Globes party to reveal that he's seen rough cuts of each episode of Game of Thrones' final season. He was also full of praise for what he'd seen (what else would he say?) and compared each episode to a full-fledged movie.

"It’s a spectacle. The guys have done six movies. The reaction I had while watching them was, 'I’m watching a movie.' [David Benioff and D.B. Weiss] knew the bar was high. They’ve exceeded the bar. I’ve watched them twice without any CGI and I’m in awe. Everybody’s in for an extraordinary treat of storytelling and of magical, magical production."

HBO chief says Game of Thrones' final season feels like six movies

:woo:

I'm sure Sansa is worried/expecting Dany to be just another Cersei type.

That or perhaps Sansa is becoming more like Cersei in terms of protecting her family, “Everyone who isn’t us is an enemy”. Can’t wait to see more!

That or perhaps Sansa is becoming more like Cersei in terms of protecting her family, “Everyone who isn’t us is an enemy”. Can’t wait to see more!

Cersei and Littlefinger taught her well.

The way that it's cut, it does make it feel like Sansa has an almost repellant look in her eyes, almost Cersei-like. I just don't feel like we have time for a lot of this, but I guess we'll see. I certainly hope that I end the series with Sansa alive and more respected. I hope they don't make her out to be too much of a villain.

But then again... it wouldn't make sense for her to like kneeling to Daenerys. So, we'll see.... maybe give them an episode to warm up to each other. It's exciting to see the two meet, regardless. I'm freaking stoked for this show. This is going to be one of the highlights of 2019 for me.

I think Sansa is only a villain to those that harm her and her own. As long as Dany doesnt betray or hurt the Starks she should be safe from Sansa and Arya.

As for the time to deal with this, if as is reported each episode is feature length and like a movie we've got about 9 hours of content left. That's enough time to deal with Sansa mistrusting Dany at first. Plus, this will very likely be wrapped up by the end of Episode 2. Dany arrives at Winterfell in Episode 1 and by the end of Episode 2
Winterfell is burned down and in ruins and the refugees are fleeing south.

Sansa will have other things to worry about after that.

Even though each episode is like a movie, I do hope that it moves at a relatively quick pace. As I see it, the fuse was lit in season 1, and it's just now hit the powder keg. Things have to move fast, because the situation has become so crazy. Like Winterfell... I don't see how Winterfell cannot get attacked in episode 1, right? Like.. it's not that far from the Wall, and the Wall has now been breached.

Even though each episode is like a movie, I do hope that it moves at a relatively quick pace. As I see it, the fuse was lit in season 1, and it's just now hit the powder keg. Things have to move fast, because the situation has become so crazy. Like Winterfell... I don't see how Winterfell cannot get attacked in episode 1, right? Like.. it's not that far from the Wall, and the Wall has now been breached.

Winterfell is about 1500 miles from the Wall. And while the Night King has a dragon, his army is still on foot and has to move 1500+ miles to reach Winterfell. Even with the wights not needing to rest and eat that's a long distance for a hundred thousand half rotten corpses to travel.

One of the scoops/leaks said the pace this season is relentless. Last I heard, not confirmed, the season plays out something like this:

Episode 1 is a positioning episode of sorts then it's off to the races.

Episode 2 seems to be the destruction of winterfell by the Army of the Dead and the Golden Company.

Episode 3 is the refugees arriving in the South and being in deep **** with Cersei and her army. There was a rumor Jon is imprisoned in the black cells by Cersei.

Episode 4 is the battle between the living and the dead.

Episode 5 is the battle to decide who sits the iron throne.

Episode 6 is the episode that deals with the aftermath and wraps everything up.

Its possible Episode 4 & 5 are a two parter of sorts that deals with who will sit the Iron Throne during the battle with the Army of the Dead.

I’m laughing at the idea of the Night King purposely slowing the dragon down to wait for his slow moving army on foot below.

well i think that layout is wrong and the show doesn't care about time.

I really hope we don't get more of Sansa being insecure and petty.

I guess a lot of this will feature Essos then, to have that many non-white leads.

well i think that layout is wrong and the show doesn't care about time.
To keep it all the way real with you I didn't either. Common sense would tell you they take awhile to get to where they're going .

I really hope we don't get more of Sansa being insecure and petty.

I'd describe it as protective and mistrustful. Which she is right to be. She doesnt know Dany. To Sansa, she is the pretty face queen that leads a horde of barbarians and now after weeks of staying with her Jon returns kneeling to her. For all Sansa knows Dany is a Cersei in sheeps clothing. Someone that doesnt really care about Winterfell, the North, and the Starks.

To keep it all the way real with you I didn't either. Common sense would tell you they take awhile to get to where they're going .

I checked the director line up:

• Episode 1: David Nutter
  • Episode 2: David Nutter
  • Episode 3: Miguel Sapochnik
  • Episode 4: David Nutter
  • Episode 5: Miguel Sapochnik
  • Episode 6: David Benioff and Dan Weiss

Sapochnik said he filmed the biggest battle scenes and the longest battle productions in tv history. And he was the director they hired for Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards. So to revise my outline,
Destruction of Winterfell is in Episode 3 and Battle at King's Landing with the Army of the Dead is in Episode 5.

Waiting 2 whole episodes before the dead come to Winterfell seems too long to me, but it's all in the execution.

Last edited:
Nothing said is certain at this point, I believe. There has been no leak that we can say for certain that is credible. My apologies though.

Nothing said is certain at this point, I believe. There has been no leak that we can say for certain that is credible. My apologies though.
All good. Regardless, I also wanted to put it out there as a general warning since leaks are out there.

i hope the runtime of earch episode will be longer as 50 or 60 minutes

I'd describe it as protective and mistrustful. Which she is right to be. She doesnt know Dany. To Sansa, she is the pretty face queen that leads a horde of barbarians and now after weeks of staying with her Jon returns kneeling to her. For all Sansa knows Dany is a Cersei in sheeps clothing. Someone that doesnt really care about Winterfell, the North, and the Starks.
I just hope they've left the scheming, backstabbing Sansa of seasons 6 & 7 behind. Her and Arya working together should've been a new start for the character.

I'm sure she'll be the cynic, questioning Jon quite a lot. From her perspective, the men ruin everything.. and she's not going to sit back and be a victim like she used to be. She thinks she knows best, and she'll say so when she needs to. She's turned into that kind of character.

I have no doubt that she's loyal to Jon though. She may complain a bit, but I imagine she's going to follow the spirit of Jon's orders. I could see Sansa scheming in the background, doing the dirty work that Jon is too honorable to do, but that needs to be done.

I just hope they've left the scheming, backstabbing Sansa of seasons 6 & 7 behind. Her and Arya working together should've been a new start for the character.
That's my hope too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"