Solo General News/Discussion Thread-Solo: A Star Wars Story. - Part 3

The reason 1 a year is too much is because kennedy is terrible at picking directors. How many has she sacked? 3?

Lord and Miller, Josh Trank, and Colin Trevorrow. So technically four.

None of this would have happened if it wasn't for TLJ, if episode 8 was a movie that was embraced by the fans, they would be chomping at the bit for another Star Wars movie a few months later. TLJ was double jeopardy, the people who hated it, really hated it, and the people who liked it got fatigued on Star Wars by defending TLJ to no end. The middle audience saw the the fandom in a toxic war and said, F this. A lose, lose and lose situation.

IMHO I don't think it's a single reason. I think there a bunch of things total that contributed.

The movie definitely wasn't helped by all the production toil, firing the directors, getting a new one, and rushing it to get the May 2018 release.

The movie is NOT well shot. It looks dark, murky and ugly. I'm not the only one who shares this opinion.

None of this would have happened if it wasn't for TLJ, if episode 8 was a movie that was embraced by the fans, they would be chomping at the bit for another Star Wars movie a few months later. TLJ was double jeopardy, the people who hated it, really hated it, and the people who liked it got fatigued on Star Wars by defending TLJ to no end. The middle audience saw the the fandom in a toxic war and said, F this. A lose, lose and lose situation.

Tfa has to take some responsibiliy.

There were several factors that led to Solo's performance. Ultimately, Lucasfilm and Disney felt, as a lot of fans did pre- Solo , that SW was Teflon, and that they could put out practically anything with SW label, and that and SW fans would swoon.

Now they realize they can't continue mindset, and instead have to get back on focusing on quality over the quantity of films that they release. Going forward, I think they'll be a lot less cocky, and a lot more cautious in choosing what gets greenlit , and which directors and writers visions they feel fit the direction they want to take SW in.

That's not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

IMHO I don't think it's a single reason. I think there a bunch of things total that contributed.

The movie definitely wasn't helped by all the production toil, firing the directors, getting a new one, and rushing it to get the May 2018 release.

The movie is NOT well shot. It looks dark, murky and ugly. I'm not the only one who shares this opinion.

The biggest reason was probably its release date. Had it come out in December like Lucasfilm wanted it would have done much better (Iger/Disney insisted on the May release). But it was at a disadvantage from the beginning because the concept of the movie was always going to be a hard sell.

The biggest reason was probably its release date. Had it come out in December like Lucasfilm wanted it would have done much better (Iger/Disney insisted on the May release). But it was at a disadvantage from the beginning because the concept of the movie was always going to be a hard sell.

You seen the competition in december? Doubt it would have done any better.

Ended up buying the Best Buy exclusive steelbook. Couldn't pass it up

Just started watching it, about a quarter of the way through. Some thoughts so far:

Ehrenreich's OK, not horrible or anything.

Not sure how I feel about the change to how Han met Chewie. I don't see why they didn't just use the original story.

I liked the way they showed how a world operated under Imperial rule.

Woody Harrelson is always awesome.

More thoughts when I see more of it!

I agree on Ehrenreich.

I thought most of the deleted scenes were good cuts except for the fight on Mimban and the Imperial Academy. The Mimban fight IMHO is a better way to establish Beckett and his crew, and you actually get to see who the Imperials are fighting on the planet. I can sort of see why it was cut. To speed up the runtime, and also I wonder if there were thoughts of it being problematic to seeing an Imperial force victorious over some rebels. Oh well. I always thought it was weird how in the movie, we never even see the opposition to Imperial forces on Mimban. Instead, they are all offscreen.

I would've liked to see Han's journey through the Imperial flight school before getting demoted.

Still no Tag and Bink scene on the Blu-ray.

Last edited:
Rewatching the movie last night on Blu-Ray, I REALLY do wish we can get some kind of sequel or at least a book or comic book or cartoon series that continues the adventures and show Han's time with Jabba and other bounty hunters. I think it would be a BIG disappointment not to continue this story or Qira's connection to Darth Maul. :(

Re-watched the movie again myself last night, it is a real shame we won't get a trilogy out of this. Alden grows into the role as the movie progresses and it would have been great seeing Han meet up with Jabba and have more adventures involving Qi'ra and Lando, and of course Darth Maul being involved. They really should have just stuck with the Christmas release dates.

Enjoyed the movie but I wish they hadn't felt the need to cram in all the expected plot points and instead focused on telling a good story that gave us something we hadn't seen before.

I think I would have rather seen a movie about Han's training with the Empire ending with him freeing Chewie and going off on his own. We've never seen how the Empire trained its recruits. They could have saved everything else for later.

Finally watched the film again and I still enjoy it quite a bit. I really hate we won’t get sequels to this. I too wish this had gotten the Christmas release. I really, finally feel like the TLJ backlash has subsided, and I think it’s have done much better.

I wish we got to see Lord and Miller's actual vision for the film. I don't see how it could've been much worse than the final product.

I have watched this about two times on blu ray. Still enjoy it. Should have stuck with a December release date, agree.

I have watched this about two times on blu ray. Still enjoy it. Should have stuck with a December release date, agree.
It would have done even worse if it were released in December. More competition, and Disney had Mary Poppins Returns scheduled for December anyway.

Just started watching it, about a quarter of the way through. Some thoughts so far:

Ehrenreich's OK, not horrible or anything.

Not sure how I feel about the change to how Han met Chewie. I don't see why they didn't just use the original story.

I liked the way they showed how a world operated under Imperial rule.

Woody Harrelson is always awesome.

More thoughts when I see more of it!

I agree. Just watched this for the first time. Alden’s not horrible but doesn’t feel like Solo. He’s written much whinier. And it’s hard for me to believe the Han we meet in ANH would ever go back for a girl.

I agree. Just watched this for the first time. Alden’s not horrible but doesn’t feel like Solo. He’s written much whinier. And it’s hard for me to believe the Han we meet in ANH would ever go back for a girl.

That's because what happened with Qi'ra in this film saw Han put his guard up by the time we meet him in ANH, it made him more cynical, and yet the disappointment Leia has in him when he walks away with the money in ANH sees him go back into the Death Star battle and save Luke, sticking his nose into the conflict after keeping out of it for years. Solo showed Han was always cocky but not as cynical as the guy we meet in ANH, and it shows why he became cynical, that's a character arc.

I’ll disagree. I think the sequel to this, which we most likely won’t get, was going to be that connection between Solo and ANH. I still think Han at the end of this wasn’t as cynical as the guy we first meet in the original. It definitely feels like there was supposed to be another chapter where he gets closure on Q’ira. Right now she’s still out there and he knows it.

Watched it for the first time. It wasn't top tier but it had something too it. Alden wasn't great and I would've like to see someone better in the role to see what it could've been. Even the Kessel run was a little lack luster.

In any case, they should've stuck with Xmas for it. Some distance between it and TLJ would've done it better. Probably even resulted in a sequel.

Honestly I think they're doing better things in these "side" films than they are in the main ones. A little non-Skywalker world building hasn't been bad. Would really like an ancient Jedi/Sith story.

I loved this film. Saw it twice in theaters.

Not sure if it would have done better in December, cause Aquaman turned out to be a titan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"