The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

You mean the EU that killed 2/3s of the Solo kids. The EU, that realizing their plans to do ANOTHER Skywalker Sith had to end in death, had said character have a one night stand and, ooops, knock her up. The EU, that after a long series of books that perfectly set up the next generation to take the lead, goes, oops, **** they kids, and to sideline fan favorite EU characters for the OT characters? The EU that decided that 1/3 of their modern Jedi vs Sith retread should be authored by a Jedi hating fascist?

Let me tell you, toward the end of the EU, many, many of us were ready for the OT cast to die, if just to finally move on from them.
But they would still live on in Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker. Not all of their kids died.
Someone...I don't know if it was Abrams or DLF...decided that the OT characters would have just one descendant..and they made him the villain.
Rey meanwhile, was shown in TROS as so morally superior Ben's own family didn't give a hoot when he died...they had Rey.

Bloodlines mattered precisely once in Star Wars and for a very specific reason: so Luke could find out his antagonist was his dad. I don't get the obsession beyond that. Rey being genetically a Palpatine (still a dumb decision) has no bearing on her as a person. 'Palpatine' doesn't win because Rey outlived the 'Skywalker' family. Not only does she live in complete defiance of the former, she adopted the name of the latter to do it. Rey is no more representitive of an evil lineage than Luke was.

Yeah why are people obsessing so much about families and bloodlines? A person's individual actions and choices have nothing to do with their bloodline. The idea that one's bloodline is somehow more important than one's personal autonomy is a very backwards and anti-individualistic way of thinking.

Yeah why are people obsessing so much about families and bloodlines? A person's individual actions and choices have nothing to do with their bloodline. The idea that one's bloodline is somehow more important than one's personal autonomy is a very backwards and anti-individualistic way of thinking.

It's why I think Rey Nobody was the right decision to make. Giving her a significant surname wouldn't change the life she lived, or the person she'd become. The only thing that does change for Rey is the reason she was abandoned, and whether or not she can take comfort in it.

TROS making Rey a Palpatine was dumb on paper, and even dumber in execution. It establishes the false conflict that Rey might be evil by blood, despite all of her actions saying otherwise. It also undermines itself by making Rey's parents good people, so there's even less reason to buy Rey's potential turn.

You know...I have the TROS Art Book, and there isn't any mention of either Palpatine or Ben Solo's death in it...which leads me to believe that neither were in the original script. This could account for how shoddy Palpatine's return was handled, and why there was no Ben Solo FG at the end.
There was also a LOT of Dark Rey concept art in it, far more for her appearance to originally be just a brief 'what if' vision Rey had. They also delayed both the release of the art book and the tie in novel, reprinted the art book and very swiftly recalled the original version, and the 'adult' TROS comic adaptation never made it to print. It's weird.

They just do that to avoid spoilers, even with later release dates. The TFA art book had nothing about Han's death for instance.

It did show his confrontation with Kylo though, which led up to it.

Hearing pretty good things about this new novel. Basically finally getting the full story behind the Lando/Luke/Ochi/Rey's parents, and most of all just some solid post-ROTJ Luke content.

Star Wars: Shadow Of The Sith Rights Wrongs Of The Rise Of Skywalker

Semi-spoilers in there, but it's a lot of juicy lore stuff. Palpatine's "son" is named Dathan, FYI, lol.

I will admit that this doesn't retroactively "fix" anything, but I always thought the idea of Luke and Lando on some mission to try and track down secrets of the Sith sounded like a rad idea so I'll listen to the audiobook of this.

Keep us informed, will you? I can't read or watch anything to do with SW post the Rise of Palpwalker, but I can't help being curious as to ...what other horrid plot twists DLF intend to dream up. For me the only way the 'wrongs of TROS' could be 'righted' is by pretending the entire film...never happened.

Just read a few excerpts from SotS....it's in all likelihood a good book, but what apparently they say about Rey is beyond belief. Yuk.

Go to Google.com and look up Grogu!

It's similar to Game of Thrones. They know that they screwed up so bad, that moving forward with Rey (as she has been developed) is basically uninteresting to the bulk of old-school fans.

Their only hope is to build out the universe WITHOUT moving forward.... waiting a few years... and then moving forward as if the Sequel Trilogy never really happened.

Or, they could rewrite it... a risky strategy.

What a shame. Rey, could have been good.

Their only hope is to build out the universe WITHOUT moving forward.... waiting a few years... and then moving forward as if the Sequel Trilogy never really happened.
This. I think something like that will happen indeed.

The Sequel trilogy is going nowhere. $4 billion at the box office and likely the last live action roles for Luke, Han and Leia. Disney aren't going to throw that in the bin. There is no benefit to it. Most likely, Disney are going to continue filling gaps, leeching off the original iconography as much as possible. I'm sure they'll push forward eventually, but there's still plenty to squeeze out of that lemon.

In like, a decade or so, there will probably be enough nostalgia associated with Rey & company for Disney to bring them back for something. People got excited for Hayden Christensen after the prequels.

The best thing they could do now is let the Sequel trilogy characters rest for at least another decade in terms of another film.

It's way too soon to bring them back, and while there may be nostalgia for those characters in a decade or more , fair or not, ain't there now .

If they were to do another SW film, in the relatively near term( i.e this decade), I would say a Mandalorian feature film would be the best bet.

It'd of course have to be a story which would warrant a big screen release ,and of course, it would have to cost more than a Disney Plus Episode, but not as much as a Trilogy film.

A Mando film , it seems to me, would be a much better bet than the ideas they have floating around now.

Episode 10 , should be, at least ,10 years away imo.

It's similar to Game of Thrones. They know that they screwed up so bad, that moving forward with Rey (as she has been developed) is basically uninteresting to the bulk of old-school fans.

Or, they could rewrite it... a risky strategy.

What a shame. Rey, could have been good.

Yes....I couldn't believe what they did to her in TROS, she was like a different person.

The best thing they could do now is let the Sequel trilogy characters rest for at least another decade in terms of another film.

It's way too soon to bring them back, and while there may be nostalgia for those characters in a decade or more , fair or not, ain't there now .

If they were to do another SW film, in the relatively near term( i.e this decade), I would say a Mandalorian feature film would be the best bet.

It'd of course have to be a story which would warrant a big screen release ,and of course, it would have to cost more than a Disney Plus Episode, but not as much as a Trilogy film.

A Mando film , it seems to me, would be a much better bet than the ideas they have floating around now.

Episode 10 , should be, at least ,10 years away imo.

They are planning a new film in 2025; they want a WOC for the lead role, but did say the surviving ST characters might make an appearance.

Well, I'll believe it when I see it given all of the intended projects followed by cancellations.

I'm with you there....Disney killed off my favourite SW characters, so new films featuring Rey, Finn and Poe don't appeal to me at all, but I feel for fans of those who wanted to see more of them.

I personally think DLF should focus on TV work as they seem to have a huge success with those.

I like this movie and Imho Rian Johnson ruined it with TLJ (though I like that one better now after 5 times watching).
If TLJ wouldn’t have killed Snoke, they wouldn’t have needed Palpatine.
But there are still cringe things like stuttering lightspeed

With Ahsoka’s nod to the Mortis gods, I was thinking about that place, and how cool a location it was for the final battle in that “Duel of the Fates” script. It’s one of many things I wish weren’t dropped in the process of making Episode 9. I had a brain wave though about incorporating the Father/Son/Daughter mythology into the script that could have made for an interesting resolution, as well as addressing some common complaints about the ST.

Instead of dragging Palpatine’s corpse back, use Anakin as the final ‘boss’. The confrontation on Mortis ends with Anakin Skywalker appearing to Rey and Kylo. Anakin has become the ‘Father’, intent on bringing balance to the force, and to achieve this he needs a Son (Kylo) and a Daughter (Rey). Both have been ‘destined’ to fulfill these positions and have felt the weight of external forces pulling them throughout their lives. Rey defies prophecy, choosing to leave and help the galaxy directly rather than watch from a distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"