Ghostbusters: Afterlife

So, they're screening the movie in it's entirety for the fans at NY Comic Con right now. Anyone interested in this film MIGHT want go dark from here on out.

Edit Addition:
AND the review embargo lifts tomorrow.

Last edited:
Wow that’s a nice surprise for the fans there.

Loving what I am hearing from these reviews! Really wish Sony would have moved the release up to this month. It’s the perfect movie for the Halloween season

I am starting to see some negative tweets reacting to the movie about how its "overly fan service-y", while praising the 2016 remake, which baffles me when it was the 2016 remake that basically used the plot structure of the original movie as its basis, had callbacks and winks and nods to the original for days on end, and had cameo appearances from the original actors every ten minutes.

I haven't seen Afterlife yet, so I don't know I am going to feel about the film or its "nostalgia" until I see it. But railing against nostalgia while praising the 2016 Ghostbusters movie feels odd and hypocritical to me.

Last edited:
I am starting to see some negative tweets reacting to the movie about how its "overly fan service-y", while praising the 2016 remake, which baffles me when it was the 2016 remake that basically used the plot structure of the original movie as its basis, had callbacks and winks and nods to the original for days on end, and had cameo appearances from the original actors every ten minutes.

I haven't seen Afterlife yet, so I don't know I am going to feel about the film or its "nostalgia" until I see it. But railing against nostalgia while praising the 2016 Ghostbusters movie feels odd and hypocritical to me.

I mean, there is callbacks, and then there is this movie. Every little bit about this movie from the marketing to the interviews is about "respecting the first movie". It is literally the purest form of member berries.

I'm enjoying the begrudgingly positive reviews from people like Mendelson who clearly have a huge bias against the movie.

It's really interesting how for some, mining an IP for nostalgia is seemingly OK if it's a total reboot, but somehow less than OK if you're just continuing the original story and honoring the characters that started the whole thing. It's as some are just ignoring the fact that the 2016 was essentially a modern remake of the original. Sure, I'm sure this will recycle some beats, but at least the change of setting and making it more of a kids' POV story feels like a fresh direction for the franchise.

I mean, there is callbacks, and then there is this movie. Every little bit about this movie from the marketing to the interviews is about "respecting the first movie". It is literally the purest form of member berries.
The issue I always had with the idea of "member berries" is that it paints joy in the familiar as universally the worst thing, while also ignoring the fine line between callbacks for callbacks sake, and integrating it and making it work.

I'm enjoying the begrudgingly positive reviews from people like Mendelson who clearly have a huge bias against the movie.

It's really interesting how for some, mining an IP for nostalgia is seemingly OK if it's a total reboot, but somehow less than OK if you're just continuing the original story and honoring the characters that started the whole thing. It's as some are just ignoring the fact that the 2016 was essentially a modern remake of the original. Sure, I'm sure this will recycle some beats, but at least the change of setting and making it more of a kids' POV story feels like a fresh direction for the franchise.
I have always loved the Ghostbusters. But it was never my favorite thing. This movie though, with the Spielberg crossover? This might be my favorite thing. And to watch people get upset about it, is absolutely hilarious to me.

I fully admit, the cartoon was the bigger draw to me as a kid. And I feel that is why I enjoyed 2016.

I think the movie fully lost me when they brought back the terror dogs. Which is probably around the core around my member berries issue. Well, that and the "discourse" at the beginning around this and 2016

Too much reverence might become sickly, but this film so far looks to have been smart in how its using it. I think framing this as a child-centric story will allow it an amount of whimsy. I'd prefer not having so many familiar ghosts but otherwise I have liked what I have seen. A big factor is Jason Reitman. He has a more sentimental touch, but also a sincere attachment to this property. A lot of nostalgia-baiting material is off-putting because of how cynical it is.

Bring in Jason Reitman to direct was possibly the best thing to do considering the history he has with Ghostbusters because of his father. Seems that he has hit all the right beats in introducing a new set of characters while also honoring the original characters

The thing is, you could argue it's overly sentimental and it's putting the franchise through overly reverent nostalgia goggles but....this a director who is continuing a franchise that his father made. Is there another example of that even happening before with any movie? I feel like that gives this project a layer of sincerity and a personal touch, with regard to the nostalgia. Like he has said, he is kind of the original Ghostbusters fan and he has a unique perspective on the franchise having grown up with it being such a big part of his life and family.

I'm not against nostalgia being utilized in films wholesale, it can be a powerful tool What I think we don't want is movies that feel like they were made in a corporate board room and lack a pulse. I want to feel that it's being made with care and love by someone who gets it, that's it. Give me the nostalgia, I just want it to feel earned by a good film that allows me to buy in.

I'd rather have that then Ghostbusters 2016, which didn't know what it wanted to be. Did it want to shed everything we knew about Ghostbusters by casting an all woman team and completely rebooting the continuity? Or did it want to reference and callback everything in the first movie and bring the original cast back in cameos every ten minutes (all of which were terribly distracting and took away from the new universe they were trying to build)? Did it want to use nostalgia or do its own thing? That is why that movie was a mess.

I'd rather have the director and the creative team be reverential to the material and commit to making a direct sequel that has fan service, rather than trying to tell me they are going to change everything about Ghostbusters while in the same breath pandering to me as a fan by having Bill Murry show up as a conspiracy theoriest or Dan Aykroyd playing a cab driver that shows up and says a catchphrase.

If people want to criticize Ghostbusters Afterlife for being too nostalgic, that is more than valid. But people who make that argument while singing the praises of Ghostbusters 2016 have me like huh? Like, when was the last time they watched Ghostbusters 2016? That movie pandered to Ghostbusters fans harder then a desperate creeper trying to get the woman he likes to go out on a date with him.

Last edited:
Plain and simple, I just don't love the original Ghostbusters enough to deal with its version of The Force Awakens.

Plain and simple, I just don't love the original Ghostbusters enough to deal with its version of The Force Awakens.

Hey, that's fine. If the movie doesn't interest you then that's fair and you can just skip it.

But for me, honestly my love of Ghostbusters predates my attachment to any franchise, including Star Wars. I was 3 when I first got into it. It's a seminal movie for a lot of people. My wife and I rewatch the original at least once a year every Halloween season.

Any luck we are getting Ecto Cooler I haven’t seen any sort of marketing that would tell me otherwise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"