Glee Episode V: The Sylvester Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm officially in love with Harry Shum Jr. now. His work this year is probably the highlight of the entire season.

Also, a terrific representation of the Asian- and/or Chinese-American community on television, itself a rare thing indeed.

It's just a shame that Murphy and co. don't treat Mike like an actual character. :o

Eh. I'd say it's just about equal. It just seems like more because they've actually allowed him to speak this season.

I'd say Mike's done fairly well out of this season. It's hard to remember that he only had like three lines in the first season. He's played a considerably larger role this time around (whereas his former partner in invisibility got bumped off the show), and will get a promotion to the opening titles for next year. On a show with like twenty major characters, he's managed to carve out a much larger role for himself than was originally intended.

Mike/Harry has evolved from a token character to one of the most fascinating, in that he communicates through dance rather than verbal dialogue, which makes him a virtually unique character on television. I dare say through his dance, he's probably "said" as much or more during the season than Tina, Puck and Mercedes.

Now, I like to Murphy-bash as much as the next guy, but Mike Chang is probably one of the best and most respectful representations of the Asian-American man in television (or any other media) history.

Really? I'd think that he's the one in his and Tina's relationship that makes everything have to be ASIAN would make him kind of a stereotypical one. Sure he's a nice guy and he's a sweet boyfriend, but the little we do know is stereotypical. We know he's really smart (the brainiac team), we know his parents strive to make him so, and we know he likes everything asian. ''Asian Kiss", etc.

I do seem to recall when Tina and Mike had their big fight and Mike suggested they go to Asian Couples counselling, Tina did say something to the effect of "Why does it have to be asian couples councelling?"

I guess you could say it's him being proud of his heritage, but I don't know it kind of overdoes it.

I think Mike is kind of funny because he's like some sort of wacky "American-born Asian" stereotype. He's got pushy parents, gets good grades, breakdances, and is part of the school choir. I'm surprised he isn't obsessed with his car or calls his friends the N-word, quite frankly.

The other N-word. It used to bother me to no end.

16 more days until I see Glee Live. I'm going to Philly to see them!

I think Mike is kind of funny because he's like some sort of wacky "American-born Asian" stereotype. He's got pushy parents, gets good grades, breakdances, and is part of the school choir. I'm surprised he isn't obsessed with his car or calls his friends the N-word, quite frankly.

Nomads?:cwink:

Yeah, I would like a bit more character development for Mike and Tina, it's always lame when they have 2 characters of the same ethnicity on a show and they inevitably get together

I can't even hate on the Mike/Tina pairing. They've been nothing but cute all through season 2. I feel like Mike treats Tina better than Artie ever did.

Last edited:
Yeah, what screentime they've had has been very cute.

I'm hoping that one of the five new writers will have some ideas for them, because the existing three all have their favourites by now, and Tina has pretty thoroughly fallen through the cracks.

Wait, five new writers?!? :wow:

I've only heard about one, the guy who rewrote the Spider-Man musical. Who are the others?

Last edited:
I've only head about one, the guy who rewrote the Spider-Man musical. Who are the others?

I predict a series of dangerous stunts next season.

Wait, five new writers?!? :wow:

I've only heard about one, the guy who rewrote the Spider-Man musical. Who are the others?

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. He's probably better known for some of his comic book work like Marvel Knights: 4, the F4 Secret Invasion tie-in, Angel's Revelations mini, and the adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand.

The only one of those things I've read is MK4. And I liked MK4.

For the record, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, the new writer Glee hired, is the guy who was brought on to fix the Spidey musical - he didn't originally write it. And on top of those comics he's written, he also wrote for Big Love. He could be a good addition.

Continue original songs, but focus on writing REALLY good songs instead of trying to make a radio hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"